I Need Help Connecting Xbox One X - Yamaha 7.2 Receiver?

Found 12th JanEdited by:"lettherebedeals"
Hi There, Happy New Year To All, So I have recently purchased a Xbox One X and I am really confused how to connect it to my Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Receiver? I wish to get both surround sound, 4K & HDR, the Receiver does support 4K pass-through @ 30HZ only. if I simply use one cable directly into the amp I am presuming I will NOT get the benefits of HDR & 4K which my TV supports, so do I need definitely need to connect my Xbox One X directly into the TV HDMI 2 (ARC) socket? and then simply route an HDMI cable from the second HDMI port on the Xbox One X (which reads HDMI IN from Satellite\Cable) to HDMI 2 on the Receiver? or do I? I am really confused? how do I connect it all up...

At present I have 1 HDMI cable from the Yamaha Receiver going into HDMI 1 (ARC) at the rear of my TV... I have 2 additional devices connected, a Roku Box & A Samsung Blu-Ray Player which are both going directly into the Receiver ports "HDMI 1 & HDMI 2" I will be selling my Blu-Ray player once my Xbox One X is all set-up.... but my confusion is... if I only plug the Xbox only into the Receiver, I will not get HDR & True 4K picture & sound... since my receiver does not fully support it, but if I go directly into the TV from the Xbox I will get all the benefits?

I am so sorry that I'm struggling how to phrase my question? but I hope you get the idea and hopefully someone will be able to help me with this?
Community Updates
AskElectronics
8 Comments
You need a new amp is the answer unfortunately. Going direct to the TV will probably restrict you to the audio formats the TV supports. There is probably a device that will split the HDMI output and allow you to spoof the EDID of the two devices so it will work but it might not be cheap.
You want the Xbox going straight into the TV and you really want to just send sound output from TV to receiver, so maybe use optical out. I would plug everything else straight into the TV.
There might be hope if your TV support eARC which I have only just heard of, weird that it doesn't get much hype.

lifewire.com/aud…845

Thinking about it though it's possible both devices need to support this function
Edited by: "kester76" 12th Jan
MIDURIX4 h, 0 m ago

You want the Xbox going straight into the TV and you really want to just …You want the Xbox going straight into the TV and you really want to just send sound output from TV to receiver, so maybe use optical out. I would plug everything else straight into the TV.

If the op uses an optical out from the Xbox to the receiver then he wont be able to use any HD sound formats Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio as these cannot be transferred over optical.

The op needs a new AV receiver/amp.
Edited by: "paulj48" 12th Jan
Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments, its true that optical does not support HD sound formats, which is one of the KEY reasons I love my amp so much using HDMI... if I simply go the traditional route, HDMI from Xbox into amp and HDMI from Amp - TV I am presuming I will still be able to play in full HD 1080p as well as getting all the sound formats? the amp does support 4K upscaling & pass-through, but I am guessing if I go this route I will not benefit from HDR until I get a new amp?

33045566-atG34.jpg
lettherebedeals23 m ago

Thanks for all your comments, its true that optical does not support HD …Thanks for all your comments, its true that optical does not support HD sound formats, which is one of the KEY reasons I love my amp so much using HDMI... if I simply go the traditional route, HDMI from Xbox into amp and HDMI from Amp - TV I am presuming I will still be able to play in full HD 1080p as well as getting all the sound formats? the amp does support 4K upscaling & pass-through, but I am guessing if I go this route I will not benefit from HDR until I get a new amp? [Image]

Personally until you upgrade the amp (if that's an option) I would rather have a true 4K picture with HDR and slightly lower quality sound.
Original Poster
paulj489 m ago

Personally until you upgrade the amp (if that's an option) I would rather …Personally until you upgrade the amp (if that's an option) I would rather have a true 4K picture with HDR and slightly lower quality sound.

Thanks upgrading is not an option at the moment sadly, as we speak I have just put my amp up for sale, not that I am confident it will sell but there is hope, I only purchased the amp in mid 2014, but like cars they do have a tendency to lose value quickly considering the higher-end price we paid...

The all-idea of the Xbox One is 4K & HDR to enjoy it at its true potential, I may even sell the Xbox One X since its the Scorpio Edition, still brand new, ready to be un-boxed, but there are a few on ebay all ready so its a tough call, do I sell the Xbox Scorpio?, wait until I buy a new amp and then simply buy the traditional Xbox One X... I think this may be the best route, even though I am so excited about playing the 5 4K HDR games I have already purchased in anticipation... decisions, decisions... ???? lol
Edited by: "lettherebedeals" 12th Jan
lettherebedeals2 h, 29 m ago

Thanks upgrading is not an option at the moment sadly, as we speak I have …Thanks upgrading is not an option at the moment sadly, as we speak I have just put my amp up for sale, not that I am confident it will sell but there is hope, I only purchased the amp in mid 2014, but like cars they do have a tendency to lose value quickly considering the higher-end price we paid... The all-idea of the Xbox One is 4K & HDR to enjoy it at its true potential, I may even sell the Xbox One X since its the Scorpio Edition, still brand new, ready to be un-boxed, but there are a few on ebay all ready so its a tough call, do I sell the Xbox Scorpio?, wait until I buy a new amp and then simply buy the traditional Xbox One X... I think this may be the best route, even though I am so excited about playing the 5 4K HDR games I have already purchased in anticipation... decisions, decisions... ???? lol

Keep the Xbox and Amp and save up for a new amp as they're not that expensive in late feb/march because every company wants to offload stock before April. As for HDR don't get so hyped up as it's nice but isn't going to be a massive upgrade. I don't look at my LG G4 and Samsung S8 as freak out because one is Mobile HDR Premium
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions