Expired

I was caught slightly Speeding WHILST overtaking by a police camera van. Can i dispute the ticket?

Found 3rd Jul 2015
So basically i was driving behind a range rover for around 5 miles on the Snakes Pass coming from Manchester to Sheffield. As soon as i saw it was safe to overtake i did, so i went from 50 to 57mph (it was also downhill so sped up faster) and overtook the range rover. As i was side by side with the Range rover i saw a hidden police camera van and i knew straightaway i would receive a ticket through the post.

2 days later they sent me a letter saying i had been caught doing 57mph in a 50mph zone. Im not a speeding driver, i was doing below 50mph all the way behind a big range rover which was restricting my view ahead and confusing me (around bends and turns etc) so i wanted to overtake it asap and just as i thought it was safe to overtake so i did, and with my luck there was a hidden police camera van.

Can i take this to court and dispute the ticket? - As its my first offence I don't wan't to go on a drivers awareness course as i dont think its very fair.

They say in the letter that they have photographic evidence which im sure they do but it will only be of me overtaking as i was doing below 50mph all the way.

62 Comments

you probably could take it to court but you wont win,there is no valid excuse for speeding and you'd get a bigger penalty if you went to court.

speeding to overtake is certainly not a valid reason

Quote: "Im not a speeding driver,"
The fact you were caught doing 57 in a 50 says you are.

Quote: "i was doing below 50mph all the way behind a big range rover which was restricting my view ahead and confusing me (around bends and turns etc)"
This is concerning. Perhaps you ought to take a drivers refresher course.

Quote: "Can i take this to court and dispute the ticket?"
Yes, but if you lose your penalty will be higher.

Quote: "They say in the letter that they have photographic evidence which im sure they do but it will only be of me overtaking"
No, they have photographic evidence of you committing a speeding offence.

Quote: "As its my first offence I don't wan't to go on a drivers awareness course as i dont think its very fair."
Crap happens. You were caught fair and square. Man up and take the Speed awareness course. It's interesting and is far better than having 3 points.

Edited by: "artnada" 3rd Jul 2015

You broke the speed limit. You got caught. End of.
overtaking wasnt the safest option for you, extending distance between you and car ahead was, so that wont stand in a court.

It will cost you 100 pound and a day sat in a classroom. Id take it
Edited by: "Pitch^^" 3rd Jul 2015

No you'll be fine and get off with just a warning . Just tell the court that you asked on HUKD and someone said you would be let off and the court would consider you a safe non speeding driver .

Original Poster

thanks for ur replies, some are helpful, some are not.... How else do you overtake if you cant speed up?

Which are helpful and which are not?

Original Poster

and also, if i take the awareness course does this affect my car insurance... i.e. when they ask if you have had any claims or disputes in last 5 years do i have to declare the drivers awareness course or is that something else?

No, you do not have to declare it.

Original Poster

artnada

No, you do not have to declare it.

okay thanks.

Can i take this to court and dispute the ticket? - As its my first … Can i take this to court and dispute the ticket? - As its my first offence I don't wan't to go on a drivers awareness course as i dont think its very fair.

The speed awareness course is there to remind people of the things they have forgotten and things they may not (but should) have known.
As you don't realise what you've done wrong (not going to repeat previous comments) then the speed awareness course is not only fair, but appropriate. Go - find out why speeding on the wrong side of the road is still speeding and why it could be worse especially when you can't see what's coming up

Original Poster

tapi

The speed awareness course is there to remind people of the things they … The speed awareness course is there to remind people of the things they have forgotten and things they may not (but should) have known.As you don't realise what you've done wrong (not going to repeat previous comments) then the speed awareness course is not only fair, but appropriate. Go - find out why speeding on the wrong side of the road is still speeding and why it could be worse especially when you can't see what's coming up

I was driving for 5 miles behind the Range rover as it wasnt safe for me to overtake. As soon as it was a straight, it was safe for me to overtake.

Are you telling me either of you who have commented havnt overtaken a car before?

Original Poster

and it wasnt like it was going over the speed limit massively. it was by 7mph.

UseAVoucher

thanks for ur replies, some are helpful, some are not.... How else do you … thanks for ur replies, some are helpful, some are not.... How else do you overtake if you cant speed up?

you overtake when the vehicle in front of you or inside of you is going slower than the speed limit and you can pass WITHOUT breaking the speed limit,if those cars are going at the speed limit why would you think it was ok to overtake them? dont get me wrong i speed all the time and if i get caught would just have to hold my hands up and take it on the chin im not having ago either just stating the fact,paying up would be far better in this case .

UseAVoucher

and it wasnt like it was going over the speed limit massively. it was by … and it wasnt like it was going over the speed limit massively. it was by 7mph.

It is still over the speed limit. It doesn't matter if it is "only 7mph". It is an offence.

UseAVoucher

How else do you overtake if you cant speed up?

You go faster than the car you are overtaking as long as you don't drive any faster than the stated speed limit. Kind of the definition of limit.

Original Poster

jamstaruk1972

you overtake when the vehicle in front of you or inside of you is going … you overtake when the vehicle in front of you or inside of you is going slower than the speed limit and you can pass WITHOUT breaking the speed limit,if those cars are going at the speed limit why would you think it was ok to overtake them? dont get me wrong i speed all the time and if i get caught would just have to hold my hands up and take it on the chin im not having ago either just stating the fact,paying up would be far better in this case .

The car in front was under the speed limit, the fact it was also a downhill my car sped up faster.

UseAVoucher

you overtake when the vehicle in front of you or inside of you is going … you overtake when the vehicle in front of you or inside of you is going slower than the speed limit and you can pass WITHOUT breaking the speed limit,if those cars are going at the speed limit why would you think it was ok to overtake them? dont get me wrong i speed all the time and if i get caught would just have to hold my hands up and take it on the chin im not having ago either just stating the fact,paying up would be far better in this case .

The car in front was under the speed limit, the fact it was also a downhill my car sped up faster.[/quote]
Then you were not in full control of your vehicle.

Original Poster

artnada

The car in front was under the speed limit, the fact it was also a … The car in front was under the speed limit, the fact it was also a downhill my car sped up faster.[/quote]Then you were not in full control of your vehicle.

I was in total control of my vehicle.

UseAVoucher

and it wasnt like it was going over the speed limit massively. it was by … and it wasnt like it was going over the speed limit massively. it was by 7mph.

a police officer friend told me you'd normaly be allowed 10% leeway anything more than that you would get a ticket(from an officer) dont think that matters for a camera even then in your case you broke that 10% leeway

OP if you go to court with the same arguments you're shouting here, you're gonna need one of these.

http://s21.postimg.org/pgwp4aqbb/image.jpg

Original Poster

jamstaruk1972

a police officer friend told me you'd normaly be allowed 10% leeway … a police officer friend told me you'd normaly be allowed 10% leeway anything more than that you would get a ticket(from an officer) dont think that matters for a camera even then in your case you broke that 10% leeway

yes i was also told 10%. on the letter i received they say in a 50mph zone they give a drivers awareness course for drivers going upto 64mph.. i thought as i was no where near that i may of been able to dispute it.
Edited by: "UseAVoucher" 3rd Jul 2015

Original Poster

artnada

OP if you go to court with the same arguments you're shouting here, … OP if you go to court with the same arguments you're shouting here, you're gonna need one of these.

lol

UseAVoucher

yes i was also told 10%. on the letter i received they say in a 50mph … yes i was also told 10%. on the letter i received they say in a 50mph zone they give a drivers awareness course for drivers going upto 64mph.. i thought as i was no where near that i may of been able to dispute it.

i THINK that mean upto 64mph thats how it would be dealt with over 64mph would be dealt with as very excessive and prob considered dangerous driving with harsher penalties

sorry but you will have to just accept it, if you go to court using this argument you'd probably get worse as to make sure you learnt that speeding isn't acceptable.

for what is worth I'm with you, and if you had been caught by an actual person who pulled you over it probably would have been different.

I once was caught doing over 100 on the m5 by Bristol by an unmarked police car, the chap rather than taking me to court gave me a fine and 3 points, he said he could go to court with the speed I was doing but I accepted I was in the wrong (which I was) and I was going down a hill so he added extra allowance on to the usual 10%.

So you were both doing the limit, you didn't want to back off so you decided to overtake and break the limit...take the course

UseAVoucher

okay thanks.

Bad advice.

Many insurance providers have changed the question regarding driving penalties to include asking whether you have been on a driving awareness course.

You may not have to declare it now (although if you have an accident and they do a dvla search of your licence it will show up) but it's very likely you will have to declare it come renewal time.

You were speeding. If you were doing 55mph you wouldn't have got a ticket. I know that stretch of road well, i've used it many times and clearly visible are signs saying helicopter speed cameras, watch your speed number of biker deaths in several locations. It may be fun to drive on and it's a real pain getting stuck behind someone slow when actually it could be so much fun at speed but you've broken the law. I wouldn't appeal because you'll lose, if offered take the speeding course. It's educational and if you've been driving many years it'll do you no harm to brush up on your Highway Code as things have changed. 10% is the magic number and btw most of those bends are blind bends so overtaking on there is dangerous (which is probably why you were done)

You're a bad driver, end of. Take the fine and have some driving lessons

Is this thread a wind up?

If this thread had evidential video I'm certain it would go viral.

Thanks for the laugh OP - I heard there was a new movie coming out - it's title "Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest go overtaking"

seabs

Bad advice. Many insurance providers have changed the question regarding … Bad advice. Many insurance providers have changed the question regarding driving penalties to include asking whether you have been on a driving awareness course. You may not have to declare it now (although if you have an accident and they do a dvla search of your licence it will show up) but it's very likely you will have to declare it come renewal time.

This is 100% correct and will need declaring at renewal.

I don't think you will have a chance going to court unless you pay for a very good solicitor as you are over the 10%. For those who may be travelling to North Wales beware as I'm sure they do not allow any% above any speed limit

Did the Grammar Police give you a ticket for starting your sentence with "So" and "Basically"?

Please don't go to Court and plead those arguments. Just take the speed awareness course and move on.

I can feel your pain as lets face it we've all probably speeded up a little over the speed limit to overtake a car that seems to be travelling at an annoying speed under the limit, However that's not really a valid excuse.

It's like saying you murdered someone but you only murdered them once and wouldn't do it again. Do the course and learn your lesson.

philphil61

Is this thread a wind up?If this thread had evidential video I'm certain … Is this thread a wind up?If this thread had evidential video I'm certain it would go viral.Thanks for the laugh OP - I heard there was a new movie coming out - it's title "Dumb, Dumber and Dumbest go overtaking"

I was thinking this also.... it has cheered me up also.

cliosport65

This is 100% correct and will need declaring at renewal.

It only counts if you have been asked by insurer, at this time only Admiral ask. That is, if asked you need to come clean, if not asked, do not say anything. There is only a record on the Police database for three years. A driving course is not placed on your licence therefore not recorded for public knowledge. Police have it on record in case you offend again, therefore you then receive points for more offences and then you have to declare it ASAP with your insurer.

Not going to get into a debate about whether the driver is right or wrong.

In most constabularies you are allowed 10%(of the speed limit) + 2mph so I think if you appealed citing the accuracy of the tools used you'd more than likely get off.....

UseAVoucher

thanks for ur replies, some are helpful, some are not.... How else do you … thanks for ur replies, some are helpful, some are not.... How else do you overtake if you cant speed up?

Why over take if like you admitted, you were already doing the speed limit of 50mph?

You're allowed to exceed the limit while overtaking as long as you go back to the limit once the overtake is complete.

this thread reminds me of a guy at work complaining that he got a ticket for going through a red light as "he was going slowly "
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions