I was beginning to think that I was the only one that was sceptical of climate change

Found 3rd Jul 2007
Last Updated: Tuesday, 3 July 2007, 00:25 GMT 01:25 UK

'Scepticism' over climate claims

The public believes the effects of global warming on the climate are not as bad as politicians and scientists claim, a poll has suggested.
The Ipsos Mori poll of 2,032 adults - interviewed between 14 and 20 June - found 56% believed scientists were still questioning climate change.

There was a feeling the problem was exaggerated to make money, it found.

The Royal Society said most climate scientists believed humans were having an "unprecedented" effect on climate.

The survey suggested that terrorism, graffiti, crime and dog mess were all of more concern than climate change.

Ipsos Mori's head of environmental research, Phil Downing, said the research showed there was "still a lot to do" in encouraging "low-carbon lifestyles".

"We are alive to climate change and very few people actually reject out of hand the idea the climate is changing or that humans have had at least some part to play in this," he added.

"However, a significant number have many doubts about exactly how serious it really is and believe it has been over-hyped."

People had been influenced by counter-arguments, he said.

Royal Society vice-president Sir David Read said: "People should not be misled by those that exploit the complexity of the issue, seeking to distort the science and deny the seriousness of the potential consequences of climate change.

"The science very clearly points towards the need for us all - nations, businesses and individuals - to do as much as possible, as soon as possible, to avoid the worst consequences of a changing climate."

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm LINK

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
9 Comments

Original Poster

And for the record, I do believe that climate change is happening but in my opinion, it is down to natural cycles and humans only have a very minimal effect on it.

Banned

I don't believe all the hype and agree with the natural cycles.

If we lived in a non-changing world, we sure would have a problem with all the life that is now extinct:w00t:

Natural cycles is a strong argument, it doesn't alter the fact we're pumping out all manner of crap that really can't be doing us or the environment any good.

Whether or not a person believes we can directly effect climate change they should still do everything they can to minimise emissions, as if it does turn out that those espousing the dangers of climate change are right then at least we've minimised the impact and if they're wrong then we've still helped out the environment. In the meantime we've all saved money by being more energy efficient and will have lowered our reliance on fossil fuels, which will run out relatively soon anyway.

Whichever way you look at it the only losers by being greener are the energy and oil company shareholders.

How can anyone not accept the impact we are having on the earth. Look at the technology, the industry, aircraft, cars, buses etc. The earth has not really had to put up with what we are throwing at it for millions and millions of years since it was a cooling ball of molten metal.

We obviously are having a huge impact on global warming. The arguement that it would happen anyway is a little like putting a rocket on a car going down a hill and then claiming that it would have rolled down the hill anyway. We are going to have to sort ourselves out. The fact is the planet won't die off, humans could. That's the drastic outlook, the more realistic outlook is that we are going to have to adapt and adapt fast. The good news is we adapt pretty damned well, we wouldn't be at the top of the food chain with these big brains if we didn't.

There are ice ages and warming periods that the planet has undergone at least 7 times according to scientists. However none this fast. I do also feel there are some scare tactics used by politicians and also some misinformation from people (like oil companies) that want you to think global warming is all just rubbish.

it doesn't matter really, if we go on blindly as we are now then we will pay the price. But then there's ignorance, for many it's bliss.

Yeah, i tend to believe scientists who are on oil company payrolls rather than independant ones too.

Ian182 - you're certainly not the only one
I don't believe in this new religion - GlobalWarming™

IMHO, this is nothing more than money-making scam, especially those 'offset your carbon' schemes.

We are having an impact, but as has been said, mainly down to natural cycles.
It is a very good time for the government to bring in extra taxes without a public backlash.
I heard there was to be a waste tax? I thought part of my council tax went towards that?
How long before an envioroment tax?
People dare not disagree with it, and the governments know this.
Its getting very tiresome when anything happens and people are all jumping on the TV claiming Global warming. A few years ago we was told it wouldn't start to change things till our kids kids, but suddenly they are saying the weather etc that is happening now is down to G Warming.

Ok, we are pumping loads of chemicals etc into the atmosphere, and yes, they need reducing, but resisdential areas are nowhere near as bad as commercial, so lets sort the commercial areas.
The earths atmosphere is well capable to managing residential waste. Remember only a very small area of the earths surface is land and an even smaller area that is commercial.
Lets be Green, but in a sensible way, people know what is right without some government tax to force you.

If you haven't guessed, I dont beleive in this global waming either, but there are alot of company's and governments making alot of money.

m623d

Ok, we are pumping loads of chemicals etc into the atmosphere, and yes, … Ok, we are pumping loads of chemicals etc into the atmosphere, and yes, they need reducing, but resisdential areas are nowhere near as bad as commercial, so lets sort the commercial areas. The earths atmosphere is well capable to managing residential waste. Remember only a very small area of the earths surface is land and an even smaller area that is commercial. Lets be Green, but in a sensible way, people know what is right without some government tax to force you.

Sums it up perfectly!

Original Poster

Too many jobs rely on global warming, and too many companies rely on income from the global warming scare tactics.

davelfc

How can anyone not accept the impact we are having on the earth. Look at … How can anyone not accept the impact we are having on the earth. Look at the technology, the industry, aircraft, cars, buses etc. The earth has not really had to put up with what we are throwing at it for millions and millions of years since it was a cooling ball of molten metal.

Can you explain why the earth's temperature decreased significantly during the industrial revolution, which saw a major increase in carbon emissions?

Anyway, even if all these scare stories are true, the world's leaders would have blown the planet up well before we all drown due to global warming!!
Post a comment
@
    Text