Groups

I was in a car accident - what are my rights

Tonight whilst i was stationary in traffic a guy went into the back of me. He got out and gave me his insurance company name, policy number, mobile number and email address and his first name. Due to it being my first accident i was in a bit of shock so i didn't take down his license plate number.

What should i do now?

I have been advised to go to the doctors on monday to get them to check my neck and that i should ring the police in 24 hours. Have i got enough on his information to make a claim as some of the paint has been chipped off the back of my car due to the speed at which he hit me at (good job i wore a seatbelt)

62 Comments

Licence plate? This is hot[COLOR=Blue]UK[COLOR=Black]deals :whistling:[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Inform your police giving them what info you know, likewise your insurance, both asap and I would suggest if you are going to make a personal injury claim you get down to A&E this evening, going Dr's on Monday wont cut the mustard :whistling:

you cant be in pain if you can wait till monday to go get checked out. Doesnt look like any compensation, however you should get insurance covered for the damage

Sorry to hear that. You both must report it to the police within 24 hours if there are any injuries or anything other than the cars are damaged. Going to the Dr's on Monday is pointless, if you are injured go now. You need to ring your insurance company straight away too and give them all the details you have. By law, he should have given you his surname too. Ring his mobile and get it before calling your insurance. It is best to get his registration number but not essential.
    Hope this helps.

yep if you want to claim then you need to go to a&e straight away and it will be logged on there records.

Banned

dont waste the polices time. they only want to know if someone is injured. the driver gave all their details so just phone your insurance company

/thread

Banned

the porter;7110503

get down to the walk in centre get it documented wait for the cheque min … get down to the walk in centre get it documented wait for the cheque min £1500

what a sad state the UK is in when people just think about compo! :whistling:

guess who pays for all these fraudulent claims - honest drivers! :roll:

greyparrot;7110519

yep if you want to claim then you need to go to a&e straight away and it … yep if you want to claim then you need to go to a&e straight away and it will be logged on there records.

oh yeah i claimed for whip lash and for my foot that got crushed under the glove box that was 7 years ago and i got £1500 and my partner was also a passenger in a car at the begining of the year that had a accident and he recieved £2,750 2 months ago.

You just ring him, ask for his reg number, then ring your insurance company. they'll ask for details and his reg number, they will then contact his insurance company to process claim.
    You don't need to involve the police unless he has given you wrong details, but then they won't be able to trace him without car reg number.
    Hope this helps

the porter;7110503

get down to the walk in centre get it documented wait for the cheque min … get down to the walk in centre get it documented wait for the cheque min £1500

not always and op should be thanking their lucky stars they were not injured, so how,s about not wasting police time or doctors or anyone esle for that matter and just phone your insurance company and they will sort the repair for you.

ness.hirons;7110547

You just ring him, ask for his reg number, then ring your insurance … You just ring him, ask for his reg number, then ring your insurance company. they'll ask for details and his reg number, they will then contact his insurance company to process claim. You don't need to involve the police unless he has given you wrong details, but then they won't be able to trace him without car reg number.Hope this helps

yeah but if he wants to claim for personnal injury he needs to go to a&e.

Call your insurance company and deal with it, simple.

I dont know why people need to talk about getting compensation for things like this.

Grop up you lot!

Original Poster

I got advised to go and get it checked out on Monday just incase there is something wrong not that im impying there is or anything the guy asked me if i was ok when i got out and i said i was, no bleeding and broken bones was what i was thankful for at that point.

Im just really intrested in making sure i can definetly locate him as being the one responsible for damaging my car. As a phone number and email address dont do any good if the guy doesn't reply..

why waste everybodys time in and a+e (including your own), unless you are seriously hurt (which is unlikely as you are typing!). i will be happy to pm you with neck sprain advice until you see gp for the documentation for IF you need to make any injury claim. pm or not, you will be stiffer over next few days. and look on bright side no one got hurt.

greyparrot;7110519

yep if you want to claim then you need to go to a&e straight away and it … yep if you want to claim then you need to go to a&e straight away and it will be logged on there records.

actually within 24hours and whiplash doesnt usually set in straight away

They can trace the driver though name and address but if he lied your ****** - but as you have his number just ring and ask him to confirm his reg number dont say you dont have it.

Also if anybody was injured you must wait for the police to arrive and you both needed to be breathalysed

chezz2;7110646

why waste everybodys time in and a+e (including your own), unless you are … why waste everybodys time in and a+e (including your own), unless you are seriously hurt (which is unlikely as you are typing!). i will be happy to pm you with neck sprain advice until you see gp for the documentation for IF you need to make any injury claim. pm or not, you will be stiffer over next few days. and look on bright side no one got hurt.

+1 totally agree with you as i said earlier and i am glad op is ok also.

Banned

wulshaz;7110562

not always and op should be thanking their lucky stars they were not … not always and op should be thanking their lucky stars they were not injured, so how,s about not wasting police time or doctors or anyone esle for that matter and just phone your insurance company and they will sort the repair for you.

well said! Some right thieving scum on this site lately :x

Original Poster

Theres no point me going into A and E now where there are people with their legs hanging off and my complaint is that im wanting to know if i might have whiplash.

Thanks for the advice, ill give the guy a ring tomorrow and ask for him to confirm his reg number. If he doesn't give it to me or reply will having his policy number be enough?

ainsleyb;7110730

Theres no point me going into A and E now where there are people with … Theres no point me going into A and E now where there are people with their legs hanging off and my complaint is that im wanting to know if i might have whiplash.Thanks for the advice, ill give the guy a ring tomorrow and ask for him to confirm his reg number. If he doesn't give it to me or reply will having his policy number be enough?

Ok, whiplash.

Does your neck hurt ? - -

Yes - Possible whiplash

No - No whiplash

Supermod

greyparrot;7110566

yeah but if he wants to claim for personnal injury he needs to go to a&e.

No he doesnt. He can go to a doctor afterwards and be assessed.

Original Poster

Not really it feels a little bit stiff compared to normal but thats probably because my head went forward pretty quickly when i was hit, i dont know the exact speed he was going but it must have been 20-30. Like i said though, trusty seatbelt saved my head from hitting the windscreen.

magicjay1986;7110757

No he doesnt. He can go to a doctor afterwards and be assessed.

+1

Some terrible advise in this thread. You only need to make one phone call and thats to your insurance company. Give them all the info you've got and let them do what you pay them for.

[COLOR=black]Whiplash[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=navy]''Symptoms can appear directly after the injury, but often are not felt until days afterwards.''[/COLOR]

Original Poster

tregs;7110783

[COLOR=black]Whiplash[/COLOR][COLOR=navy]''Symptoms can appear directly … [COLOR=black]Whiplash[/COLOR][COLOR=navy]''Symptoms can appear directly after the injury, but often are not felt until days afterwards.''[/COLOR]

Yeah thats why i planned to go monday plus the doctor im registered at isn't open sunday and saturday afternoons.

All im really bothered about is my car and the damage getting paid for, i can't really asses all the damage at the moment because its dark but it looks to just be chips in the paint

Supermod

If you are not hurt and then claim for whiplash (without actually suffering from this) then you are a thief and breaking the law.

You have to claim for injury within 3 years of the accident.

Original Poster

magicjay1986;7110809

If you are not hurt and then claim for whiplash (without actually … If you are not hurt and then claim for whiplash (without actually suffering from this) then you are a thief and breaking the law.

I've not once mentioned claiming for anything, only that ive been told to go to the doctors on monday to get checked out because the effects aren't always felt immediately.

So you can slide down from you're high horse now.

GentleTouch;7110458

you cant be in pain if you can wait till monday to go get checked out. … you cant be in pain if you can wait till monday to go get checked out. Doesnt look like any compensation, however you should get insurance covered for the damage

not true... you won't suffer from neck pain (whiplash) straight away, and this could take a few days to appear. :thumbsup:

I had a similar accident about 2 months ago. I was stationary at a T junction and the third party ploughed into the back of me - so hard they wrote my car off. At the time me and my passenger were just shocked and shaken, me especially as it was my first accident. All I did was get the car recovered, ring my insurance company and then went to bed. I woke up the next morning in agony, my back was extremely sore. I went to the doctors about 2 days after the crash. What makes it worse is that my passenger had just been discharged from her Physio after a couple of years of back problems - now they're all back again, and much worse!

Still chasing my insurance company for my £400 excess money.. as the third party still hasn't admitted liability (that I know of!).

Supermod

ainsleyb;7110850

I've not once mentioned claiming for anything, only that ive been told to … I've not once mentioned claiming for anything, only that ive been told to go to the doctors on monday to get checked out because the effects aren't always felt immediately.So you can slide down from you're high horse now.

That was NOT directed at you so you need to calm down. You come on here for advice, this isnt a lecture.

I have more experience than most in this arena. Quit being rude.

tregs;7110783

[COLOR=black]Whiplash[/COLOR][COLOR=navy]''Symptoms can appear directly … [COLOR=black]Whiplash[/COLOR][COLOR=navy]''Symptoms can appear directly after the injury, but often are not felt until days afterwards.''[/COLOR]

absolutely right, but although from an accident its not an emergency, gets worse at first but easily settled with simple neck and shoulder exercises and simple analgesia. as to other issues i agree get your insurance company to take over now. have a glass of wine and put some chillout tunes on while you do your neck ecercises:)

op you are clearly a little bit sore not unexpected and i do sympathise but one call to your insurance company should sort it out and like the rest of the doctors they are closed sat/sun but you would know yourself if you were bad enough to be needing medical help so if not please do not waste valuable medical staffs help or the police and make that call to your insurance and put your mind at rest.

Original Poster

magicjay1986;7110881

That was NOT directed at you so you need to calm down. You come on here … That was NOT directed at you so you need to calm down. You come on here for advice, this isnt a lecture. I have more experience than most in this arena. Quit being rude.

You seem to just be saying random facts.

Supermod

ainsleyb;7110912

You seem to just be saying random facts.

People in this post are making out it is the "norm" to throw a whiplash claim in to the mix. If it was directed at you I would have quoted you.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand, if you need any advice I am willing to talk.

Original Poster

Ok well i was just wondering really and ive got my answer, ill ring the guy and insurance company to get it sorted out and go to the doctors as a precaution. Im 18 so i don't really want/need to go down the making claims to pay the mortgage route just yet, just wanted some information seeing as insurance and teenagers dont mix.

cant believe the amount of people saying to put in claim and go to A+E shocking !!!

ainsleyb;7111017

Ok well i was just wondering really and ive got my answer, ill ring the … Ok well i was just wondering really and ive got my answer, ill ring the guy and insurance company to get it sorted out and go to the doctors as a precaution. Im 18 so i don't really want/need to go down the making claims to pay the mortgage route just yet, just wanted some information seeing as insurance and teenagers dont mix.

good luck hope your neck is ok x

Original Poster

ilovepink;7111031

good luck hope your neck is ok x

Thanks

Supermod

ainsleyb;7111017

Ok well i was just wondering really and ive got my answer, ill ring the … Ok well i was just wondering really and ive got my answer, ill ring the guy and insurance company to get it sorted out and go to the doctors as a precaution. Im 18 so i don't really want/need to go down the making claims to pay the mortgage route just yet, just wanted some information seeing as insurance and teenagers dont mix.

Best of luck and I hope things turn out well for you.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?31141
      2. Find out how good your GP surgery is55
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio711
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6541246

See more discussions