i need some hd camcorder advise please guys im a bit high def illiterate!!!

12 replies
Found 4th Mar 2009
Ok so im after a new camcorder, but while im getting one i thought id get the high def version, but my problem is my computer doesnt burn high def dvd's (that i know of) and my telly and dvd player arent high def either (telly may be but lets assume its not)

Well my question is, will the camcorder be any use to me or wont i be able to play the stuff back in, well normal definition

thanks guys, appreciate it

12 Comments

When playing back on your PC you'll be able to view the video clips at HD, standard HD is 720p but even at 1024x768 you'll still see a benefit over SD resolution. It depends what you want the camcorder for.

John

Banned

The files will be saved to your computer in HD, you can then convert them into SD. As long as you've got enough storage you'll no doubt get a blu-ray writer one day just keep the original HD files.

keep the files on your PC, depending on your camera you can always transfer the files back and play them from that to you HDTV if you get one. lot of variables there, so try and get a camera that has hdmi out

Original Poster

i have loads of storage just got a 1tb lump of memory thing, so will i be able to just load them as normal onto my photoshop movie maker then?

markhodges1975;4549210

i have loads of storage just got a 1tb lump of memory thing, so will i be … i have loads of storage just got a 1tb lump of memory thing, so will i be able to just load them as normal onto my photoshop movie maker then?

Not sure about PhotoshopMM , but find out what format the camera your buying is using .I've been told you need you need a pretty fast Pc to work with HD files .Some of the new HD camcorders use the AVCHD format , whereas the new non HD camcorders like the JVC Evrio use the MOD format .You'll can convert them or use a new video editing program that imports them direct.
I was interested in buying a new 3 x CCD SD Panasonic but it means upgrading PC's and software , so I'll wait a while .

Original Poster

ricko;4550000

Not sure about PhotoshopMM , but find out what format the camera your … Not sure about PhotoshopMM , but find out what format the camera your buying is using .I've been told you need you need a pretty fast Pc to work with HD files .Some of the new HD camcorders use the AVCHD format , whereas the new non HD camcorders like the JVC Evrio use the MOD format .You'll can convert them or use a new video editing program that imports them direct.I was interested in buying a new 3 x CCD SD Panasonic but it means upgrading PC's and software , so I'll wait a while .

hi, ive bought one now so bloomin hope it works ok, it is the avchd format, the sony hdr-cx6 which looks a lovely piece of kit, cant wait for it to arrive, just hope the pc is up to the job then.
the program is photoshop adobe premiere elements 7 so am hoping thats gonna be compatible

I've recently got a Sony HDR SR12E camcorder that uses AVCHD format. Could anyone recommend editing software and writers. Unfortunately can't use Windows Movie Maker as it comes up with error message can't find codec. I can't find the codec either in Sony or Microsoft support.

The software that came with camcorder was basic Picture Motion Browser.

Sony do Sony Vegas - not sure which version to get. I'm wanting to add chapters, titles, credits, sound and general editing.

It took me 3+ hours to convert avchd format into sd and then another 25 mins to copy onto dvd using my pc. All for a 50 min recording. The quality isn't that brilliant and much fuzzier/jumpy. Having got the camcorder it would be great to copy onto dvd using same high (or close to) standard.

Any recommendions and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Charlie Brown

I have sony vegas premium 8...... I find it very easy to use, but then again the interface is exactly the same as Sony Acid pro, which i've used for years, so if you wanna go for that I'm more than happy to be on hand to give you a tutorial of how to use it.

If you fancy doing something a bit more flashy, then try adobe after effects, another programme I'm learning, allows you to add all sorts.

MinstrelMan;4564968

I have sony vegas premium 8...... I find it very easy to use, but then … I have sony vegas premium 8...... I find it very easy to use, but then again the interface is exactly the same as Sony Acid pro, which i've used for years, so if you wanna go for that I'm more than happy to be on hand to give you a tutorial of how to use it.If you fancy doing something a bit more flashy, then try adobe after effects, another programme I'm learning, allows you to add all sorts.

Thanks for getting back and tutorial offer MinstrelMan.
I've used Adobe Photoshop for serious photo editing (but not videos), also used to edit my family VHS (remember them?) movies and basic Hi8. All of which I'm hoping to transfer onto DVD at some point.

Would be happy to get something more powerful than standard editing software, but not sure if I should start at Sony Vegas and work my way up, or get something like Adobe after effects? I don't know anything about either software so will see what information google throws up.

I guess going down the AVCHD/HD route I'll eventually need a blue-ray writer and player, but wouldn't know where to start or how much would be reasonable price to pay. I'm still at the research stage. All this for editing/transferring home movies onto dvd in hight quality (ideally HD).

Charlie Brown

hang on a mo..i thought you could write any CD into a HD one on comp???? no???

After effects is a completly different layout and format than photoshop, great for special effects and intro's to movies, and you can do stuff just to make home videos look a little bit more professional. Sony vegas will fit your needs for now I think, but if you want any idea of the power of Adobe AE then check out [url]www.videocopilot.net[/url] its totally AE orientated, plenty of free, fancy tutorials too.

MinstrelMan;4566288

After effects is a completly different layout and format than photoshop, … After effects is a completly different layout and format than photoshop, great for special effects and intro's to movies, and you can do stuff just to make home videos look a little bit more professional. Sony vegas will fit your needs for now I think, but if you want any idea of the power of Adobe AE then check out [url]www.videocopilot.net[/url] its totally AE orientated, plenty of free, fancy tutorials too.

MistrelMan, thanks for the useful link :thumbsup:. I've had a look at their forums and also came across some useful information re AVCHD format.

]http//ww…chd.

]http//ww…d=a

Charlie Brown
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Aliexpress - To be trusted?33
    2. BBC4 Vietnam War43
    3. With or without cream?56
    4. Mobile WiFi calling?44

See more discussions