Groups
    EXPIRED

I need to buy a laptop for my daughter THIS WEEK please...

I need to buy a laptop for my daughter THIS WEEK please... she will be 12 next week and am looking to spend £200 - £250... she will require a 15inch or above screen and mainly use it for homework (yeah right!) and wireless internet...

Any help or direction would be appreciated thanks....

16 Comments

I think you will have trouble buying a new laptop for £200 to £250.

I think around £300 is the low point for a new laptop.

There are a lot of these new small laptops with 8" screens, often running linux, for around £200, but not sure that will be suitable.

This one was posted a few days ago (but has since gone) so there are some around, although it was a refurb I believe.

hotukdeals.com/ite…l-/

Below are some refurbs from PC World (although am not sure I would buy a refurb from PC World).

Steer clear of Packard Bell (this is PC Worlds "own brand") and I think Advent and EI Systems are as well.

There are some Compaq and Toshiba's in the list at around £270 and £280, but for that price you can probably get a "new" (non refurb) laptop.

Try online stores like Asda, Staples, Tescos, Argos, Woolworths etc. I have a Staples store near me and they often have good deals.

pcworld.co.uk/mar…rue

PC world do have some "new" laptops at £249, see here

pcworld.co.uk/mar…rue

One is an Ei systems but the other is a Compaq.

Not great specs on the Compaq (cant expect much for the price) but it would be a good starter machine.

Once you get above the Ei sysem and Compaq you are up in the £280 and £300 price bracket

you could always go for the mobile phone option with free laptop, she gets laptop and u get free phone:) well sort of lol, works out pretty much same if u get £25 a month deal, try ebuyer.com look on the mobile section or of course try the big name mobile stores

If you can go up to £350 try this
    Acer Aspire 5720 Gemstone Laptop

Specs:
    Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 ( Dual-Core )
    RAM - 1 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM
    - Please call 0870 167 0818 for double memory offer
    Hard Drive - 160 GB - Serial ATA-150
    Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    Screen - 15.4' TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA ) - 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
    Optical Drive - DVD±RW (+R double layer) / DVD-RAM - integrated
    Graphics - Intel GMA X3100
    Bluetooth - No
    Notebook Camera - Integrated
    Warranty - 1 year warranty

Link laptopsdirect.co.uk/asp…ge=

Staples have a couple of laptops at £255 and £280, see here

staples.co.uk/ENG…tsu

karenhornby;3047534

If you can go up to £350 try this

He says he wants a laptop between £200 and £250 and you offer him one at £350.

If he can go up to £350 there are hundreds of laptops.

It is a bit like going into an estate agent and saying you want a house between £200,000 and £250,000 and he shows you one at £350,000

Original Poster

thanks everyone for the quick response....

guilbert53;3047575

He says he wants a laptop between £200 and £250 and you offer him one at £ … He says he wants a laptop between £200 and £250 and you offer him one at £350.If he can go up to £350 there are hundreds of laptops.It is a bit like going into an estate agent and saying you want a house between £200,000 and £250,000 and he shows you one at £350,000

£350 = core2 duo processor 160GB hard drive
    £250 = pentiumM processor if your lucky and maybe 40GB h/drive

in your context a difference between a 1 bedroom flat in a council estate or a 4 bedroom private mansion, I know which I'd prefer
    but I did say IF you could go up to, I didnt say you have to have this!

guilbert53;3047556

Staples have a couple of laptops at £255 and £280, see h … Staples have a couple of laptops at £255 and £280, see herehttp://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog/cat_class.asp?CatIds=21797,35750&name=UK_CL_Laptops+-+Fujitsu

That looks ok for the price to me, am also looking for a laptop for daughter for Christmas, I reckon that may do the trick thanks.

kidcat;3048799

That looks ok for the price to me, am also looking for a laptop for … That looks ok for the price to me, am also looking for a laptop for daughter for Christmas, I reckon that may do the trick thanks.

I'm pretty sure that swapping children for electrical goods is frowned upon.

Gazbert;3048975

I'm pretty sure that swapping children for electrical goods is frowned … I'm pretty sure that swapping children for electrical goods is frowned upon.

No its a perfectly legitimate trade! But I do not accept refunds or returns.:whistling:

Original Poster

kidcat;3048799

That looks ok for the price to me, am also looking for a laptop for … That looks ok for the price to me, am also looking for a laptop for daughter for Christmas, I reckon that may do the trick thanks.

this price needs vat adding so over £300

guilbert53;3047575

He says he wants a laptop between £200 and £250 and you offer him one at £ … He says he wants a laptop between £200 and £250 and you offer him one at £350.If he can go up to £350 there are hundreds of laptops.It is a bit like going into an estate agent and saying you want a house between £200,000 and £250,000 and he shows you one at £350,000

lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020

See more discussions