I want to replace my house boiler

Posted 7th Nov
Hi all.

I want to replace my boiler. It looks like a 80cm x 45cm x 25cm box in the kitchen. There is a tank upstairs about 1.5m with about 60cm diameter, and apparently there's a smaller tank in the loft.

I read in a thread on here that if your installer is certified in something you get a few years extra warranty or something like that.

I heard if I get a combi boiler I can do away with the tanks and I can reclaim storage space. I was told it would cost about £2,500

I have gas (central heating) and electricity to the property.

I would appreciate some help and/or a point in the right direction.

I do not want to spend more than £3,500.

Thanks for all your help.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Lucky. You've managed to dodge all sorts of hassle by having "electricity to the property".
30 Comments
Lucky. You've managed to dodge all sorts of hassle by having "electricity to the property".
Probably more expensive converting to combi than retaining the current system, also if you have a thermostatic shower valve, that will need replacing with a high pressure valve - on some, it's a cartridge, on others, the entire unit.

Is it a condensing boiler already? Fitting a condensing as a replacement for an old style requires a condensate pipe to be added - if that is already there then a straight swap without converting to combi should be almost plug & play.
Yep a combi boiler would be suitable, depending on your property there may be the option to have the boiler installed into the loft instead of the kitchen too which will save more space. I have mine in the loft and it’s a brilliant space saver. Loft will have to be part borded and you will need to add a light to enable it to be serviced.

Worcester Bosch are one of the best makes of boilers and you can find an accredited installer via their website.

Modern boilers rarely go wrong within 10 years as long as they are fitted correctly and serviced annually so long warranties are just really a gimmick. I certainly wouldn’t pay more for it.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 8th Nov
WB 10 years guarantee criteria: "...We offer an exclusive 10 year guarantee to customers who choose a local Worcester Bosch Accredited Installer to install their boiler along with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar system filter..."
worcester-bosch.co.uk/sup…ned
Call in a few heating engineers to survey and give you some written fixed price quotes for various types of installation. Use checkatrade maybe to find alternative engineers or do a simple search in google.
Don't let them know your budget.
Finally, choose your installer on the basis of suitabilty, affordability and trustability.
I had mine done last year - got rid of the huge water tank and hot water cylinder which freed up a large space which I have redone to be a storage and airing cupboard for drying clothes.

Boiler cost me about £1000 and similar cost for the installation which took almost a day.

Direct heating supplies is where I got the boiler from.
The plumber should remove the tanks as well - I had to pay an extra £200 for the water tank as it was Asbestos.
Bigfootpete08/11/2019 08:04

I had mine done last year - got rid of the huge water tank and hot water …I had mine done last year - got rid of the huge water tank and hot water cylinder which freed up a large space which I have redone to be a storage and airing cupboard for drying clothes.Boiler cost me about £1000 and similar cost for the installation which took almost a day.Direct heating supplies is where I got the boiler from. The plumber should remove the tanks as well - I had to pay an extra £200 for the water tank as it was Asbestos.

I'm buying a house and it has a water tank upstairs and very old boiler in cellar for heating.
How much do you think it would cost?
Thanks.
Misslovely08/11/2019 09:03

I'm buying a house and it has a water tank upstairs and very old boiler in …I'm buying a house and it has a water tank upstairs and very old boiler in cellar for heating. How much do you think it would cost? Thanks.

I can't tell you that, you need to ring a few gas certified plumbers to ask them for a quote, quotes are free, but they need to inspect the place to see what is required.
Thank you so much all for the very valuable insight.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 8th Nov
AndyRoyd08/11/2019 00:10

Lucky. You've managed to dodge all sorts of hassle by having "electricity …Lucky. You've managed to dodge all sorts of hassle by having "electricity to the property".

Sorry, lol, brain not working.
matth999908/11/2019 01:01

Probably more expensive converting to combi than retaining the current …Probably more expensive converting to combi than retaining the current system, also if you have a thermostatic shower valve, that will need replacing with a high pressure valve - on some, it's a cartridge, on others, the entire unit.Is it a condensing boiler already? Fitting a condensing as a replacement for an old style requires a condensate pipe to be added - if that is already there then a straight swap without converting to combi should be almost plug & play.

Probably more expensive, yes, but I've just bought the house and want something nice to start off.
Not sure if it's a condensing boiler. Gonna research the model number and loft when I go again.
Misslovely08/11/2019 09:03

I'm buying a house and it has a water tank upstairs and very old boiler in …I'm buying a house and it has a water tank upstairs and very old boiler in cellar for heating. How much do you think it would cost? Thanks.

Depends on where you live, if London or major city eg Birmingham add £1k on to any similar quote. Size of house is also a factor, larger houses need high spec boilers, if you have electric showers you can have one with a lower flow rate as the showers will heat the water and if you have one that uses the boiler to heat the water or several bathrooms you’ll need one with a higher flow rate. The person doing the quote will know what you need.

Get a Worcester Bosch accredited installers to give you a quote, if you’ve already made an offer on the place and it’s been accepted ask if they can let someone come and quote for a new boiler.
This may be of use to some people who meet the qualifying criteria: E.ON Energy are doing a boiler grant under their affordable warmth scheme if yours is broken or faulty (subject to survey; you can also get free cavity wall insulation and free loft insulation).

There's a minimum of £240 to pay towards the boiler but you can get a Worcester Bosch 30i Combi to replace a conventional setup with hot water tank etc.

We've just had ours replaced and had 7 new TRVs installed at the same time (at extra cost naturally). They register the boiler with Worcester Bosch in order to get the extra guarantee as detailed elsewhere in the thread.

Just be warned that there is a lead time before installation can be scheduled (we applied on 13th of September, had our survey on 1st of October, got the quote on 2nd of October and had the installation done on 1st of November).

Really pleased with the work and the difference it's made, especially to the hot water!

Hope this helps someone.
Edited by: "bluefish2303" 8th Nov
BTW Try Boxt to get an idea of cost if not entitled to a grant.
if it was me, i would ditch the standard heating system that you have and replace it with a combi. the water pressure will much better and you will save on energy bills in the long term.
You shouldn't need to spend anywhere near £3500 unless you go for an all singing all dancing boiler. You can get a mid range boiler plus install for about 1500
MonkeyMan9009/11/2019 01:17

You shouldn't need to spend anywhere near £3500 unless you go for an all …You shouldn't need to spend anywhere near £3500 unless you go for an all singing all dancing boiler. You can get a mid range boiler plus install for about 1500

That's comforting. I read on the boxt website that if I want the new boiler relocated to the loft I should expect a premium of £500. Is that reasonable?
MadeDixonsCry09/11/2019 08:18

That's comforting. I read on the boxt website that if I want the new …That's comforting. I read on the boxt website that if I want the new boiler relocated to the loft I should expect a premium of £500. Is that reasonable?

I'm not sure about that sorry, but one thing is I would definitely not put my boiler in the loft. 1st of all you would have to go to the loft to turn your heating on and also makes it a nightmare for when it gets serviced. Plus the boiler will also be put under strenuous heat conditions. If you do put it in the loft make sure it has frost protection. You also need to make sure it is in a large safe working area for when it gets serviced.
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 9th Nov
I had an gas engineer come out togive me an estimate for a combi boiler, I currently have a very old back boiler and he said it would have to be put in my bedroom as the boiler has to be on the same side of the house as the gas meter. This has put me off, I don't like the idea of it being in the bedroom I
nandito09/11/2019 18:06

I had an gas engineer come out togive me an estimate for a combi boiler, …I had an gas engineer come out togive me an estimate for a combi boiler, I currently have a very old back boiler and he said it would have to be put in my bedroom as the boiler has to be on the same side of the house as the gas meter. This has put me off, I don't like the idea of it being in the bedroom I

I haven’t heard of that before, let’s ask @MattNorfolk .
Matt is that true? A combi boiler has to be placed on the same side of the house as the gas meter Is that right or was the engineer looking for the easiest option do you think?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 9th Nov
Toptrumpet09/11/2019 18:21

I haven’t heard of that before, where’s it currently sited Nandi? Can he no …I haven’t heard of that before, where’s it currently sited Nandi? Can he not just put it where it currently is?

No cos I have a back boiler TT, behind the gas fire
nandito09/11/2019 18:22

No cos I have a back boiler TT, behind the gas fire

Just realised that, sorry - let’s see what Matt says, I trust his opinions.
Toptrumpet09/11/2019 18:24

Just realised that, sorry - let’s see what Matt says, I trust his opinions.

Toptrumpet09/11/2019 18:21

I haven’t heard of that before, let’s ask @MattNorfolk . Matt is that tru …I haven’t heard of that before, let’s ask @MattNorfolk . Matt is that true? A combi boiler has to be placed on the same side of the house as the gas meter Is that right or was the engineer looking for the easiest option do you think?

No not always. Depends on a lot of things like - Gas run (can you get the pipe to boiler under floors etc), flue location, condense, ideally some location near a drain.
MattNorfolk09/11/2019 19:10

No not always. Depends on a lot of things like - Gas run (can you get the …No not always. Depends on a lot of things like - Gas run (can you get the pipe to boiler under floors etc), flue location, condense, ideally some location near a drain.

Thanks Matt, that may help @nandito
MattNorfolk09/11/2019 19:10

No not always. Depends on a lot of things like - Gas run (can you get the …No not always. Depends on a lot of things like - Gas run (can you get the pipe to boiler under floors etc), flue location, condense, ideally some location near a drain.

Thanks Matt. I'm so confused. Don't know answers to those questions
nandito09/11/2019 19:27

Thanks Matt. I'm so confused. Don't know answers to those questions

Get another couple of quotes. The person that quoted may have said that because they didn’t fancy re running the gas across the house. There’s so many factors in it. Flue for the boiler has to be in a certain place (not within certain distance of windows, doors, boundaries etc.) and all boilers are now condensing which means they need a pipe that usually goes to a drain outside.
MattNorfolk09/11/2019 19:35

Get another couple of quotes. The person that quoted may have said that …Get another couple of quotes. The person that quoted may have said that because they didn’t fancy re running the gas across the house. There’s so many factors in it. Flue for the boiler has to be in a certain place (not within certain distance of windows, doors, boundaries etc.) and all boilers are now condensing which means they need a pipe that usually goes to a drain outside.

Ok thanks for your help Matt
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants