I need someone's help!

Hiya all. I'm busy writing an essay and want to get in the date when the uk telephone network was established. I'm talking about the public switched telephone network. I just can't seem to find a date anywhere on the internet! Anyone have any ideas???

13 Comments

The first commercial telephone services were set-up in 1878 and 1879 on both sides of the Atlantic in the cities of New Haven and London.

this what your looking for m8??

The Telephone Company Ltd (Bell's Patents) opened Britain's first public telephone exchange at 36 Coleman Street, London, in August. It served eight subscribers with a two-panel 'Williams' switchboard. By the end of the year a further two exchanges had been opened at 101 Leadenhall Street, EC2 and 3 Palace Chambers, Westminster, the number of subscribers totalling 200.

heres the link.......

web.ukonline.co.uk/fre…htm

wish i could help

Original Poster

Thats fantastic mate, thank you very much! I shall be adding your name to my bibliography lol!

5th December 1958? :lol:

Shengis;2077215

5th December 1958? :lol:

I think you'll find that was the 6th Shengis...

Liddle ol' me;2077238

maybe it was midnight

Original Poster

ctuk;2077244

maybe it was midnight

Ha well defended!

Liddle ol' me;2077238

Not according to Wiki, took me so long as google kept giving me info on the clap etc :lol:

]http//en…ing

Shengis;2077278

Not according to Wiki, took me so long as google kept giving me info on … Not according to Wiki, took me so long as google kept giving me info on the clap etc :lol:]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_trunk_dialling

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846070
    2. (heads up) Mini SNES price finally dropped on Amazon pre orders44
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763843
    4. Xbox One X pre order £449.99 @ Game (out 9th Nov)2342

See more discussions