I put £20 (16 litres) petrol in diesel car by accident

Found 19th FebEdited by:"montana78"
Hi guys. Made a big mistake today. After school run i decided to fill up as tank was near empty. Then i got a call from wife saying she went to pick up the kids and theres black smoke coming out of the car. I told her to park up immediately and turn off engine which she did.

I just got back from work and a friend dropped off a manual fuel pump. What's the next step?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
First mistake is owning up to it and not blaming the wife, you will never hear the end of it now
31 Comments
Drain it and get it looked at by a mechanic to see just how much damage you have just done to it. Be prepared to pay ££££££
Edited by: "Babbabooey" 19th Feb
I doubt there will be any damage after the short time it was in. Drain it fully and depending on the age of the car I would decide what to do next. If it’s New and money is no objectI’d get a garage to have a look at the fuel pump. Otherwise I’d fill it with V-power (diesel ) and go for a long drive.

lets be honest if it is newer and you take it to a garage I’m sure they will have you for the duel pump and injectors anyway so if it was mine I’d leave it and see how I went on!!
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 19th Feb
I did the same in my old car. Drove for 5 miles then stopped for a few hours and it wouldn’t then start, which is when I realised what I did. Local recovery company collected it and drained the tank, flushed the engine then filled with diesel. No problem for the 12 months I owned the car after that. Think it cost me about £150 in total.

Once you get it drained etc, keep it topped up with diesel for a few months to dilute any petrol residue left and you should be fine.
First mistake is owning up to it and not blaming the wife, you will never hear the end of it now
Without knowing the car it's difficult to say. But I was successful sorting a Clio 1.5dci (female friends car) by doing the following.

1) sucked all the petrol out the tank (finding containers was difficult ended up buying 2l value water from the supermarket). Leave filler cap off but close flap (to stop water getting in) for a day to let any remaining petrol evaporate.

2) remove fuel filter and buy new one.

3) crank engine over to force through petrol in system doing your best to stop it spraying all over the engine bay.

4) Use a pipet (had one kicking about that was from a fancy dessert) to fill fuel filter with diesel. You could suck it through faster if you are hardcore enough.

5) Put 5l of premium diesel in car. Drive to petrol station and brim the tank with premium diesel.

Car is running fine nearly 2 years later.
A colleague of mine did this in our work van, we had the AA come out and drain it, they then ran some cleaning stuff in it and it was fine, no problems since. Think it cost around £200.
Fingers crossed for you
Fill it with petrol, add some injector cleaner and run it almost out before filling again. You may notice some affect to the performance, but no lasting damage unless it damages a sensor, which won't be an expensive fix. You don't say what the car is, but if it is modem you may get some error lights which for you can get a device to reset them on ebay for less than £10. OBD11
If there's any petrol left on the tank I'll come collect, obviously to help you!
mrty14 m ago

Fill it with petrol, add some injector cleaner and run it almost out …Fill it with petrol, add some injector cleaner and run it almost out before filling again. You may notice some affect to the performance, but no lasting damage unless it damages a sensor, which won't be an expensive fix. You don't say what the car is, but if it is modem you may get some error lights which for you can get a device to reset them on ebay for less than £10. OBD11

Yeh that will work in a diesel car.
Darzen3 m ago

Yeh that will work in a diesel car.

Oops, for petrol read diesel. Simple mistake, lucky I'm not filling my car....
Well you can either try and fully fill it with diesel and try running it.

Or the best thing is to drain the fuel tank completely and the fuel filter. Fill both fully with diesel and try to restart. Then get some cataclean for Diesel engines and DPF and add to the fuel. This will help clean up any dirt inside left from the petrol and aid combustion and cleaning of the DPF.
Hahaha
Empty out as much as you can then fill it to the brim with diesel then keep the tank topped up.
Just had a similar thing happen to a family members car.
About half a dozen Jerry cans then to the petrol station topped up and ran pretty much as before after running a tank or so thought it.
Go and get your wife and kids!
GAVINLEWISHUKD1 h, 9 m ago

Without knowing the car it's difficult to say. But I was successful …Without knowing the car it's difficult to say. But I was successful sorting a Clio 1.5dci (female friends car) by doing the following.1) sucked all the petrol out the tank (finding containers was difficult ended up buying 2l value water from the supermarket). Leave filler cap off but close flap (to stop water getting in) for a day to let any remaining petrol evaporate. 2) remove fuel filter and buy new one.3) crank engine over to force through petrol in system doing your best to stop it spraying all over the engine bay.4) Use a pipet (had one kicking about that was from a fancy dessert) to fill fuel filter with diesel. You could suck it through faster if you are hardcore enough. 5) Put 5l of premium diesel in car. Drive to petrol station and brim the tank with premium diesel.Car is running fine nearly 2 years later.

Mitsubishi colt 1.5 did
33293384-tcSuX.jpgI put the hose in. It gets wet. But when i pump no fuel comes out
How did you pass your driving test and how much did it cost you
19DembaBa1920 m ago

How did you pass your driving test and how much did it cost you

This is the 1st time its hapened in 18yrs of driving. Mistakes happen. It was a stressful morning foe me and i was in a rush. School run then get catch train for work
cmdr_elito1 h, 28 m ago

Well you can either try and fully fill it with diesel and try running it. …Well you can either try and fully fill it with diesel and try running it. Or the best thing is to drain the fuel tank completely and the fuel filter. Fill both fully with diesel and try to restart. Then get some cataclean for Diesel engines and DPF and add to the fuel. This will help clean up any dirt inside left from the petrol and aid combustion and cleaning of the DPF.

Petrol burns a lot cleaner than diesel, It won't leave much dirt in the dpf ;).
montana7853 m ago

[Image] I put the hose in. It gets wet. But when i pump no fuel comes out …[Image] I put the hose in. It gets wet. But when i pump no fuel comes out

It will have an anti syphon device on. To drain the fuel you'll have to jack the car up, Disconnect the fuel pipe and drain it that way.

Or another alternative might be if you look under the rear seat/carpet There might be an access panel where you can remove the fuel/pump sender unit, You could then syphon it out there.

You should drain it all off, Change the fuel filter, Disconnect fuel pipe to injectors, Manually pump some fresh diesel through ( Have someone turn the ignition to on position ( Without trying to crank ) whilst you collect the diesel that comes out the pipe in a bottle. Fill the tank fuel of diesel, Run until virtually empty and keep doing that over next few weeks and hope you haven't don't any permanent damage to the injectors, Cat and dpf. Petrol could have damaged your fuel pump too.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 19th Feb
montana7854 m ago

[Image] I put the hose in. It gets wet. But when i pump no fuel comes out …[Image] I put the hose in. It gets wet. But when i pump no fuel comes out

Your car will have an anti siphon device to stop fuel theft.
montana784 h, 40 m ago

This is the 1st time its hapened in 18yrs of driving. Mistakes happen. It …This is the 1st time its hapened in 18yrs of driving. Mistakes happen. It was a stressful morning foe me and i was in a rush. School run then get catch train for work

U do not have to do the school run if your not in a fit state, you can’t handle the pressure it’s making you forget things and making you tired all the time, leave it to the wife that’s what they are there for. She can do it all to help you
.MUFC.8 h, 38 m ago

It will have an anti syphon device on. To drain the fuel you'll have to …It will have an anti syphon device on. To drain the fuel you'll have to jack the car up, Disconnect the fuel pipe and drain it that way.Or another alternative might be if you look under the rear seat/carpet There might be an access panel where you can remove the fuel/pump sender unit, You could then syphon it out there.You should drain it all off, Change the fuel filter, Disconnect fuel pipe to injectors, Manually pump some fresh diesel through ( Have someone turn the ignition to on position ( Without trying to crank ) whilst you collect the diesel that comes out the pipe in a bottle. Fill the tank fuel of diesel, Run until virtually empty and keep doing that over next few weeks and hope you haven't don't any permanent damage to the injectors, Cat and dpf. Petrol could have damaged your fuel pump too.

Is there a nut under the fuel tank i can take off to empty it? My car is a 2007 model
slight divergence OP, sorry but is there a genuine difference in performance between normal diesel and premium diesel that petrol stations sell?
would you say just fill normal diesel regularly but every now and then fill premium?
montana781 h, 44 m ago

Is there a nut under the fuel tank i can take off to empty it? My car is a …Is there a nut under the fuel tank i can take off to empty it? My car is a 2007 model

Very unlikely, there are usually two fuel lines. If you can't get access underneath you might have to drop the fuel tank. You might be able to gain access by removing the bottom of the filler from the tank, then Syphon. You could cut the fuel pipes and rejoin them with a hose connector, Not ideal but might save dropping the tank.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 20th Feb
EN1GMA1 h, 26 m ago

slight divergence OP, sorry but is there a genuine difference in …slight divergence OP, sorry but is there a genuine difference in performance between normal diesel and premium diesel that petrol stations sell? would you say just fill normal diesel regularly but every now and then fill premium?

Different additives, supposedly combusts easier and burns cleaner. I would suspect it makes a negligible difference in reality.
Is it a big deal on a 2007 car?

16 litres of petrol in a 50(?) litre tank?

I think if it was diesel in a petrol car then thats a bigger concern, but petrol in a diesel not so much..?

I'm sure advice on this scenario is to fill up to the brim with diesel, and then when near empty fill up again, initially car may be sluggish but after 2/3 fills no adverse affect will be noticed..?
Detach the fuel line at the fuel filter and pump from there.

Petrol will remove all the lubrication from the engine and fuel line parts that is the issue.

Drain as much as you can and fill with diesel and all should be OK.

You may have an issue with getting the fuel into the filter f you don't have a manual hand pump near the filter and may need to toe start the car. Common on Mondeos not sure on the car you have.
andynicol2 h, 34 m ago

Is it a big deal on a 2007 car?16 litres of petrol in a 50(?) litre tank?I …Is it a big deal on a 2007 car?16 litres of petrol in a 50(?) litre tank?I think if it was diesel in a petrol car then thats a bigger concern, but petrol in a diesel not so much..?I'm sure advice on this scenario is to fill up to the brim with diesel, and then when near empty fill up again, initially car may be sluggish but after 2/3 fills no adverse affect will be noticed..?

I filled the tank of a 2 stroke scooter with diesel once got about half a mile before it died in a puff of smoke, pushed it back to the petrol station and bought 3 2 litre bottles of coke to empty out and drain the diesel into refilled with petrol, removed spark plug cap kicked it over a few times to prime carb, put cap back on and it started first push of the button, took about 5 minutes in total, gotta love simple 2 strokes. Smoked a bit more than usual for first few miles but got about 5k miles out of it before I got bored of that one traded for another, I still see it riding round locally 2 years later.
andynicol2 h, 43 m ago

Is it a big deal on a 2007 car?16 litres of petrol in a 50(?) litre tank?I …Is it a big deal on a 2007 car?16 litres of petrol in a 50(?) litre tank?I think if it was diesel in a petrol car then thats a bigger concern, but petrol in a diesel not so much..?I'm sure advice on this scenario is to fill up to the brim with diesel, and then when near empty fill up again, initially car may be sluggish but after 2/3 fills no adverse affect will be noticed..?

Nope, the opposite, A petrol will run on diluted diesel without to much of an issue, might kill your sparkplugs and stutter a bit as it's not really flammable. Also will kick out lots of black smoke. Modern diesels won't run on petrol very well ;).
.MUFC.11 h, 22 m ago

Nope, the opposite, A petrol will run on diluted diesel without to much of …Nope, the opposite, A petrol will run on diluted diesel without to much of an issue, might kill your sparkplugs and stutter a bit as it's not really flammable. Also will kick out lots of black smoke. Modern diesels won't run on petrol very well ;).

Ah my bad then.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants