Groups

I Phone Contract vs to Buy outright

I Phone wanted to replace my old andriod - So I looked at used on e-bay or similar - to buy it is (say) about £550 - £600... ... Sim free.....

OR my question is do I "buy" it via a "new contact?"

I am out of contract at the moment, and recently "lost" my uninsured I phone, so have been using an old samsung.... I want to "go back" to the other side and get another I Phone though.....

Question is - do I buy one outright and get a (say) a sim only deal.... Pay as You Go....

OR do I get it on contract? I am not too fussed about being "tied in" to a contract as long as its not silly money £££££ vs the alternative option.

Does anybody in the HOTUKDEALS community know much about this sort of dilemma?

Thanks for your expert advice in advance.

Cloud the Cat
    Purrrrrrrrrrrrr

16 Comments

I am in the same boat, I didnt loose mine is the only difference.

The thing with eBay is one you cant be certain its not stolen, someone will not report. Equally someone may choose to sell the phone and keep the contract, if they choose not to pay the contract after a while the network could block the phone if they wanted. Equally you can get some honest sim free phones on ebay.

With a contract you have a mins bundle but not always the best, I am looking at probably getting the phone sim free from either Apple or John Lewis (2 years warranty as oppose to 1 from Apple) and keeping my contract, you need to work out cost of a contract and the phone and divide and see what the differance is and if it works out for you

Original Poster

BRILLIANT thoughts and ideas here that I hadn't taken into consideration........

Blimey - I wonder if people genuinely DO have these types of issues when buying from (say) Flea Bay - or dare I say it even on HERE.....

Its certainly clouded my question.......

There are LOADS of sale or "buy it now" on Flea Bay - I just ......cant think that surely not all of them are going to be as risky as you point out....

But you have certainly made me think....

Thanks for this!

cloudthecat

BRILLIANT thoughts and ideas here that I hadn't taken into … BRILLIANT thoughts and ideas here that I hadn't taken into consideration........Blimey - I wonder if people genuinely DO have these types of issues when buying from (say) Flea Bay - or dare I say it even on HERE.....Its certainly clouded my question.......There are LOADS of sale or "buy it now" on Flea Bay - I just ......cant think that surely not all of them are going to be as risky as you point out....But you have certainly made me think....Thanks for this!

There's at least 5+ threads a week on here of people moaning their second hand phone has been blocked and is now a useless brick. I'd only ever consider buying from a friend/family or if it was a cheaper/older phone where it's probably not worth them doing insurance fraud or would be out of contract if they defaulted on their bills.

Anyway the main question is easy to answer, make a spreadsheet with costs of a contract with phone included, another with price of sim free handset + sim only deal. See which is cheaper and decide if it's worth the lump sum up front or if it's not much diff and you can spread the cost.

Original Poster

Seriously - as I said I had NO IDEA of this...... Thanks so much..... The thing is though..... You know those shops like (say) CEX ..... How can they "sell" these phones with the above taken into account? Shows how naieve I am!

If it's the iPhone 7 buy it new through Apple - you can pay it monthly over 20 months interest free. Then get a sim only contract from Vodafone, O2 etc. This should work out cheaper over 24 months that getting one contract that includes the phone plus sim...

I would suggest you to buy an iphone from the apple store itself. I got mine from them on a contract and it works out the same price as if you are buying an iphone without a contract. You can look for a sim only cheap deal. I am on the same. Hope it helps

Original Poster

THANKS GUYS!!! THANKS SO SO MUCH for your help - this really is / has opened my eyes! I had NO IDEA about the Apple shop and spreading the cost.... YOu lot are GEMS!!!!

I have bought mine and hubby's on o2 refresh interest free over 24 months with no deposits x

Original Poster

kirstie2806

I have bought mine and hubby's on o2 refresh interest free over 24 months … I have bought mine and hubby's on o2 refresh interest free over 24 months with no deposits x

I am liking this idea of interest free..... I had no idea of that... I looked into it on the Apple Store, but couldnt see it as an option - although I was no doubt looking in the wrong place - but - Hmmmm 02 Refresh - good call!

I wonder if I call the likes of Vodafone and so on...... THANK YOU!

With o2 refresh dont you have to take out a contract with them? If you cancel the contract dont you have to pay off the handset payment?

cloudthecat

Seriously - as I said I had NO IDEA of this...... Thanks so much..... The … Seriously - as I said I had NO IDEA of this...... Thanks so much..... The thing is though..... You know those shops like (say) CEX ..... How can they "sell" these phones with the above taken into account? Shows how naieve I am!

Cex is a better place to buy second hand mobiles because you'll get 12 months warranty. But in general the second hand market is a bit risky, I'd guess that about 5% of second hand mobiles will end up blocked or be faulty in some way.

You "lost" your phone. Why the speed h marks around lost, what are you implying?

You can get 20 months interest free from apple store. Not available on line.

shauneco

Cex is a better place to buy second hand mobiles because you'll get 12 … Cex is a better place to buy second hand mobiles because you'll get 12 months warranty. But in general the second hand market is a bit risky, I'd guess that about 5% of second hand mobiles will end up blocked or be faulty in some way.

Cex actually give you a 24 month warranty. I know someone who bought a phone from them (used, Mint condition) and the original owner stopped paying their contract and the phone got blocked, Cex replaced the phone straight away no problem. If you bought it on Ebay you'd have to try and get a refund through Paypal or eat the cost.

So definitely go with Cex if buying used.

And to OP i'd not buy an overpriced iPhone, get an android.

PenguinsForAll

Cex actually give you a 24 month warranty. I know someone who bought a … Cex actually give you a 24 month warranty. I know someone who bought a phone from them (used, Mint condition) and the original owner stopped paying their contract and the phone got blocked, Cex replaced the phone straight away no problem. If you bought it on Ebay you'd have to try and get a refund through Paypal or eat the cost.So definitely go with Cex if buying used.And to OP i'd not buy an overpriced iPhone, get an android.

Even better then :), I agree on your other point too ;).

Banned

go into apple store and get a intrest free iPhone on monthly payments
    iPhone 7 plus is £40 upfront then £33 a nonth
    Edited by: "skyarsenal" 6th Jan
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Fitbit watch/band33
      2. Which Pond Pump57
      3. Best student laptop max budget £300?33
      4. £18 per month sim only deal 25gb with EE good or bad?55