I need help with the shortest / quickest flight from London

Found 10th Aug 2017
My Grandson with Autism hates flying but has recently asked to go on holiday with me after him not going abroad for 4 years

I think he is ready for a SHORT flight to get him used to flying again in the gentlest way possible which would be the quickest flight till he got used to things

So what is the shortest / quickest flight from London please?

I was looking on Flybe and they have some flights from London City airport to Jersey but would this be a small plane and therefore shake about a lot?

I need a smooth , quick flight to somewhere nice with a beach , if there was anything around 35-40 minutes that would be ideal!

Is there anywhere nearer than Jersey or Guernsey with a nice beach? Can you not fly to the Isle of Wight or Isle of Man? Or Cornwall even?

I do not want to go to Scotland or a City eg Manchester but a quick pop down South somewhere for a few days but only from Gatwick , Heathrow or London City but Heathrow would actually be the best

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
21 Comments

Fly to exeter

you can fly to the Isle of Man - but I have only ever flown there on a tiny bi plane (with drinks provided) at top dollar so unsure about from London but did a Google search. But yes there is an airport there - Ronaldsway. Never a cheap holiday there tho, or Jersey or Guernsey.

cheapflights.co.uk/sea…24/

Original Poster

mattmerch1 h, 53 m ago

Fly to exeter

there is no beach ... oops actually there are beaches for some reason i did not realise it was devon lol
Edited by: "NannyP" 10th Aug 2017

Original Poster

joesmum4 m ago

you can fly to the Isle of Man - but I have only ever flown there on a …you can fly to the Isle of Man - but I have only ever flown there on a tiny bi plane (with drinks provided) at top dollar so unsure about from London but did a Google search. But yes there is an airport there - Ronaldsway. Never a cheap holiday there tho, or Jersey or Guernsey.https://www.cheapflights.co.uk/search/flights-to-Douglas/from-London/departing-2017-08-17/returning-2017-08-24/

ooo a bit expensive Jersey flights were £60 return so i might stick with that

You can fly to Newquay in Cornwall.

Gatwick to Jersey with either BA or Easyjet, not a lot of short short haul from Heathrow anymore as the cost of the slots make it prohibitive . The problem with coming back from Jersey to Gatwick is that you may well end up flying around the hold a lot on the way back especially if you're looking at travelling over the summer

If you're able to travel, Flybe go from Southampton to Jersey which is a short flight. It'll be on the Dash 8 which isn't a tiny wobbly plane at all. It's a propeller plane, but it seats around 80 so it's not tiny. It is a bit noisier, but the flight is shorter and there's a lot less chance of ending up flying around the hold. Also, the airport is smaller so less stress for your grandson.

The other option you have is Easyjet's fear of flying course, but that's aimed more at adults I think and involves a discussion around what to expect. It does offer a short flight around the Isle of Wight from Gatwick so would be shorter, but you might end up sitting next to someone sweating profusely and crying which probably won't help your grandson

I know there's no beach at the other end, but Heathrow to Paris or Brussels is a short flight and has the bonus of going from Heathrow instead of Gatwick
Edited by: "Cakeboy79" 10th Aug 2017

My child has autism and when he was younger he was a nightmare to fly with. The distance was not the problem, the taking off and ear popping was. We had to sit him in the middle of three seats with me by the window and dad by the aisle. Once up he was fine but he stressed about taking off and landing. The noise of a propeller flight is something to bear in mind for autistic child because they hum and drone terribly. A jet is not as intrusive a sound. Taking off and landing are the stressful bits as opposed to the actually flying bit so you might find a slightly longer flight in a bigger plane might be better.

Easyjet fly their usual Airbus planes into Jersey. Probably your best bet for a quick flight to a beach location

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell29 m ago

My child has autism and when he was younger he was a nightmare to fly …My child has autism and when he was younger he was a nightmare to fly with. The distance was not the problem, the taking off and ear popping was. We had to sit him in the middle of three seats with me by the window and dad by the aisle. Once up he was fine but he stressed about taking off and landing. The noise of a propeller flight is something to bear in mind for autistic child because they hum and drone terribly. A jet is not as intrusive a sound. Taking off and landing are the stressful bits as opposed to the actually flying bit so you might find a slightly longer flight in a bigger plane might be better.

My Grandson screamed throughout the whole 2 hour flight so journey time is important too , it's not just taking off and landing for him But i will keep the noise of the plane in mind as that is important too

NannyP33 m ago

My Grandson screamed throughout the whole 2 hour flight so journey time is …My Grandson screamed throughout the whole 2 hour flight so journey time is important too , it's not just taking off and landing for him But i will keep the noise of the plane in mind as that is important too

Maybe some earphones and music may help. With autism preparation is key. It might sound daft but with my son it also works if you convince him before the fact that it was his idea. Try the I'm so excited you want to go on holiday with me and what a great idea to go on an aeroplane vibe. It might work. Auto suggestion. I use it all the time. I am currently working on convincing my teenager to do the college course his tutors and I think he may be able to manage instead of the one we know he will struggle and fail at. Another idea is to inform the airport and the airline before you fly as they will do their best to try and make it as easy as possible for you.

I'm not sure if a short flight is necessarily the best idea. Wouldn't a 40 minute flight require relatively steep and dramatic rises to and descents from cruising altitude? Also, wouldn't a longer midsection be better for getting him settled and accustomed to flight?

Personally, I'd stay within the UK (least chance of culture shock) and avoid coastal regions, since it seems to me that they are where flights are most prone to turbulence. I'd also give him a phone with GPS Toolkit and Google Maps (with the UK preloaded), so he can know exactly where he is at all times. Uncertainty is one of the big panic triggers for autistic minds, so that might help.

You should speak with his case worker (or equivalent) for more specific advice.

Original Poster

As I said he screamed for 2 hours solid before so shorter IS best , he knows if he is getting off something ''soon'' and can cope with that and can manage short bus and train journeys but not long ones , with the train and bus we can count down the stops so maybe something with a timer would help as he knows it is finished / over when it gets to zero ( and he loves numbers and loves counting down backwards rather than counting up forwards! )

Yes I was going to bring his ipad and headphones for him with his favourite clips etc downloaded for him and have already checked out Flybe's special assistance which seems pretty good so I reckon he will be okay

It's looking like Newquay may be the best option and is really pretty and it actually WAS his idea to come on holiday with me on the aeroplane and he used to come on holiday with me before but his anxiety got worse and it became a bit of a phobia but it did not help what he was going through at the time which I cannot go into but he has lived with me for over 2 years now and is a breakthrough he is calm and prepared enough to manage another flight / flying again as he does love holidays but needs CALM adults with him which is all I can say
Edited by: "NannyP" 10th Aug 2017

dxx1 h, 2 m ago

I'm not sure if a short flight is necessarily the best idea. Wouldn't a 40 …I'm not sure if a short flight is necessarily the best idea. Wouldn't a 40 minute flight require relatively steep and dramatic rises to and descents from cruising altitude? Also, wouldn't a longer midsection be better for getting him settled and accustomed to flight? Personally, I'd stay within the UK (least chance of culture shock) and avoid coastal regions, since it seems to me that they are where flights are most prone to turbulence. I'd also give him a phone with GPS Toolkit and Google Maps (with the UK preloaded), so he can know exactly where he is at all times. Uncertainty is one of the big panic triggers for autistic minds, so that might help. You should speak with his case worker (or equivalent) for more specific advice.

The Easyjet flight to Jersey usually cruises at 18000ft so no huge and steep dramatic rises. The Gatwick to Newquay Flybe service is usually one of their jets and will cruise at anything up to 28000 ft depending on what other air traffic is in the way. It means a shorter period in the cruise before descent, but certainly no dramatic ups and downs.

This is coming from an air traffic controller that works the airspace between Gatwick and Jersey/Newquay so I get to see the flights a fair bit
Edited by: "Cakeboy79" 10th Aug 2017

Why fly? ... take a eurostar to paris, brussels or marseille

Sorry couldn't resist.

31667475-QtIms.jpg

Go to hopper app.

Best of luck in your search. The plus point is newquay is in a lovely part of the country so you will help him overcome his anxieties and visit a pretty place. My kid who used to be a bundle of nerves flew to China a couple of years ago. As with all things with autistic kids, it just takes time and patience and a hide of leather. If the flying bit doesn't work, there are many other ways of going on holiday.

Original Poster

sam503512 h, 33 m ago

Why fly? ... take a eurostar to paris, brussels or marseille

The whole point is to slowly get him used to aeroplanes again so he can travel the world as an adult if he likes

Original Poster

Cakeboy7913 h, 2 m ago

The Easyjet flight to Jersey usually cruises at 18000ft so no huge and …The Easyjet flight to Jersey usually cruises at 18000ft so no huge and steep dramatic rises. The Gatwick to Newquay Flybe service is usually one of their jets and will cruise at anything up to 28000 ft depending on what other air traffic is in the way. It means a shorter period in the cruise before descent, but certainly no dramatic ups and downs.This is coming from an air traffic controller that works the airspace between Gatwick and Jersey/Newquay so I get to see the flights a fair bit

Would the London City airport to Newquay be the same please?

Flybe don't do a City to Newquay flight, they go to Exeter from London City which is usually the Dash 8. The only route they have from London is from Gatwick

London City flights can be a bit longer than you'd expect as the arrival route from the West has the aircraft flying over Bournemouth and then along the English Channel almost to Dover before they turn back towards London

There used to be a firm did a fear of flying gig that just took people up, looped about a bit and came back down - would that be an option?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions