I need more disk space

Found 20th Mar
I have an Acer Aspire R11 but cant update to the latest Windows 10 because i need 8GB more space but i cant do it. theres nothing on here and the operating system takes up most the memory already

What can i do?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Use an external USB stick or something similar.
I'm guessing it's one of those ultra-cheap laptops with really tiny amounts of storage? Only 32GB or similar. They're really not fit for purpose, I'd take it back to the shop and complain.
windowscentral.com/how…ces
How to install a Windows 10 update when you don't have enough free spaceThere's a new Windows 10 update with exciting new features… and you don't have enough space to download an install it. No problem.

HTH
I got the option to add external hard drive or flash drive to temporarily use as storage. But I rejected this option as I didnt have any external storage at the time. This option no longer popped up so I just uninstalled every program I could till I had enough space, updated and then reinstalled all programs again.
Edited by: "-888-" 20th Mar
Does your machine support sd cards? Insert one if so and give it a go like endless waves said 32gb laptop's are not fit for purpose
Original Poster
Yeah I have the option to use an SD card, its in there but still no space on disk 😩. It was just for surfing the web and bits of work really so didn't expect to need much space..I was mistaken lol.
Original Poster
Treboeth59 m ago

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-any-major-update-windows-10-low-storage-devicesHow to install a Windows 10 update when you don't have enough free spaceThere's a new Windows 10 update with exciting new features… and you don't have enough space to download an install it. No problem.HTH

Will check this out thank you!
MrsWhite1415 m ago

Yeah I have the option to use an SD card, its in there but still no space …Yeah I have the option to use an SD card, its in there but still no space on disk 😩. It was just for surfing the web and bits of work really so didn't expect to need much space..I was mistaken lol.

Maybe sell it and get a laptop with at least 100gb space
Have you disabled to Hibernation file?
That's equal to the amount of RAM you'e installed.
Original Poster
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell1 h, 46 m ago

Have you disabled to Hibernation file?That's equal to the amount of RAM …Have you disabled to Hibernation file?That's equal to the amount of RAM you'e installed.

I havent, no. What will it do?
Original Poster
MrsWhite148 m ago

I dont have it on here for some reason...
MrsWhite1452 m ago

I dont have it on here for some reason...

Windows 10 machines generally have it turned off by default.
Hi, the Acer Aspire R11 is a catch all code and was originally designated chromebook, if you have the complete model number then you can check to see if your product has the necessary internal connections for and internal hard drive/SSD. If your device is ultra thin I wouldn't get your hopes up though.

On a side note I upgraded windows 10 on my ATOM dual OS Chuwi hi8 which is 32GB eMMC and some of that space is used for the android OS by just compressing the drive. There's no recovery partition on the device but you don't really need one as you can copy this software to a USB stick and run it from there.
MrsWhite1423 h, 38 m ago

Yeah I have the option to use an SD card, its in there but still no space …Yeah I have the option to use an SD card, its in there but still no space on disk 😩. It was just for surfing the web and bits of work really so didn't expect to need much space..I was mistaken lol.

Unlikely SD card will be acknowledged as acceptable storage by windows updater, whereas USB storage will. If 10GB+ USB storage is not available, try: disable hibernation. Disable system restore for the OS drive (although normally disabled by default on w10). Clear all browser apps' caches. Move any chunky data files to external storage e.g. video, hi-res images, etc. If still not enough free space, acquire 16GB USB drive and use that (not an SD card in a USB adaptor). Or maybe backup data and clean-install w10 - a good excuse for a spring clean; shouldn't be any auto-re-licencing issues if the hardware remains unchanged.
MrsWhite1423 h, 35 m ago

Before you try it. Open up Windows Explorer (or whatever it's called now), right click on your C drive and select Properties, make a note of how much used space you've used.
Then close that dialogue box.

Click on the Start button and type "cmd" (no speech marks).
A suggestion should appearing saying Best Match. Underneath that should be Command Prompt.
Right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator from the list.
A new black box should appear with white text showing "C:\Windows\system32>" with a flashing cursor.

Type or copy the following where the cursor is flashing "powercfg hibernate off" (without the speech marks), then press Return/Enter.
After that, close the dialogue box.
Recheck Windows Explorer - Properties as you did to start with and you should see that less space is been used.
You have successfully switched off Hibernation. If the used space figures are the same, it is likely that it was already switched off.

If you need to switch Hibernation back on again, repeat the above, but change off to on.
1) Use Ccleaner and WinDirStar to find and remove unwanted data. There's always a little more toothpaste in the tube.

2) Use Compact to compress the contents of the Windows, Prog Files, and User folders. Google the command for more info

Failing these options, defect to:

3) Don't bother. You're really only losing 3D Paint anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants