Groups

I need vista/laptop help please

When i turned laptop on this morning it said something about my resolution not being correct and now i have a small message up on the screen saying no external display is attached. This message won't budge either so i'm having to use laptop with the message up the whole time.

Any ideas on whats going on please?

Ta xx

9 Comments

Have you tried pressing fn + f8?

Original Poster

Russ2626;5079683

Have you tried pressing fn + f8?

What does that do? I have no clue when it comes to computers so dont be making me change my language to chinese or something lol

loobie;5079697

What does that do? I have no clue when it comes to computers so dont be … What does that do? I have no clue when it comes to computers so dont be making me change my language to chinese or something lol

Would you like some help?

loobie;5079697

What does that do? I have no clue when it comes to computers so dont be … What does that do? I have no clue when it comes to computers so dont be making me change my language to chinese or something lol

Switches between your laptop screen and an external monitor. I use my tv to display my laptop screen and the resolution must be the same on both screens. It sounds like the screen output is trying to go to your laptop screen and an external screen.

It should sort the problem but if it doesn't , you can just press it again to go back to how it was. I just tried it...

Original Poster

Yes please but i know there are some jokers on here so cant be too carefull :thumbsup:

Original Poster

I dont use any external screen and never have so thats a bit strange! I'll try what you said thanks x

Original Poster

fn + f8 didnt do anything xx

loobie;5079846

fn + f8 didnt do anything xx

It's not a standard and the key can be different on different laptops (it's fn+F5 on mine, some don't have it).

It does sound like you might have accidentally hit the key to set the laptop up to show both the external display and it's screen. Try looking along the top row of F-keys and see if you can see something that looks like two screens then hit that button (usually with fn as well).

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;5081532

It's not a standard and the key can be different on different laptops … It's not a standard and the key can be different on different laptops (it's fn+F5 on mine, some don't have it).It does sound like you might have accidentally hit the key to set the laptop up to show both the external display and it's screen. Try looking along the top row of F-keys and see if you can see something that looks like two screens then hit that button (usually with fn as well).

Thank you, i tried fn with f1 as that button has 2 screens on it but that only brought up windows help but then tried fn with f5 and it worked!
    Rep left xxx
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?56
      2. Iphone 7 - What Case?619
      3. recent price to fit a standard sized garage door56
      4. Cool kettle Bosch kettle cashback won't work. Help!22

See more discussions