Groups

I noticed my savings account increase unexpectedly by £6000+ What to do?

Please advice as to what you would do if you see a huge transaction appear in your savings account that you were not expecting?
    Notify the bank or Spend it?
    Can the bank claim back if spent? What is the legal stance?

BTW this is a business account and the transaction was made yesterday with no details other than a random number.

Thx

69 Comments

dont do anything yet see wat happen in a months time

Oh so you got my money, which I transferred by mistake?

Please transfer it back into my account. That should be all okay. :whistling:

Yes, the bank can claim it back.
    It`s also "theft" if you knowingly take the money.

Original Poster

KOGONAI;3032246

Oh so you got my money, which I transferred by mistake?Please transfer it … Oh so you got my money, which I transferred by mistake?Please transfer it back into my account. That should be all okay. :whistling:

I'll need you full name and account details to verify :-D

ukmax2k;3032257

Dont worry about anything else, just transfer it in my Paypal account..

oh damn it ended in ur account then pming you my details please resend back i will give £1000 for being honest ;-)

Withdraw it and keep it at home, you will be in a better position to argue you've spent it and it was thier mistake, but keep it incase you are forced to repay it

not sure if it being a business account would make any diference but if it was my account I'd leave it in there for a couple of months then transfer it out to another bank, I still wouldn't spend it but you should be able to get about £50 a month interest off it until they notice.

If they don't notice after a few years then I'd spend it. Personanly I'd wait about 6 years thought before spending it but that just depends how hard you'd find it to replace if they came back for it after you'd spent it.

worto.

cuzzy;3032249

Yes, the bank can claim it back.It`s also "theft" if you knowingly take … Yes, the bank can claim it back.It`s also "theft" if you knowingly take the money.

You mean all those "bank errors" in Monopoly are encouraging us to break the law?! :whistling:

worto03;3032274

not sure if it being a business account would make any diference but if … not sure if it being a business account would make any diference but if it was my account I'd leave it in there for a couple of months then transfer it out to another bank, I still wouldn't spend it but you should be able to get about £50 a month interest off it until they notice.If they don't notice after a few years then I'd spend it. Personanly I'd wait about 6 years thought before spending it but that just depends how hard you'd find it to replace if they came back for it after you'd spent it.worto.

I think this is about right, something like 6 years until it becomes yours. Sit on it and don't spend it. I bet they'll take it back though.

Banned

ukmax2k;3032257

Name: DLM

Account Number: 12345678

Sort Code: 12-34-56 :thumbsup:

The bank will take the money back, unfortunately you will not have a leg to stand on, they will debit the money from your account even if you have already taken the money out and you will have to pay any fees. It's tempting, but really not worth it.

Withdraw all your money and go on the run.

transfer it to a savings account elsewhere so as to accrue interest for you and if they ask for the money back just say you moved it from main account so you wouldn't spend it!

Banned

umanga;3032307

transfer it to a savings account elsewhere so as to accrue interest for … transfer it to a savings account elsewhere so as to accrue interest for you and if they ask for the money back just say you moved it from main account so you wouldn't spend it!

Or he could be in 2 location's at the same time!

Like your location :roll:

How are things in Oldham?

umanga;3032307

transfer it to a savings account elsewhere so as to accrue interest for … transfer it to a savings account elsewhere so as to accrue interest for you and if they ask for the money back just say you moved it from main account so you wouldn't spend it!

They'll probably ask you for 8% interest on the money that way so I'd leave it where it is.

Just tell them about it. What if it's some struggling single mum who thinks she's paid for something she's saved up for for years and mistakenly transferred in into you account by mistyping the account no.? Think about Karma :thumbsup:

DLM;3032338

Or he could be in 2 location's at the same time!Like your location … Or he could be in 2 location's at the same time!Like your location :roll:How are things in Oldham?

does that mean double interest then?!!

Oldham was chilly this morning when I left and will be dark when I return tonight!!

Give it to charity. I guarantee no court would convict you of any wrongdoing.

Banned

umanga;3032358

does that mean double interest then?!!Oldham was chilly this morning when … does that mean double interest then?!!Oldham was chilly this morning when I left and will be dark when I return tonight!!

Why don't you come and live in Sunny Lancs all the time?

The prettiest girl's are down the M62 :thumbsup:

Banned

deathtrap3000;3032362

Give it to charity. I guarantee no court would convict you of any … Give it to charity. I guarantee no court would convict you of any wrongdoing.

The DLM charity :thumbsup:

id ring the bank

or use it to buy living with reflux raffle tickets

DLM;3032377

The DLM charity :thumbsup:

Hey, a charity is a charity. I will be the middle man dealing with the transaction. I will also be taking a 50% handling fee.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

cuzzy;3032301

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6966683.stm

Thx for the article...I just wish the windfall is from a rich millionaire who wouldn't notice the missing funds :whistling:

deathtrap3000;3032397

Hey, a charity is a charity. I will be the middle man dealing with the … Hey, a charity is a charity. I will be the middle man dealing with the transaction. I will also be taking a 50% handling fee.:thumbsup:

Hey if you're taking 50% you must actually be a real charity then! :-D

Banned

ukmax2k;3032405

Thx for the article...I just wish the windfall is from a rich millionaire … Thx for the article...I just wish the windfall is from a rich millionaire who wouldn't notice the missing funds :whistling:

I believe Gordon, is giving worker's £60 this month.

Maybe they have added 2 noughts by mistake, the tax office is known for making mistakes.

Banned

Yeah they can demand it back. Though i had this happen to the tune of £5k , it turned out it was an overpayment from the lovely Tax Credit people. They are taking it back £10 per week

Banned

Foosball Chum;3032447

Yeah they can demand it back. Though i had this happen to the tune of … Yeah they can demand it back. Though i had this happen to the tune of £5k , it turned out it was an overpayment from the lovely Tax Credit people. They are taking it back £10 per week

Lucky you :thumbsup:

Supermod

English law - A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it

DLM;3032373

Why don't you come and live in Sunny Lancs all the time?The prettiest … Why don't you come and live in Sunny Lancs all the time?The prettiest girl's are down the M62 :thumbsup:

I live in Oldham at night and weekends but work in Leeds during the weekdays!

Original Poster

magicjay1986;3032466

English law - A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates … English law - A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it

Does English law apply to Scottish Banks? :roll:

Banned

umanga;3032470

I live in Oldham at night and weekends but work in Leeds during the … I live in Oldham at night and weekends but work in Leeds during the weekdays!

One big fuel bill!

Ok, keep it for a couple of months where it is, If there is no contact (- unlikely!) Transfer it to a high savings account and close the current savings account. This way the bank cannot just take it back, they will have to try to contact you, You could then wait 6 years and if still no contact ( extremely unlikely!) spend it!

Take it all out & pay it straight into another HIGH INTEREST account at another bank/building society, then when they want it back just pay it all back, you get to keep any interest :thumbsup:

Banned

snowtiger;3032484

Take it all out & pay it straight into another HIGH INTEREST account at … Take it all out & pay it straight into another HIGH INTEREST account at another bank/building society, then when they want it back just pay it all back, you get to keep any interest :thumbsup:

Good idea :thumbsup:

Or drink it or gamble it.

If you haven't got the money, they can't have it :thumbsup:

magicjay1986;3032466

English law - A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates … English law - A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it

How about if you get online access to your account, go on holiday, transfer the money to an internet only / foreign account then come home?

This still count?

Supermod

ukmax2k;3032476

Does English law apply to Scottish Banks? :roll:

To the same effect! :thumbsup:
    Call the bank and inform them. You will never end up owning the money in my opinion.

Supermod

ifyoudontask?;3032500

How about if you get online access to your account, go on holiday, … How about if you get online access to your account, go on holiday, transfer the money to an internet only / foreign account then come home?This still count?

Yes it would and that would also be Money Laundering.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1423
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?29132
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764196
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846160

See more discussions