Expired

I put my RM Special Delivery letter in a red post box, what will happen?

Found 7th Nov 2013
I made a massive mistake! I wanted to send my brother in law £400, so I thought RM Special Delivery was best suited for it. So I bought the label/delivery online and stuck it on the envelope. I packaged the money well inside the envelope as I was still concerned about sending money through the post, so the money is well covered up (I put it inside another envelope, so it's an envelope inside an envelope). I then put in the Red Post Box as I thought this was what I was supposed to do, I read online today that I shouldn't have done that, I should have gone to the Post Office.

So it's too late to retrieve the letter now, what do you reckon will happen to it? Does it not get delivered as it's not a normal stamp? Or will it still get delivered? Will it get sent to a branch and properly processed? Will a postman recognize I made a mistake and steal the letter as there's nothing I can do about it?

I realize I'm an idiot, but all I'm asking for is what you seriously think will happen. Please don't ask me how I made such a mistake or what I should have done, as it's too late for that and it's not helpful.

Thanks, any help is appreciated!
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
I would think that it will still get delivered, but you just wont have a tracking number/ postage reciept for it in case it gets lost in transit.
Got everything crossed for you that it gets to your brother in law, but perhaps next time it would be better to do a bank transfer/ send via paypal?
Edited by: "chuckiedoll" 7th Nov 2013
So, did you pay the required postage and is there a return address on the envelope.

If yes, then RM will deliver as a normal first class or may return to you as it has a return address.

Let your brother know that it is coming and the circumstances and he should stay in till the post arrives.

Oh, and keep everything crossed........
Edited by: "rcwmeg" 7th Nov 2013
Banned
it will still go as special delivery

just pray it doesnt get 'lost' as you wont be able to claim anything
Original Poster
csiman

it will still go as special deliveryjust pray it doesnt get 'lost' as you … it will still go as special deliveryjust pray it doesnt get 'lost' as you wont be able to claim anything

I'm really praying, I've talked to RM and they say it will just be delivered as first class. I'm trying to think of it like this; how many times do letters go missing? It's pretty rare, right?
CH2013

I'm really praying, I've talked to RM and they say it will just be … I'm really praying, I've talked to RM and they say it will just be delivered as first class. I'm trying to think of it like this; how many times do letters go missing? It's pretty rare, right?

Don't chance it.
Original Poster
hasnainthehotdeal

Don't chance it.

It's a bit late now...
CH2013

It's a bit late now...

Wait at the postbox maybe and ask the postman you want to take the money out maybe?

Original Poster
hasnainthehotdeal

Wait at the postbox maybe and ask the postman you want to take the money … Wait at the postbox maybe and ask the postman you want to take the money out maybe?

It's no longer at the post box, if it was I wouldn't be having a problem. However, it's no longer at the postbox, so it's a bit late.
Oh ok.

Probably will get delivered though if it doesn't then you don't get full compensation.
hasnainthehotdeal

Wait at the postbox maybe and ask the postman you want to take the money … Wait at the postbox maybe and ask the postman you want to take the money out maybe?

If you did that he would say "Unfortunately I can't let you do that, I'll have to take it to the depot..." Then the posty would leave knowing there is a large amount of cash that would be untraceable. Probably better with them thinking it is just another letter.
Original Poster
hasnainthehotdeal

Oh ok.Probably will get delivered though if it doesn't then you don't get … Oh ok.Probably will get delivered though if it doesn't then you don't get full compensation.

Yeah, fingers crossed, RM told me it will most probably be fine and that it does happen. Plus it's very discreetly packaged.
golemsmate

If you did that he would say "Unfortunately I can't let you do that, I'll … If you did that he would say "Unfortunately I can't let you do that, I'll have to take it to the depot..." Then the posty would leave knowing there is a large amount of cash that would be untraceable. Probably better with them thinking it is just another letter.

Yeah I suppose your right.
Original Poster
golemsmate

If you did that he would say "Unfortunately I can't let you do that, I'll … If you did that he would say "Unfortunately I can't let you do that, I'll have to take it to the depot..." Then the posty would leave knowing there is a large amount of cash that would be untraceable. Probably better with them thinking it is just another letter.

True, but if it was still at the postbox, I'd climb in if I had to, to get the money back lol.
Surprised no-one has already asked why you sent £400 cash in the post. It's a pretty ridiculous thing to do in an age where bank transfers are instant and are quickly done on mobile phones...
Original Poster
nelifex

Surprised no-one has already asked why you sent £400 cash in the post. … Surprised no-one has already asked why you sent £400 cash in the post. It's a pretty ridiculous thing to do in an age where bank transfers are instant and are quickly done on mobile phones...

Maybe because he's in a place where I can only send money to him via the post. Please don't ask about that as it's personal reasons that I'd rather not go into. Let's keep on topic...
would never send that sort of money in post
Fingers crossed. I expect it will be fine. Asking the postie for it back at the box wouldn't have worked anyway. Balance transfer / PayPal gift it next time
CH2013

Maybe because he's in a place where I can only send money to him via the … Maybe because he's in a place where I can only send money to him via the post. Please don't ask about that as it's personal reasons that I'd rather not go into. Let's keep on topic...

Is he Edward Snowden?
mdekq007

Is he Edward Snowden?

Might be Lord Lucan:p
mrsgm71

Might be Lord Lucan:p

It could also be Abu Hamza. I'm V intrigued
Banned
well the postman might steal it if he realises your mistake or your brother in-law might say he never got it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions