Groups

I need help! Connecting a Sky+ Box to a TV that has no scart connections - available options?

Hey everyone, hope your having a nice morning so far.

I have purchased a new TV, Philips BDL4231C, which doesnt have scart sockets.

How would I be able to connect the sky box to the new TV. I also will need to cable/equipment by tomorrow.

I was thinking of purchased a HDMI DVD Recorder, pluging in my sky box and using the recorder to upscale the image via HDMI, but at the moment I cant afford it.

The TV has the following connections:
    HDMI x 2, Component (YPbPr) 2x, Audio (L/R) for YPbPr 2x, Composite (CVBS) x1, Audio (L/R) x1, S-video x 1

So I was thinking of a cheap s-video cable? Like this one amazon.co.uk/1-5…1-4

What are my other options. Thanks for any help in advance and rep will be left.

12 Comments

I would get a scart to Composite and L/R Audio. You will get one in any ASDA, etc

Obviously until you can get a DVD player which does HDMI. Although, for the same price you could buy a second hand SKY HD box, and use that. That would mean you get BBC HD and Channel 4 HD Also, and start to use your telly for what it's designed. You also get a bigger hard drive and the existing channels look better going through HDMI

That'll be because it's not technically a TV that you've bought. It's actually a monitor. But I agree with the first reply. Unless you have an HDMI out on your sky box (don't know if you have Sky+ HD or not).

Original Poster

Uncle Monkey;5806626

That'll be because it's not technically a TV that you've bought. It's … That'll be because it's not technically a TV that you've bought. It's actually a monitor. But I agree with the first reply. Unless you have an HDMI out on your sky box (don't know if you have Sky+ HD or not).

I only have normal sky+ at the moment!

Bryan839;5806634

I only have normal sky+ at the moment!

Call Sky and tell them you are considering cancelling unless they can offer you HD for free. Worth a try. :thumbsup:

Ps How much did you pay for the monitor

Original Poster

Uncle Monkey;5806663

Call Sky and tell them you are considering cancelling unless they can … Call Sky and tell them you are considering cancelling unless they can offer you HD for free. Worth a try. :thumbsup:Ps How much did you pay for the monitor

£250

Original Poster

bazzaric;5806609

I would get a scart to Composite and L/R Audio. You will get one in any … I would get a scart to Composite and L/R Audio. You will get one in any ASDA, etcObviously until you can get a DVD player which does HDMI. Although, for the same price you could buy a second hand SKY HD box, and use that. That would mean you get BBC HD and Channel 4 HD Also, and start to use your telly for what it's designed. You also get a bigger hard drive and the existing channels look better going through HDMI

I have got a scart block in my house, its just a scart socket, and on the other side is has yellow, white & red round holes for cables, what else would I need?

Bryan839;5806707

I have got a scart block in my house, its just a scart socket, and on the … I have got a scart block in my house, its just a scart socket, and on the other side is has yellow, white & red round holes for cables, what else would I need?

Just the composite cables like these

maplin.co.uk/mod…572

You should get them cheaper than at Maplins, as bazzaric says try your local supermarket

Original Poster

barneydog;5806783

Just the composite cables like … Just the composite cables like thesehttp://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=32572You should get them cheaper than at Maplins, as bazzaric says try your local supermarket

Just found some of those, connected it up to my current tv via the composite cables, and I cant get any picture/sound at all. Is there any setting which has to be changed on the sky+ box.

I'd stick with the s-video cable rather than composite, while s-video is still SD it's a better quality connection. You'd need an s-video cable and a two phono to two phono lead for the audio.

John

Bryan839;5806867

Just found some of those, connected it up to my current tv via the … Just found some of those, connected it up to my current tv via the composite cables, and I cant get any picture/sound at all. Is there any setting which has to be changed on the sky+ box.

Are you sure the TV display options has been set to composite and not component or HDMI?

Johnmcl7;5806907

I'd stick with the s-video cable rather than composite, while s-video is … I'd stick with the s-video cable rather than composite, while s-video is still SD it's a better quality connection. You'd need an s-video cable and a two phono to two phono lead for the audio.John

That would be a better option

One of these will give you probably the best picture on that plasma display from a sky plus box.

js-technology.com/pro…d62

I have a panny 6 series plasma display and that gives the best picture quality and its a good bit of kit. They come up used on av forums quite often.

Hope that helps. Oh and you got a bargain there at that price!

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, prob going to save up for a sky hd box.
    For now gonna use composite.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2869
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1223
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7181352
      4. Spotify Family Premium share719

See more discussions