I think its funny all these school rules

Found 2nd Mar
They tell you how vital it is your kids be in school everyday on time, they can not miss a second of their education.

They say no chocolate biscuits, no sandwich spreads etc in the packed lunch.

Then they give the kids chocolate at the end of everyday because its someone's birthday (300 kids in the school) so they come out with a handful of Cadbury roses or celebrations etc.

And a little bit of snow and thry shut up shop, the school was shut yesterday, its shut today and on Wednesday they put a message on the website at 1pm saying you can come and collect your kids now if you want and plonked em all infront of films until their parents showed up.

They do that close to school holidays too, plonk em infront of the class projector screen and just put toy story and mr bean etc on until the kids get picked up.

One rule for them it seems.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Segata-Sanshiro10 m ago

They should live locally, its there choice not to they get paid enough and …They should live locally, its there choice not to they get paid enough and are classed as key workers so they get London weighting and priority housing with housing associations, if everyone else needs to be in the catchment area why not them too, its better for the environment and all.Actually the "lower" staff do live nearer and take public transportation, It was the management whom were itching to shut the place as they drive in from Surrey.I still think its funny, they go on about not missing any education yet its ok for them to shut it down for two and a half days when they are inconvenienced, buses and tube are running fine and if the kids are from really poor families this is extra hardship during the coldest time of the year, no free school meals, no warm school and parents having to cancel work.

My wife is a teacher and wouldn't want to live in the same locality as the school. We've known teachers that have, but they and their property were victimised, and not only by children.
Segata-Sanshiro18 m ago

They should live locally, its there choice not to they get paid enough and …They should live locally, its there choice not to they get paid enough and are classed as key workers so they get London weighting and priority housing with housing associations, if everyone else needs to be in the catchment area why not them too, its better for the environment and all.Actually the "lower" staff do live nearer and take public transportation, It was the management whom were itching to shut the place as they drive in from Surrey.I still think its funny, they go on about not missing any education yet its ok for them to shut it down for two and a half days when they are inconvenienced, buses and tube are running fine and if the kids are from really poor families this is extra hardship during the coldest time of the year, no free school meals, no warm school and parents having to cancel work.

I tried to explain. You're now just moaning for the sake of it. That's obvious from the first four words of your post.
Banned
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 3 m ago

SOMEONE'S HAVING A CRY SHES HAD TO LOOK AFTER HER OWN KIDS.

Shutting a school on safety grounds is a world apart than Doris taking her kids to Majorca for three weeks straight after the six weeks summer holiday don' you think?

Further to that how many parents would wend their kids in dangerous conditions? You then have half populated school in which the half who are not there miss out and the materials have to be retaught.
Segata-Sanshiro23 m ago

People used to work near home, its stupid commuting long distance and bad …People used to work near home, its stupid commuting long distance and bad for the environment, our carbon footprints are getting bigger and bigger, snowflakes as people say, my mother is laughing at how pathetic it is that a couple of inches of snow stops everything, nothing made her school close back in the 50s and it was a 7 mile walk.

Shouldn't she have gone to a closer school?
88 Comments
I guess its nice for the kids to get a break from classes and tests. Not at home on tablets and phones etc.

A shame they could not give them lego or yoga to help them relax and keep them busy which is bit better then movies.
The indoctrination must continue.
Just bear in mind that teachers might not be able to get in and teach because of the substantial snowfall.

Can't believe they're giving kids chocolate everyday either. Once in a while is fine but everyday is excessive.
cowsindahouse1 m ago

The indoctrination must continue.

Original Poster
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals11 m ago

Just bear in mind that teachers might not be able to get in and teach …Just bear in mind that teachers might not be able to get in and teach because of the substantial snowfall.Can't believe they're giving kids chocolate everyday either. Once in a while is fine but everyday is excessive.

They should live locally, its there choice not to they get paid enough and are classed as key workers so they get London weighting and priority housing with housing associations, if everyone else needs to be in the catchment area why not them too, its better for the environment and all.

Actually the "lower" staff do live nearer and take public transportation, It was the management whom were itching to shut the place as they drive in from Surrey.

I still think its funny, they go on about not missing any education yet its ok for them to shut it down for two and a half days when they are inconvenienced, buses and tube are running fine and if the kids are from really poor families this is extra hardship during the coldest time of the year, no free school meals, no warm school and parents having to cancel work.
Segata-Sanshiro10 m ago

My wife is a teacher and wouldn't want to live in the same locality as the school. We've known teachers that have, but they and their property were victimised, and not only by children.
Segata-Sanshiro18 m ago

I tried to explain. You're now just moaning for the sake of it. That's obvious from the first four words of your post.
Segata-Sanshiro18 m ago

there are many reasons why schools are closed, heads don't take it lightly, ours have been closed for 3 full days, its dangerous our there for cars and there have been no buses for 2 days so kids or teachers couldn't even get to school.

Your comment on they should live near the school is bordering on the ridiculous again, sorry, do you honestly think that teachers would want to live in some areas where even the people living there don't want to. Sadly we cannot debate this any further with the new rules.
Segata-Sanshiro47 m ago

Oops I live 4,200 miles away from the class I teach at.

Instead of moaning why not make a difference and volunteer to cover a class, after all its not that hard is it, pick up a lesson plan and deliver a lesson engaging 30+ kids with varying abilities.
Original Poster
eslick44 m ago

there are many reasons why schools are closed, heads don't take it …there are many reasons why schools are closed, heads don't take it lightly, ours have been closed for 3 full days, its dangerous our there for cars and there have been no buses for 2 days so kids or teachers couldn't even get to school.Your comment on they should live near the school is bordering on the ridiculous again, sorry, do you honestly think that teachers would want to live in some areas where even the people living there don't want to. Sadly we cannot debate this any further with the new rules.

People used to work near home, its stupid commuting long distance and bad for the environment, our carbon footprints are getting bigger and bigger, snowflakes as people say, my mother is laughing at how pathetic it is that a couple of inches of snow stops everything, nothing made her school close back in the 50s and it was a 7 mile walk.
Banned
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 3 m ago

SOMEONE'S HAVING A CRY SHES HAD TO LOOK AFTER HER OWN KIDS.

Shutting a school on safety grounds is a world apart than Doris taking her kids to Majorca for three weeks straight after the six weeks summer holiday don' you think?

Further to that how many parents would wend their kids in dangerous conditions? You then have half populated school in which the half who are not there miss out and the materials have to be retaught.
Original Poster
DKLS18 m ago

Oops I live 4,200 miles away from the class I teach at.Instead of moaning …Oops I live 4,200 miles away from the class I teach at.Instead of moaning why not make a difference and volunteer to cover a class, after all its not that hard is it, pick up a lesson plan and deliver a lesson engaging 30+ kids with varying abilities.

If they asked i wouldn't mind, theres only 3 touble makers in that class and none are too bad ability wise
Segata-Sanshiro23 m ago

People used to work near home, its stupid commuting long distance and bad …People used to work near home, its stupid commuting long distance and bad for the environment, our carbon footprints are getting bigger and bigger, snowflakes as people say, my mother is laughing at how pathetic it is that a couple of inches of snow stops everything, nothing made her school close back in the 50s and it was a 7 mile walk.

Original Poster
shadey122 m ago

That was the only one they could get
Segata-Sanshiro5 m ago

That was the only one they could get

I think that would answer your question with regards to why teachers don't work in the nearest school then.
On a positive note, one of my neighbours is a teacher, they walked the 8 mile round trip to their school on Wednesday, yesterday and today every school in the local authority area is closed.
shadey1228 m ago

I think that would answer your question with regards to why teachers don't …I think that would answer your question with regards to why teachers don't work in the nearest school then.On a positive note, one of my neighbours is a teacher, they walked the 8 mile round trip to their school on Wednesday, yesterday and today every school in the local authority area is closed.

My Mrs is a teacher and she made it in, hers is the only school in the area and try to stay open for the working parents.
Even if the staff can't all get in they try to keep the school open so that the working parents can continue to go to work.

Insane that people are complaining that they're not doing formal lessons, they could easily just say the schools closed and then it's up to the parents to stay at home or find some one else to look after their kids.
Surely you also have to take into consideration the quality of the teaching. Wouldn't you rather have a top class teacher who travelled in that a mediocre one from down the street? I never remember school being closed when I was a kid but things have changed since then. With regards to chocolate, it isn't the school giving it out, it is the other parents. I think that is a stupid idea and a waste of money.
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 15 m ago

My granddaughter goes to a school less than 5 miles away from me. She actually lives on the same street as the school so could easily have made it in. However, I couldn't have got there over the past 2 days, so how close do you expect teachers to live to school, maybe we should build a housing complex in every school for teachers to live on site?

Regardless of that, the school is on a bank which is lethal when there is any snow or ice. It would be extremely dangerous for them to open. I saw one woman slide into the kerb on Tuesday, and 4 or 5 near misses at the same time, because people are idiots and can't drive in snow, and are too lazy to walk their kids to school. The woman who slid into the kerb in her SUV lives 3 doors away from my daughter, who lives under a 3 minute walk from the school gates.
It was very rare for schools to be shut in the past, but we live in different times. No doubt some of those who complain that the schools are shut, would sue the school if their child was hit with a snowball if it were open. Head teachers have to think like lawyers today.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 2nd Mar
Segata-Sanshiro2 h, 24 m ago

If teachers have to live close to the school they work at then schools in poor areas will get even worse. The day my job dictates where i live is the day i quit and find a job in a better area.

If it isn't safe for staff to get in from wherever they live and without those staff members there aren't enough teachers etc then what option do they have but to close?
teh.arn23 m ago

My Mrs is a teacher and she made it in, hers is the only school in the …My Mrs is a teacher and she made it in, hers is the only school in the area and try to stay open for the working parents.Even if the staff can't all get in they try to keep the school open so that the working parents can continue to go to work.Insane that people are complaining that they're not doing formal lessons, they could easily just say the schools closed and then it's up to the parents to stay at home or find some one else to look after their kids.

I was supposed to be going over to Lancashire on Wednesday, looking at the roads, the police advice and the fact that some people were stuck all night on the motorway,
33361774-nqzBd.jpg33361774-l7twP.jpgI think it will be next week.
The main roads seem to be clear but the side roads are lethal.
Predikuesi2 h, 25 m ago

My wife is a teacher and wouldn't want to live in the same locality as the …My wife is a teacher and wouldn't want to live in the same locality as the school. We've known teachers that have, but they and their property were victimised, and not only by children.

My wife lives less than a mile from the school she works. Not had any problems to be fair, that said it is a primary school. Shopping can be a nightmare, with kids & parents pestering her.
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 2nd Mar
Schools here are open as usual and haven't shut shop.

Also the ban of chocolate in the packed lunches is perfectly acceptable, no?
Have you seen what irresponsible parents give their kids for packed lunches? Some of them only give chocolate, crisps and junk food, no healthy food at all.
Loads of schools closed round these parts despite not really being that badly hit. Businesses managed to open as did private nurseries...
Predikuesi32 m ago

It was very rare for schools to be shut in the past, but we live in …It was very rare for schools to be shut in the past, but we live in different times. No doubt some of those who complain that the schools are shut, would sue the school if their child was hit with a snowball if it were open. Head teachers have to think like lawyers today.

Regarding rules or no rules, and whether head teachers have to think like lawyers today, there is also another important factor which is time and effort: risk assessment, diligence, processes in monitoring, prevention, review , record keeping, against risks and hazards, then there is health and safety duties and the involvement of the local council, Ofsted and other agencies, they all take time and effort (journaling, reports, notification to HSE......long before the lawyers are involved (as there is liability insurance).

It is the fear of the time, effort, interview, held to account, lessons learned, improvement plans...these are, of course, not like how it was decades ago.

e.g. when there is snow and ice, teacher and children ratio...the work starts with risk assessment, filing, accident book...a lot of work should events happen
Edited by: "splender" 2nd Mar
J4GG423 m ago

Schools here are open as usual and haven't shut shop.Also the ban of …Schools here are open as usual and haven't shut shop.Also the ban of chocolate in the packed lunches is perfectly acceptable, no?Have you seen what irresponsible parents give their kids for packed lunches? Some of them only give chocolate, crisps and junk food, no healthy food at all.

Yes i think there is an obvious difference between a school not wanting a kid to have junk for a meal and allowing kids a treat because it is a birthday.

I guess that just doesn't suit the agenda though.
CoeK5 m ago

Yes i think there is an obvious difference between a school not wanting a …Yes i think there is an obvious difference between a school not wanting a kid to have junk for a meal and allowing kids a treat because it is a birthday. I guess that just doesn't suit the agenda though.

5 or 6 times that happens every year.
No big deal. In fact it teaches the kids to appreciate people more. Junk food packed in a packed lunch isn't doing any good to anyone other than the lazy parent who doesn't care.

Glad you see the difference though!
mk824 m ago

Loads of schools closed round these parts despite not really being that …Loads of schools closed round these parts despite not really being that badly hit. Businesses managed to open as did private nurseries...

As above (my comment) plus, should an accident happen, time and effort to explain to parents, preventive measures taken or not taken, explanation in report of adequacy of prevention taken and/or sufficiency of staff supervising the children, indoor and outdoor playgrounds....running of children and pushing around.

Businesses don't have these as possible liabilities, specifically, for example, transfer of duty of protection and safeguarding, health and safety, welfare, from parent to teacher once the children come on the premises. This is a well known simple and established fact and a distinguishing rule (of thumb) even a child understands in class.
Segata-Sanshiro2 h, 15 m ago

You aren’t talking hundreds of miles most will still live in the county and they did the same when we were kids nothing has changed.

We lived near in a bad area for snow when we were kids feet of it place cut off for days and we had to get to school 4 miles away just for our mark,as the head lived near by and most of the kids were bused in once we got the marks the school was closed. We lived in cities and school was closed as well. None of this is new been happening since the 70/80 at least.
The snow/ice is a little more severe than we're used too these days ( Yes I remember the late 80's when we had power cuts galore for weeks on end ). I don't blame them for closing the schools, It's not possible for some teachers and kids to get safely to and from school. My kids had to walk home the other day because the buses were cancelled etc.. A few miles, Sure that's not far but it is when there is a blizzard.
splender2 h, 11 m ago

As above (my comment) plus, should an accident happen, time and effort to …As above (my comment) plus, should an accident happen, time and effort to explain to parents, preventive measures taken or not taken, explanation in report of adequacy of prevention taken and/or sufficiency of staff supervising the children, indoor and outdoor playgrounds....running of children and pushing around.Businesses don't have these as possible liabilities, specifically, for example, transfer of duty of protection and safeguarding, health and safety, welfare, from parent to teacher once the children come on the premises. This is a well known simple and established fact and a distinguishing rule (of thumb) even a child understands in class.

Except those aren't the reasons generally given, at least not the ones I've seen in the last couple of days but jolly good effort anyway.
Always has been. Half of my education was being force to watch Monty Python. No prizes for guessing why I can't stand it now.
OP

Then they give the kids chocolate at the end of everyday because its someone's birthday (300 kids in the school) so they come out with a handful of Cadbury roses or celebrations etc.

Surely a kid would only receive chocolates from another kid in their class. Ive never heard of the whole school scenario you are depicting. Once a fortnight would seem a more realistic happening.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 2nd Mar
Graham197910 h, 18 m ago

SOMEONE'S HAVING A CRY SHES HAD TO LOOK AFTER HER OWN KIDS.Shutting a …SOMEONE'S HAVING A CRY SHES HAD TO LOOK AFTER HER OWN KIDS.Shutting a school on safety grounds is a world apart than Doris taking her kids to Majorca for three weeks straight after the six weeks summer holiday don' you think?Further to that how many parents would wend their kids in dangerous conditions? You then have half populated school in which the half who are not there miss out and the materials have to be retaught.

Spot on 👌
Original Poster
OllieSt3 h, 3 m ago

OPThen they give the kids chocolate at the end of everyday because its …OPThen they give the kids chocolate at the end of everyday because its someone's birthday (300 kids in the school) so they come out with a handful of Cadbury roses or celebrations etc.Surely a kid would only receive chocolates from another kid in their class. Ive never heard of the whole school scenario you are depicting. Once a fortnight would seem a more realistic happening.

No when its a childs birthday they take in sweets in the morning, a child is picked from the class to hand the sweets out to the teachers during lunch and then the kids are handed sweets by the teacher at end of lessons, last birthday i had to buy two boxes of sweets because the teachers had two each and there wasn't enough left for the kids.

He had sweets for two out of the three days he was at school this week, I don't care i just think its double standards when he can't have a jam sandwich in his lunch
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 2nd Mar
MSK.7 h, 59 m ago

Always has been. Half of my education was being force to watch Monty …Always has been. Half of my education was being force to watch Monty Python. No prizes for guessing why I can't stand it now.

We had The Land Before Time and Stig of the Dump and that's it for my entire time at primary school, TLBT used to hit me in the feels every time, now I've grown up to be an emotionally troubled hoarder.
Segata-Sanshiro2 h, 9 m ago

No when its a childs birthday they take in sweets in the morning, a child …No when its a childs birthday they take in sweets in the morning, a child is picked from the class to hand the sweets out to the teachers during lunch and then the kids are handed sweets by the teacher at end of lessons, last birthday i had to buy two boxes of sweets because the teachers had two each and there wasn't enough left for the kids.He had sweets for two out of the three days he was at school this week, I don't care i just think its double standards when he can't have a jam sandwich in his lunch

Very selective at which comments you reply to. So how far away from your workplace should everyone have to live in your opinion?
catbeans1 h, 33 m ago

We had The Land Before Time and Stig of the Dump and that's it for my …We had The Land Before Time and Stig of the Dump and that's it for my entire time at primary school, TLBT used to hit me in the feels every time, now I've grown up to be an emotionally troubled hoarder.

You're very lucky, I would have loved to see some of the Land Before Time. We occasionally got some Mr. Bean. I guess our teachers only put on things they enjoyed themselves. It was always a huge relief when we got some science thing they had recorded from Open University instead.
Original Poster
julieallen7 h, 53 m ago

Very selective at which comments you reply to. So how far away from your …Very selective at which comments you reply to. So how far away from your workplace should everyone have to live in your opinion?

Actually I've had replies to things removed so why bother, and I'd say 1 hour by public transport, cars need to be discouraged
First time in 8 years my eldests school has had to close due to severe weather, so hardly a regular occurence, or a decision that is taken lightly. Remember my school closing several times when i was there in the 80's.
Also, he has never had chocolates handed out when it is someones birthday. Just doesn't happen.
Maybe OP should take up their concerns with their schools head teacher or board of governors instead of a deals website?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions