I think I'm being scammed on Paypal?

Found 17th Aug 2017
Hi, a few days ago, someone added £50 to my paypal account. I then got several emails in caps & broken english saying how it was accidental and they have requested £50 from me. I have not engaged the user, and would rather not.

What can I do? Surely if it was a legitimate accident they could retract the payment from their end or contact paypal?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Tell them the 5 is broke on your keyboard and if they send the same amount again you will send them £100
17 Comments
Don't do it. They've sent you a separate payment request. Once you've paid it they'll contact PayPal regarding the "accidental" £50 they've sent and get that back as well. To rectify the issue you need to refund their original payment, you can do this by clicking on the transaction and selecting refund. Don't do it any other way as its most definitely a scam and you'll end up out of pocket.
Shevchenko12 m ago

Don't do it. They've sent you a separate payment request. Once you've paid …Don't do it. They've sent you a separate payment request. Once you've paid it they'll contact PayPal regarding the "accidental" £50 they've sent and get that back as well. To rectify the issue you need to refund their original payment, you can do this by clicking on the transaction and selecting refund. Don't do it any other way as its most definitely a scam and you'll end up out of pocket.

Thanks. Are the scammers not risking £50 though? Someone could just spend that money. Can they not get the money back from their end without me doing anything. I would rather not contact them.
Let them contact PayPal and explain to them the issue.
Either kept the money and live with your concuss or refund them in the way Shevchenko has suggested above.

If it is a genuine mistake PayPal may or not contact directly for a refund.

Scam, just forget about it
Let them contact Paypal to resolve it as the transfer (if they have sent it to the wrong person) can be retracted but only if it was payment for a goods and not personal.

Maybe they have sent it you by mistake can easily happen if the email address is entered wrong. And if it is showing up on your Paypal account it could be genuine. They have obviously made a mistake and contacted you and is most likely not a scam.

Was there a message or anything with the payment on paypal?
BigTimeDealer29 m ago

Can they not get the money back from their end without me doing anything. …Can they not get the money back from their end without me doing anything. I would rather not contact them.

Yes, only contact PayPal support directly & explain the situation & let them (PayPal) handle it.
Crossbow27 m ago

Yes, only contact PayPal support directly & explain the situation & let …Yes, only contact PayPal support directly & explain the situation & let them (PayPal) handle it.

Thanks, I will give it a few days to see if it gets retracted or paypal contact me. If not I will contact paypal.
Send them a message back saying that you've spent it, and to stop sending you anymore messages (reply in broken English).
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 17th Aug 2017
RiverDragon844 m ago

Send them a message back saying that you've spent it, and to stop sending …Send them a message back saying that you've spent it, and to stop sending you anymore messages (reply in broken English).

Fixed that for you - Send them a message back saying that you've spent it, and to send more money
Tell them the 5 is broke on your keyboard and if they send the same amount again you will send them £100
You may find there is no funds added and the email is a spoof email which looks like it's from PayPal?

Have you logged into your PP account....?

Either way ignore them, IF there's £50 in your account leave it there don't spend it and await PayPal's advice, as they will contact you should the sender be genuine..
BigTimeDealer12 h, 24 m ago

Thanks. Are the scammers not risking £50 though? Someone could just spend …Thanks. Are the scammers not risking £50 though? Someone could just spend that money. Can they not get the money back from their end without me doing anything. I would rather not contact them.

No because PayPal always side with the buyer. They'll open up an unauthorised transaction request as they'd have made PayPal think the transaction was completed from a computer other than their own. PayPal will investigate and refund them without question automatically removing the £50 from your account as PayPals investigation will conclude that the transaction wasn't made by the original account holder. In the mean time you've sent them £50 and they'll withdraw that and disappear. Then you'll be arguing with PayPal for your money back which may or may not happen as you willingly sent it to them.
BigTimeDealer17th Aug

Thanks. Are the scammers not risking £50 though? Someone could just spend …Thanks. Are the scammers not risking £50 though? Someone could just spend that money. Can they not get the money back from their end without me doing anything. I would rather not contact them.

if you spent the 50£ and the opened a case paypal will pay the money itself and put you on a debt collector list (there never get money from you)
Just treat it the same as any bank account. If someone sends you £50 by accident, they're not going to try to look your name up in the phone book and call you or write to you, they would tell their bank, who would tell your bank, who would contact you. Don't do anything unless Paypal (and check that it's really Paypal!) tells you to. I wouldn't even contact Paypal, that would just make things more confusing. Just keep the money there, don't spend it, and wait.
Edited by: "Muir" 20th Aug 2017
BigTimeDealer, how did this pan out eventually?
@Crossbow I left it, and left it to see what would happen, before ultimatley refunding via paypal. There was no cost to me,
Edited by: "BigTimeDealer" 13th Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants