Groups

I want to sell our car. Where is best place to sell? Are cars selling well at the moment?

I want to sell our car as my husband has just bought himself another car and I am not far off taking my test and want to replace the car with a smaller, round, girly car lol.

How are car sales going at the moment? where is best to sell?

Many thanks

17 Comments

My sisters other half recently advertised their Lexus in the Auto Trader and got one call. The rest of the calls were from these pain in the backside companies that offer to sell your car for you if you pay them money and tell you they have 25 buyers waiting already. My sister said no to their services and a few days later the same chap called back and said 'well, I've done the warrantly on the car now so you owe me £90'. She unpolitely told him where to poke his bill seeing as she said no previously :-D

In the end, he ended up swapping his car with a mates BMW in the hope that it will sell better in a few weeks. No idea whether it's the market at the moment as the Lexus was a 52 plate and in excellent condition, or whether no one wanted one of those cars. but just one call suggests it may well be the general market. In which case, it could be worth trying the cars for sale section in your local freeads or other local paper as it might be cheaper than the auto trader fees?

Original Poster

Thanks for that.
    I did think that there may be a bit of a slump at the moment, typical! just when I decide to try and sell one.
    Rep has been left for you

It depends a lot on the car itself, size, type, running costs etc. eg your typical chelsea tractors are not selling, but a economical supermini in a low tax/insurance bands will sell like hotcakes

Banned

harlzter;2794237

It depends a lot on the car itself, size, type, running costs etc. eg … It depends a lot on the car itself, size, type, running costs etc. eg your typical chelsea tractors are not selling, but a economical supermini in a low tax/insurance bands will sell like hotcakes

That thats precisely the way it is ATM and no doubt will continue to do so.

Original Poster

Thanks guys! rep added to all.

Unfortunately its a Ford Probe that I want to sell, so not a little car.

If you wanna sell a big car you need: full service history (fsh), good body condition etc

Banned

Where you situated ?

Original Poster

I do have a lot of the history but not all. The body condition is pretty good.
    I am situated in Tamworth, so not far from you wierdowoss

I need a car. Family size 5 door. Have been looking for a while...not that many bargains IMO

:w00t: May have to go to a garage this weekend, I would rather stick needles in my eyes....hate them. Tax expires 31/8 so have no choice now.

My daughters OH advertised in the auto trader and got lots of calls and sold it the day it appeared online.

So I'd recommend that. Hope this helps

Banned

Could you supply me with some details about the car

What plate is it on ?
    Mileage ?
    Colour ?

Original Poster

Thanks iglimpse and suze:)
    Rep added

Original Poster

wierdowoss;2795142

Could you supply me with some details about the carWhat plate is it on … Could you supply me with some details about the carWhat plate is it on ?Mileage ?Colour ?

Its an N reg, has done just under 77,000 miles, so low mileage. The car is a seafoam green, which is a pale ish green colour, looks very nice in the evening.

Effectively it is a Mazda, so far better than the average Ford, however it is probably a 2 litre, which in the present climate isn't good news, as you will know.

AutoTrader or eBay would seem to be the best options, however you will need to be realistic with the price.

Sorry to say it isn't going to make a fortune.

Best of luck with the sale. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Inactive;2797345

Effectively it is a Mazda, so far better than the average Ford, however … Effectively it is a Mazda, so far better than the average Ford, however it is probably a 2 litre, which in the present climate isn't good news, as you will know.AutoTrader or eBay would seem to be the best options, however you will need to be realistic with the price.Sorry to say it isn't going to make a fortune.Best of luck with the sale. :thumbsup:

Yes, it is a 2 litre. I dont expect it to make a fortune at all, just want to get it sold really. Thanks for you advice, rep added:thumbsup:

Now is not a good time to be selling a car with the credit crunch. People are trying to get cheaper cars to run.

Unfortunately the Ford probe was only ever really wanted in V6 format, but even those struggle to sell these days as people dont want to pay for the fuel. The colour is also probably the least desirable one in the range. It might sound harsh, but you might not get much more than scrap value for it (£200). Its probably not worth anymore than £500 on a good day (with full MOT and in very good condition). :-(
    You may well want to keep it if it is possible as its almost certainly worth more to you than anyone else.

Not a good time to sell. I sold my large BMW for close to 50% of what I paid last year for it.

No calls from Autotrader, none from eBay, finally a dealer bought it from me.
    (I know how to word a good advert so that wasn't the problem and there wasn't one scratch on the car!)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      2. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only11
      3. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44
      4. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578

See more discussions