I want a 4k TV sub-£500 for PS4 Pro - 10bit?

Found 11th Jul 2017
I'm clueless on this tech but have read a lot of 'FAKE 4K' comments about 8bit TVs.

Can anybody either dispel this or point me in the direction of a 10bit TV at this price point? Or am I in Dreamland?
Community Updates
AskTVPS44K TVPS4 Pro
11 Comments
Get a Sega Mega Drive. They're 16bit.
Yeomanroach3 m ago

Get a Sega Mega Drive. They're 16bit.

I'm going retro. ZX81!
Everything that advertises HDR support accepts a 10-bit signal, it's no longer a relevant concern. It never was relevant for 4K, which is different from HDR, and the 'Fake' comments are usually about a different technology entirely (LG's shared subpixels on the 600 and some of the 700 ranges).

The important hardware for HDR is a good locally dimming backlit with a wide colour spectrum (gamut) and a high peak brightness.

Basically for £500 everything is 4K or indistinguishable from it but there's very little HDR ability available - only really the wider colour spectrum in a few models and nothing with any meaningful ability to display a higher brightness range on screen.

For the wide colour gamut under £500 you're looking at Samsung's 64 models and up and Panasonic's DX700.

Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 11th Jul 2017
Thanks, @EndlessWaves - anything you would recommend on the Amazon day deals?
EndlessWaves

Everything that advertises HDR support accepts a 10-bit signal, it's no … Everything that advertises HDR support accepts a 10-bit signal, it's no longer a relevant concern. It never was relevant for 4K, which is different from HDR, and the 'Fake' comments are usually about a different technology entirely (LG's shared subpixels on the 600 and some of the 700 ranges).The important hardware for HDR is a good locally dimming backlit with a wide colour spectrum (gamut) and a high peak brightness.Basically for £500 everything is 4K or indistinguishable from it but there's very little HDR ability available - only really the wider colour spectrum in a few models and nothing with any meaningful ability to display a higher brightness range on screen.For the wide colour gamut under £500 you're looking at Samsung's 64 models and up and Panasonic's DX700.

This is hurting my head, it doesn't make any sense. 10bit refers to the number of colours a screen can display, it's got **** all to do with what HDR signal a TV can accept. The fake comments can about from TVs which advertise they are HDR because they can process the signal, but do not have a wide enough colour or brightness range to display them.

OP, you won't get a 10bit TV for your budget. You best hope would be to look for a discounted TV from the KS range from last year.
@MSK. What is the KS range? Thanks!
MSK.

This is hurting my head, it doesn't make any sense. 10bit refers to the … This is hurting my head, it doesn't make any sense. 10bit refers to the number of colours a screen can display, it's got **** all to do with what HDR signal a TV can accept.

The only content that's encoded in 10-bit colour depth is HDR.

It doesn't change the range of colours the TV can display - that's the spectrum of the backlight (sometimes with assistance from filter layers like quantum dots).

A higher bit depth puts shades of colours closer together. It helps when you can see the steps between shades in what should be a continuous gradient.

As that very rarely happens with high quality 8-bit TVs it's purely one of those low impact & expensive features that you'll only ever see on a top of the range TV. It's certainly not an important feature to the HDR experience compared with the other hardware changes.

Maybe it'll become more important as the colour spectrum gets wider or we switch to emissive displays (OLEDs) but right now the big difference between HDR TVs are in the backlight, not the LCD panel.

MSK.

The fake comments can about from TVs which advertise they are HDR because … The fake comments can about from TVs which advertise they are HDR because they can process the signal, but do not have a wide enough colour or brightness range to display them.

That is a common problem, but doesn't seem to be where the majority of 'Fake 4K' comments on HUKD are aimed.

greenfeld

Samsung KS7000, KS7500, KS8000 and KS9000
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 11th Jul 2017
MSK.

This is hurting my head, it doesn't make any sense. 10bit refers to the … This is hurting my head, it doesn't make any sense. 10bit refers to the number of colours a screen can display, it's got **** all to do with what HDR signal a TV can accept.

MSK.

The fake comments can about from TVs which advertise they are HDR … The fake comments can about from TVs which advertise they are HDR because they can process the signal, but do not have a wide enough colour or brightness range to display them.

greenfeld

greenfeld

What your talking about has almost nothing to do with the question that the OP asked, you are massively over complicating this. Encoding isn't the problem, display those colours is.

What doesn't change the range of colours the TV can display? Who was talking about changing the range? I almost have no idea what you are talking about your rambling is so obtuse.

Any of the Samsung TV with model numbers that start in KS were real 10bit. KS7000, KS7500, KS8000, KS9000 etc. They are becoming harder to find as they have been replaced with the QLED range, but there have been some decent clearance deals recently.

The QLED TV's are ridiculous money right now, but if they follow the same pattern as last year they will drop by around 50% before Christmas.
MSK.

What your talking about has almost nothing to do with the question that … What your talking about has almost nothing to do with the question that the OP asked, you are massively over complicating this. Encoding isn't the problem, display those colours is.

I agree with that.

MSK.

What doesn't change the range of colours the TV can display? Who was … What doesn't change the range of colours the TV can display? Who was talking about changing the range? I almost have no idea what you are talking about your rambling is so obtuse.

Leaving aside the insults I can see it might have been unclear, I was talking about the LCD panel.
MSK.

What your talking about has almost nothing to do with the question that … What your talking about has almost nothing to do with the question that the OP asked, you are massively over complicating this. Encoding isn't the problem, display those colours is.

MSK.

What doesn't change the range of colours the TV can display? Who was … What doesn't change the range of colours the TV can display? Who was talking about changing the range? I almost have no idea what you are talking about your rambling is so obtuse.

It's not an insult, I am being truthful. But take it how you wish. I am still none the wiser.
Thanks for input, @MSK. If anybody has any good prices, let me know please!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants