Expired

I need a satnav and a PAYG phone - should I buy both?

Found 18th May 2012
I need a new satnav and a mobile phone for my dad.

He only needs payg and doesn't make many calls or texts.

He would also like a tomtom and I am trying to work out whether it would suit him better to have a phone that does both functions.

Would he need internet to use the satnav on a phone and how does the software compare to a tomtom?

Thanks

15 Comments

I have a Nokia E5 and have found that thevSatNav on it works as good as or better than my TomTom. The only real question is if the screen size is important for your Dad.

Original Poster

Thanks Predikuesi. Does the phone need to be connected to the internet to use the satnav function?

how often would he use the sat nav

neilc

Thanks Predikuesi. Does the phone need to be connected to the internet to … Thanks Predikuesi. Does the phone need to be connected to the internet to use the satnav function?

Err no it uses sat's >< it will drain the battery though so an incar charger is normally a must as is a cradle but many a smartphone has the googlemaps/sat nav functions.
Edited by: "Nailez" 18th May 2012

Original Poster

DAMNOME

how often would he use the sat nav

Probably only 4 or 5 times a month I'd guess.

Had a look at the E5 and the screen does look small so may need something with a bigger view.

Original Poster

Nailez

Err no it uses sat's it will drain the battery though so an incar … Err no it uses sat's >< it will drain the battery though so an incar charger is normally a must as is a cradle but many a smartphone has the googlemaps/sat nav functions.

My fault, I just assumed googlemaps needed internet connection.

neilc

Thanks Predikuesi. Does the phone need to be connected to the internet to … Thanks Predikuesi. Does the phone need to be connected to the internet to use the satnav function?

It uses the built-in GPS if it is a 3G phone. It uses OVI maps (again built-in) and I don't think it uses too much battery, though I agree that a charger should be used if using in a car. The OVI maps has a walk function, which can be useful too. BTW the GPS is free of course.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 18th May 2012

neilc

Probably only 4 or 5 times a month I'd guess. Had a look at the E5 and … Probably only 4 or 5 times a month I'd guess. Had a look at the E5 and the screen does look small so may need something with a bigger view.

get the huawei ascend g300 £100 and a 4" screen.

I'd consider one of the nokia phones with the Ovi maps function as has been said already. It has the advantage over the likes of other phones with google maps etc in that it is voice navigation (which you can customise with other voices) and as far as I am aware voice navigation with google is a coming soon feature. Additionally, you have the benefit that it does not use data if you preload the maps onto the device, which will be important to save cost on a PAYG phone. The map data is usually under 5gb for the whole of Europe (this figure taken from my old N series phone) and with the price of 16gb memory cards at an all time low this is hardly worth worrying about.

Will he use the sat nav in europe at all?
I might be getting it wrong but if he uses a phone for satnav outside the UK, wont it cost mega bucks?

Original Poster

WoolyM

Will he use the sat nav in europe at all?I might be getting it wrong but … Will he use the sat nav in europe at all?I might be getting it wrong but if he uses a phone for satnav outside the UK, wont it cost mega bucks?

Yes he may occasionally use it abroad

neilc

Yes he may occasionally use it abroad

Definately go for the Nokia Ovi solution if you ask me as you can download maps for the entire world (90 odd major countries at least) to suit your destination and avoid any data charges while still getting all the normal sat nav features other than traffic warnings. I just was lazy when I got my old Nokia and downloaded the lot just for convenience as it was only about 50% of my phones capacity. There are some very good deals on W7 phones at the moment from Nokia such as the Lumia 710 for about £130-140 plus the phone has a 3.7inch screen which is comparable to the cheaper sat navs.

Click here for nokia deals

The promo video for the Lumia 710 maps navigation.

Edited by: "Astec123" 18th May 2012

My Nokia N8 has Ovi Maps and you can pick them up for about £80

Original Poster

SouthParkFan

My Nokia N8 has Ovi Maps and you can pick them up for about £80

That sounds great - where do I find one for £80 though please?

neilc

That sounds great - where do I find one for £80 though please?

The N8 is getting on a bit in terms of age, but you'd be hard pressed to find a second hand one for £80 anywhere with a warranty, CEX sell used C grade (clearly used) models for £120. Therefore I'd go for one of the more recent Win7 Nokias personally, just purely for the added support these models will have over the next year or 2, as the n8 at this point has been pretty much forgotten by Nokia and that you can get a brand new phone for not much more money.
Edited by: "Astec123" 20th May 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions