I rented the wrong flat - whats my legal position?

8 replies
Found 20th Nov 2009
I decided to rent a flat for when I am on shifts as its quite a way from where I live. Anyway I picked up the keys today and decided to try and have a kip there. Turns out the road noise is unreal and it looks like I am going to be unable to sleep there, especially in the day when on nights. Is there a cooling off period with tenancy agreements? Or as Ive signed up for 6 months am I stuck with it until they can find another tenant? Or at least for the next month, as Ive paid a month up front as deposit and then a months rent.

And yes I know I should have visited it at different times...

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
8 Comments

earplugs

Actually i use earplugs when i'm on nights cant beat them, but as for rental i would talk to landlord.

You have 14 days to cancel a contract after signing it.

have a look at this

letlink.co.uk/fre…tml

check your tenancy agreement some say that the tenant may give 28 days notice for termination

Legal rights???............. not much i think. Its like buying a house, move in then complain about nose level...........:w00t:

Original Poster

Yeah I use ear plugs, didnt help. One good thing is I paid for it on my credit card, which should cover me for 30 days. At the end of the day they can sue me if they wish.

jcaho7;6953222

Legal rights???............. not much i think. Its like buying a house, … Legal rights???............. not much i think. Its like buying a house, move in then complain about [COLOR=Blue]nose[/COLOR] level...........:w00t:

I think the OP's nose level is likely to be fine so long as it's between their mouth and eyes and more or less central horizontaly.:whistling:

Original Poster

I should probably add that the place isnt clean, cupboards filthy, carpets covered in dead bugs etc even down to the loo seat being nicely covered in a yellow substance... So I probably have more grounds than just noise.

Also they have another flat in the block that faces away from the road, might see if I can swap to that one. If its quiet ;-)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. landlord trying to get tenant to purchase a new bed when the old one was al…812
    2. Is there a way to add ethernet to MIFI device?35
    3. Any ideas for eye glare protection from computer screens?22
    4. Electric Bike Advice.11

See more discussions