Groups

I need some help here, very confused today.

I honestly am very confused today, more controversy in the BB house. 'Coolio' has been going around spouting the 'N' word on a few occaisions.
    Am I missing something here?
    Is it acceptable for a black person to say the word but not a white person? Or is it more acceptable in the USA to use it as it has a different meaning?
    I find the word offensive and would NEVER use it as the word has more indepth meaning than just causing insult to someone.

Please can someone clarify where/when/who can use this word as I am bloody confused, bearing in mind Emily was immediately booted out of Big Brother but there seems not to be any action towards Coolio.

40 Comments

Banned

It's socially acceptable for black people to call each other ******s

Original Poster

lumoruk;3959112

It's socially acceptable for black people to call each other ******s

in England?
    I hear it on rap songs etc but this shouldn't be the norm surely?

after having lived in the usa for two years i can tell you that everybody says that word, but it has to end in gga and no ger! according to my mates from their who are black its ok for them to say that, even tho tbh i think its all a joke and shouldnt be used

its a term of endearment (sp?)

IMO they shouldnt allow it at all...cant boot one person out and allow other people to use it...

In other news...awesome tags!

apparently it IS acceptable-the reason being that black people are empowering themselves by "taking back" the word-never understood myself why anyone black/white or whatever would want to use such language to refer to each other but its a strange old world we live in.

we have black colleagues at work who refer to each other in these terms yet if a white staff member used it towards them they would run to personnel and that person would be sacked-confusing aint it?

Original Poster

scotland88;3959137

after having lived in the usa for two years i can tell you that everybody … after having lived in the usa for two years i can tell you that everybody says that word, but it has to end in gga and no ger! according to my mates from their who are black its ok for them to say that, even tho tbh i think its all a joke and shouldnt be used

agree, but when saying the word, its still the same whether gga or ger on the end.
    :thumbsup:

Banned

its all good in tha hood

It's a reclaimed word. Personally I think if a term is offensive, it's offensive in all races. Making it acceptable between the black population but not from white people is ironically racist.

Original Poster

barky;3959153

apparently it IS acceptable-the reason being that black people are … apparently it IS acceptable-the reason being that black people are empowering themselves by "taking back" the word-never understood myself why anyone black/white or whatever would want to use such language to refer to each other but its a strange old world we live in.we have black colleagues at work who refer to each other in these terms yet if a white staff member used it towards them they would run to personnel and that person would be sacked-confusing aint it?

yes, very.
    All a bit odd to me:?

skusey;3959160

agree, but when saying the word, its still the same whether gga or ger on … agree, but when saying the word, its still the same whether gga or ger on the end.:thumbsup:

i agree wit that, but they seem to think its different! its funny at times waking down the street with 5 or 6 big black guys saying it to each other then you hear a puerto rican saying it and they get soooo mad lol

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;3959174

It's a reclaimed word. Personally I think if a term is offensive, it's … It's a reclaimed word. Personally I think if a term is offensive, it's offensive in all races. Making it acceptable between the black population but not from white people is ironically racist.

Thats how I feel, I hate the word no matter who has said it

Xb0xGuru;3959174

It's a reclaimed word. Personally I think if a term is offensive, it's … It's a reclaimed word. Personally I think if a term is offensive, it's offensive in all races. Making it acceptable between the black population but not from white people is ironically racist.

+1 but its a strange world we live in!!

didnt think it was acceptable from anyone...

hows your music box skusey? got your Barry White?

Banned

the way i see it is like this:

its not ok for a normal person to kill someone, but it is for someone in the army

its not ok for white people to use the word nigga, but it is for blacks

end of, let em get on with it

Original Poster

louloo;3959230

didnt think it was acceptable from anyone...hows your music box skusey? … didnt think it was acceptable from anyone...hows your music box skusey? got your Barry White?

Its slowly filling up:thumbsup:
    watching a few Barry Whites on Ebay, thanks for the suggestions

Banned

skusey;3959196

Thats how I feel, I hate the word no matter who has said it

I think if someone finds it acceptable to be called it from a black person, they should no complaints at being called it by a white person. Obviously they are likely to disagree with that, but it doesnt change the fact its either offensive or it isn't. I know this will create comeback to say - yeh but it becomes racist if its used in a certain way - and I'd agree with that. But what about when its just used in the "playful" way its being used by black people by someone who associates themselves with this culture and feel part of it?

Jus sayin.

Not a term I use, nor really think is acceptable either which way.

starsparkle2311;3959304

I agree Skusey, one rule for one etc. thing is Emily said it, 'cos she … I agree Skusey, one rule for one etc. thing is Emily said it, 'cos she was trying to be cool, not negative at all, she was very naive, but also white with a posh accent, so that was her downfall, I guess:)

Well that and Charley milked it for all it was worth....

Maybe Coolio ought to be warned not to use the word as it causes offence - more so in the UK than in the USA it would seem. Channel 4 should nip it in the bud as this debate will go on and on again - it doesn't deserve the airtime.
    The word in question should be abolished as outdated and not for modern usage.

A term used by ignorant, uneducated blacks (and whites) and none of my family or friends in this country or abroad use it. :x

ps I am black........:thumbsup:

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;3959304

I agree Skusey, one rule for one etc. thing is Emily said it, 'cos she … I agree Skusey, one rule for one etc. thing is Emily said it, 'cos she was trying to be cool, not negative at all, she was very naive, but also white with a posh accent, so that was her downfall, I guess:)

Xb0xGuru;3959315

Well that and Charley milked it for all it was worth....

franbo60;3959321

Maybe Coolio ought to be warned not to use the word as it causes offence … Maybe Coolio ought to be warned not to use the word as it causes offence - more so in the UK than in the USA it would seem. Channel 4 should nip it in the bud as this debate will go on and on again - it doesn't deserve the airtime. The word in question should be abolished as outdated and not for modern usage.

All fair comments, I dont have much time for BB but I do feel for Emily as she obviously didnt realise how offensive it can be, I can imagine her listening to rap music and thinking that the word must be ok to use, she wasnt the sharpest tool in the box was she?

franbo60;3959321

Maybe Coolio ought to be warned not to use the word as it causes offence … Maybe Coolio ought to be warned not to use the word as it causes offence - more so in the UK than in the USA it would seem. Channel 4 should nip it in the bud as this debate will go on and on again - it doesn't deserve the airtime. The word in question should be abolished as outdated and not for modern usage.

somehow I just dont think that will happen-its a political minefield in this ultra pc world-I really cant see channel 4 calling him into the diary room and having that discussion.

however,I can see sheridan taking him on over the use of the word which may get interesting!

Banned

choc1969;3959342

A term used by ignorant, uneducated blacks (and whites) and none of my … A term used by ignorant, uneducated blacks (and whites) and none of my family or friends in this country or abroad use it. :xps I am black........:thumbsup:

Well said Choc. Quite agree.

(Eek that almost sounds racist!!!!!):thinking:

Xb0xGuru;3959174

Exact;y what I was going to say.

Original Poster

choc1969;3959342

A term used by ignorant, uneducated blacks (and whites) and none of my … A term used by ignorant, uneducated blacks (and whites) and none of my family or friends in this country or abroad use it. :xps I am black........:thumbsup:

How does it make you feel when, for example, Chris Rock uses it every other word? I suppose its to do with the way he says it, almost as a term of affection.

guv;3959403

Well said Choc. Quite agree.(Eek that almost sounds racist!!!!!):thinking:

it's the way you said it :x

:w00t:

choc1969;3959342

reported for racism

skusey;3959417

How does it make you feel when, for example, Chris Rock uses it every … How does it make you feel when, for example, Chris Rock uses it every other word? I suppose its to do with the way he says it, almost as a term of affection.

if you listen to Chris you'll understand that he's using it satirically.......it p's him off too

watch the clip One Step Back how blacks try to move forward in society in the states then another goes and blows it aka OJ Simpson and puts them 10 steps back

him and Richard Pryor are truly iconic black comedians

Original Poster

choc1969;3959464

if you listen to Chris you'll understand that he's using it … if you listen to Chris you'll understand that he's using it satirically.......it p's him off toowatch the clip One Step Back how blacks try to move forward in society in the states then another goes and blows it aka OJ Simpson and puts them 10 steps backhim and Richard Pryor are truly iconic black comedians

Will check it out, I love Richard Prior (RIP), seen his stage show(on video) and he was awesome

choc1969;3959342

I'll second that! :thumbsup:

skusey;3959523

Will check it out, I love Richard Prior (RIP), seen his stage show(on … Will check it out, I love Richard Prior (RIP), seen his stage show(on video) and he was awesome

Link

*warning* over 18's only advised :thumbsup:

uk.youtube.com/wat…pXI

franbo60;3959551

I'll second that! :thumbsup:

you're black too ? :?

:w00t:

More creme caramel!:w00t:

I remember in Coach Carter there was a big speech when one of the guys used it, something along the lines of "if a white person used it you'd be ready to fight him, but you're using it, you using it teaches the white man to use it" I think there will never be a 'right' answer to this question, it's so subjective. I'm on the large side and i don't mind people i know, jokingly, calling me podgy, but i wouldn't let anybody say it wihout being offended. I understand the word itself carries a lot of meaning and history, but so did 'Gay' many years ago!.

Like i said, it's all subjective, i would never call a black person it (i'm white) but if a group of people use it, and aren't ofended then it's ok i suppose.

Just my 2 cents

]http//en…uce

if you read the Lenny Bruce quote no.6 on here, i think you'll find he nailed the use of this and other 'offensive' terminology on the head. People treat the phrase as offensive, which makes it..... offensive

i call my black friends this but im h00d and we all know each other so its cool.

It would be out of order if i said it to someone I didnt know. unless I was in the a gangster style place.

(serious)

Banned

black gerbil1;3963760

i call my black friends this but im h00d and we all know each other so … i call my black friends this but im h00d and we all know each other so its cool.It would be out of order if i said it to someone I didnt know. unless I was in the a gangster style place.(serious)

Sorry BG but you certainly aren't hood wearing those designer shirts you buy, you would get the poo kicked out of you. Just saying.

Dont drop the N bomb

Original Poster

lumoruk;3964197

Sorry BG but you certainly aren't hood wearing those designer shirts you … Sorry BG but you certainly aren't hood wearing those designer shirts you buy, you would get the poo kicked out of you. Just saying.

+1
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7261380
      2. word association Game74044574
      3. Giffgaff New goodybags33
      4. Santander - Compensation1617

See more discussions