I need some advice on space heaters...

Found 11th Dec 2015
I'm currently renovating a boat up in Scotland. I've sanded and prepped the hull - but being December, I'm now realising that I can't realistically hope for the right kind of weather to paint it! So I'm biting the bullet & investing in a heater. The area I am painting is the hull. It will be sealed by tarpaulins...and is 9.5metres x 3.4 metres x 1 metre.

According to the following website - dieselspaceheater.co.uk/ - ;

- Total Heat Required 3 KW/Hr
- Total Heat Required 10,266 Btu

I've got the following things in mind;

- Rent a diesel space heater for £140 per week from HSS (pricey - and I have to give it back!)
- Buy a Stanley LPG blower from Screwfix for £79 (+ gas bottles + rental cost of bottles)
- Buy a couple of the following electric heaters from Screwfix for £50 each (http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-st-52-241-e-turbo-freestanding-workshop-electric-fan-heater-2000w/3019d)

Advice would be much appreciated (esp' from anyone that has used the various kinds of heaters)
Community Updates
4 Comments
Edited by: "Murielson" 11th Dec 2015
Why not have a heat pump AC unit installed then you can be warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Inverter driven units are extremely cheap to run. Just a bit pricey to buy initially. They can also be used as a dehumidifier too.
Buy a space heater from eBay. And get a propane gas bottle from gasdeals or a local agent. U don't need to rent a bottle but u normally require a empty to get one refiled. But larger bottles don't normally require a empty exchange. I stay away from hss as the overpriced.
deleted494932Original Poster
kash2013

Buy a space heater from eBay. And get a propane gas bottle from gasdeals … Buy a space heater from eBay. And get a propane gas bottle from gasdeals or a local agent. U don't need to rent a bottle but u normally require a empty to get one refiled. But larger bottles don't normally require a empty exchange. I stay away from hss as the overpriced.

I had actually come around to that plan already :). I'm buying a Stanley 12.3KW heater from Screwfix in Aberdeen for £79. The boatyard owner also has a couple of empty 13kg propane bottles - and it'll cost £25 per bottle to change them at Calor's shop.
£130 for at least 2.5 days of solid heat - and I get to keep the space heater.

Thanks for the various suggestions. The army space heater did make me smile :). I'm pretty sure that would frazzle me within minutes given how huge it is!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants