i need help with getting the best cracking filler.

Found 27th Apr 2015
Hey guys,
I need your help again.
I need to decorate(paint ) my little ones room, but the plaster has got the tiny crack going all around the room.
I think it's where the two plaster boards join.
What is the best crack filler I need to use?
And where can I buy it from?
Thank you

18 Comments

what sort of size is it ?
an easy fix if its a just a fine crack, buy a tube of caulk £1.50 and spread it over the crack using a wall paper scraper.it depend

Original Poster

shortchanged

what sort of size is it ?an easy fix if its a just a fine crack, buy a … what sort of size is it ?an easy fix if its a just a fine crack, buy a tube of caulk £1.50 and spread it over the crack using a wall paper scraper.it depend

The crack goes all the way across the 3 walls but it's thin as hair or mayb a bit thicker.
What ur suggesting, does it come in a tub or tube.
And what's the chalk thing?
I'm sorry I have no idea at all.

it comes in a tube, you will need a caulking/ silicone gun too you willget one for £1 in a pound shop. Just skoosh some on to a scraper and smooth it off

Original Poster

shortchanged

it comes in a tube, you will need a caulking/ silicone gun too you … it comes in a tube, you will need a caulking/ silicone gun too you willget one for £1 in a pound shop. Just skoosh some on to a scraper and smooth it off

OK thank you
Will try that.
Just checked online and it's available in screw fix and it's only 99p.

easifill. easy to sand powder filler, just mix it with water available from b and q etc

Original Poster

kash2013

easifill. easy to sand powder filler, just mix it with water available … easifill. easy to sand powder filler, just mix it with water available from b and q etc

Thank you
I'm new and this seems a little trick getting the water balance right.
Or is it straight forward?

If it's as thin as a hair then the paint will fill it if applied liberally

Ibbyk

OK thank you Will try that.Just checked online and it's available in … OK thank you Will try that.Just checked online and it's available in screw fix and it's only 99p.

if you are talking about the silicone sealant stuff, using it in this way is technically known as a bodge.
use filler. the type will depend on the thickness and depth of the tiny crack.
fill and then smooth off will a damp/wet filling knife.
sand.
repeat if necessary.
then paint.
as someone else has said, if it is very fine then painting may cover it.

Banned

cracks between ceiling and walls can only be properly fixed by applying mesh fibretape and re plastering.

any other way is a temporary fix.

decorators caulk is not silicone, it sets hard once drink and can be painted over unlike silicone.

wolfy001

decorators caulk is not silicone, it sets hard once dry and can be … decorators caulk is not silicone, it sets hard once dry and can be painted over unlike silicone.

If it really is a hairline crack you could try this:

homebase.co.uk/en/…184

Or this:

homebase.co.uk/en/…259

My experience is that you want to use the absolute minimum amount of product and smooth it as much as possible before it goes off. Otherwise you're into a sanding nightmare

Uri

Ibbyk

Thank you I'm new and this seems a little trick getting the water balance … Thank you I'm new and this seems a little trick getting the water balance right.Or is it straight forward?

No not really. just mix it with water until its like a thick paste and then just spread. if the hole is bigger mix it thicker

Red Devil one time filler is probably the best lightweight filler I've ever used

wouldn't bother with easi fill - it's good stuff, but you don't need 5kg of the stuff for a hairline crack
Edited by: "kjcoolcat" 27th Apr 2015

lukeybuilder

cracks between ceiling and walls can only be properly fixed by applying … cracks between ceiling and walls can only be properly fixed by applying mesh fibretape and re plastering.any other way is a temporary fix.

you would seriously do that for a hairline crack?

painted over hairline cracks in plaster numerous times and they dont re-appear for years, if ever.
Edited by: "chocci" 27th Apr 2015

Original Poster

thanks everyone I've bought the no nonsense caulk filler, once I've tried it, ill fill you guys in on my experience.
chocci I have tried painting over the hairline crack previously but it didn't work.
the easifill I did consider that but was a bit to much and expensive, however if this don't work then i'll give that a go.

Banned

chocci

you would seriously do that for a hairline crack?painted over hairline … you would seriously do that for a hairline crack?painted over hairline cracks in plaster numerous times and they dont re-appear for years, if ever.

if it's between two boards yes. If it's an old house it may be cotton skrim. It needs pva tape and patch skim.

I've done loads like this. been plastering professionally for 11 years.

Original Poster

Right peeps
The caulk stuff is very good.
Smooth to touch.
Love it so far.
Just need to paint it now.
Any tips on the best paint.
I'll b painting over cream paint in white.
What is the best paint.
I want a good end result.
Thank you
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions