Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

I was just scammed

Posted 21st Sep
Edit:
Fortunately PayPal have voted in my favour and will be getting the money after all... I know how stupid I was to go through with the transaction but am happy that this happened so I know for the future.

Unfortunately last night I was scammed by a very convincing man through eBay.
I was selling a mobile phone through eBay yesterday when I received a message from buyer saying that they could collect the same day, to contact them via their number. I first checked their feedback which was over 100 so I thought it was fine. Anyway got in contact with them and eventually paid in the night around 8:20pm... however the payment came through another eBay account via PayPal. Thought this was odd, but seeing as they paid I went through with it. The guy I was in communication with said apparently his friend would collect as he is down the road. I said that is fine. The ‘friend’ arrived 2 mins after payment was made. We spent about 10 mins talking as I had to reset the device... he was very convincing in how confidently he was speaking (possibly because he’s done this so many times before).
Anyway during the sale I received a message from the eBay account that paid saying it was an unauthorised purchase and to cancel. I did stop and question but seconds later got another message saying to continue with the sale and that the guys partner got confused. I didn’t think much of it but should’ve stopped then and there. Anyway had a quick look at the PayPal address etc and continued with the sale.
Around 5-10 mins after the ‘friend’ had went off with the phone I received a message from eBay saying that the order was cancelled as the account was hacked into... also got a message from PayPal for an open dispute about the payment being Unauthorized etc.

I’ve tried to tell what’s happened clearly as possible.

I’m not that fussed about the money because it comes and goes... if it’s too good to be true don’t do it

Just thought I would post this to see if anyone has every experienced something like this before and possibly give me some advice on what I should do moving forward... and if there is a possibility of getting my money.

I should have the guy on Cctv footage, but won’t be that clear as it was dark

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
@Hassxn786

Sorry you have been scammed, & thank you for reminding everybody about this practice; especially in the run-up to Christmas when eBay/PayPal usage will increase.

"...Just thought I would post this to see if anyone has every experienced something like this before and possibly give me some advice on what I should do moving forward... and if there is a possibility of getting my money."

Report this to your local police station in the hope that you can provide the officers with information to identify the person you met while those details are still fresh in your mind.

The statement you provide may prove useful should anybody be under investigation (now, or in the future) regarding theft &/or fraud.

Your CCTV footage could also be used even though you think it is not clear.

Good luck.
29 Comments
PayPal payment and collection in person is just a massive no no for me. In person has to be cash in hand and I check it with a UV machine I have or bank transfer if it's something expensive like a car.

Maybe try reporting the phone as stollen and get it barred or whatever, no idea if that is possible though.
MIDURIX21/09/2019 07:58

PayPal payment and collection in person is just a massive no no for me. In …PayPal payment and collection in person is just a massive no no for me. In person has to be cash in hand and I check it with a UV machine I have or bank transfer if it's something expensive like a car.Maybe try reporting the phone as stollen and get it barred or whatever, no idea if that is possible though.

Yeah, I only had the phone for a week and barely used it so thought to sell back on ebay just to make some money out of it. Will probably get in contact with the person I bought the phone off and see if they can block it, I’ve got the imei and seriel number
Yep, this ^^^^^^^^
People still accept PayPal and allow collection?
Which phone
The_Fiend21/09/2019 08:31

Which phone

Obscure train of thought!

deeky21/09/2019 08:30

People still accept PayPal and allow collection?

People also have CCTV installed & agree for somebody they do not know to come to their property when it is too dark for the footage to be useful.
@Hassxn786

Sorry you have been scammed, & thank you for reminding everybody about this practice; especially in the run-up to Christmas when eBay/PayPal usage will increase.

"...Just thought I would post this to see if anyone has every experienced something like this before and possibly give me some advice on what I should do moving forward... and if there is a possibility of getting my money."

Report this to your local police station in the hope that you can provide the officers with information to identify the person you met while those details are still fresh in your mind.

The statement you provide may prove useful should anybody be under investigation (now, or in the future) regarding theft &/or fraud.

Your CCTV footage could also be used even though you think it is not clear.

Good luck.
Sorry to hear about the scam and a good reminder to us all about paypal and collection in person.
Unfortunate bro

Warmth issued,

The Fiend
Also sounds like you gave your home address out before a sale which I don't know why anyone would do.
@Hassxn786

Sorry to read you've been scammed.

Thanks for being bold enough to share it with the community. A warning to us all m8ty "Tis the season to be wary"
Sadly you have no hope of getting your money back. The most you can do is to try and get the phone blacklisted, although what normally happens is the new owner sells it cheaply to an unsuspecting buyer and when the blacklist kicks in the seller is long gone, having used a facebook group/gumtree ad or stolen ebay account.
Sc4mp021/09/2019 10:06

Also sounds like you gave your home address out before a sale which I …Also sounds like you gave your home address out before a sale which I don't know why anyone would do.

Just postcode
Always do cash on collection, no paypal. Bank transfer if large item and has to be in person.
Sorry to hear. These types of scams have been going for many years. Definitely report it to the police and use the crime reference number to contact the network to block the phone.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 21st Sep
What else to say, "oh my, oh my, when you catch them, hang them high".
Hard to believe after having message saying do not proceed its unauthorized use you still gave it to him, well at least you know in future.
Same will happen if you advertise a car sometimes they say a friend will come because im away in army etc..
Mark_Hickman21/09/2019 13:54

Hard to believe after having message saying do not proceed its …Hard to believe after having message saying do not proceed its unauthorized use you still gave it to him, well at least you know in future.Same will happen if you advertise a car sometimes they say a friend will come because im away in army etc..

I've had this one before. 'I'm away at sea at the moment, but I really want this, my friend will come'
Mark_Hickman21/09/2019 13:54

Hard to believe after having message saying do not proceed its …Hard to believe after having message saying do not proceed its unauthorized use you still gave it to him, well at least you know in future.Same will happen if you advertise a car sometimes they say a friend will come because im away in army etc..

I’m an absolute fool... after that message, 30 seconds later I got another message saying to continue with the sale as their partner got confused apparently. That’s why I continued with the sale
Edited by: "Hassxn786" 21st Sep
Hassxn78621/09/2019 14:04

I’m an absolute fool... after that message, 30 seconds later I got another …I’m an absolute fool... after that message, 30 seconds later I got another message saying to continue with the sale as their partner got confused apparently. That’s why I continued with the sale

Nevermind, that would have been the owner plus the scammer both logged into the same account i guess, plus it could be intimidating having another guy in front of you
Hassxn78621/09/2019 14:04

I’m an absolute fool... after that message, 30 seconds later I got another …I’m an absolute fool... after that message, 30 seconds later I got another message saying to continue with the sale as their partner got confused apparently. That’s why I continued with the sale

Sorry to hear about this. I am a bit confused as to what happened.

The guy turns up and there is an email to say its unauthorised?

Then a follow up to say to proceed with the sale?

Where do these emails originate from, the buyer?

Hope you can get something back - and the person is caught. Filth!
Edited by: "pfagan10" 21st Sep
I
pfagan1021/09/2019 14:21

Sorry to hear about this. I am a bit confused as to what happened.The guy …Sorry to hear about this. I am a bit confused as to what happened.The guy turns up and there is an email to say its unauthorised?Then a follow up to say to proceed with the sale?Where do these emails originate from, the buyer?Hope you can get something back - and the person is caught. Filth!

It’s all very complicating... PayPal got back to me to say that they were in my favour. The case has been closed and don’t want anything as such to ever happen again to me or anyone
Hassxn78621/09/2019 15:41

IIt’s all very complicating... PayPal got back to me to say that they were …IIt’s all very complicating... PayPal got back to me to say that they were in my favour. The case has been closed and don’t want anything as such to ever happen again to me or anyone

Glad to hear it!
Hassxn78621/09/2019 15:41

IIt’s all very complicating... PayPal got back to me to say that they were …IIt’s all very complicating... PayPal got back to me to say that they were in my favour. The case has been closed and don’t want anything as such to ever happen again to me or anyone

well done.. but you got very lucky..
Hope you've tried to get the phone barred mate. Hopefully it will only be useful as parts to these thieving &£&+ then
shabbird21/09/2019 16:15

well done.. but you got very lucky..

I know I’ve been lucky on this occasion, need to be more careful in the future.
Maverick7721/09/2019 18:06

Hope you've tried to get the phone barred mate. Hopefully it will only be …Hope you've tried to get the phone barred mate. Hopefully it will only be useful as parts to these thieving &£&+ then

I bought the phone about a week ago myself. As it was on Vodafone and didn’t want to wait to get it unlocked, I thought I would sell it.... I’ve got the imei / seriel number but I don’t think I could do much unless I contact the original person I bought it from to block it
Hassxn78621/09/2019 23:07

I bought the phone about a week ago myself. As it was on Vodafone and …I bought the phone about a week ago myself. As it was on Vodafone and didn’t want to wait to get it unlocked, I thought I would sell it.... I’ve got the imei / seriel number but I don’t think I could do much unless I contact the original person I bought it from to block it

I'd do that mate, quick as you can too to stop them flipping it onto someone else.
Glad its sorted.

About a year ago, I sold £150s worth of gift vouchers for £149 on ebay. Seller paid straight away via PayPal, but then requested to have the voucher code sent via pics rather than postage, as they wanted to buy something. The lady (I suspected due to her name), appeared very friendly and I didn't think anything of it. The only thing I did right was, every communication was via ebay, including pics and her msg were through Ebay and PayPal comments also.

After about 3 weeks, case was opened via paypal. PayPal informed me that the buyer informed their bank that they did not authorize this payment, & PayPal should not have authorized payment. PayPal informed me that they will look into this and as they could also be liable if found at fault, however did say that I am not protected as it's not covered if good not posted. Also contacted Ebay, who were happy to assist in anyway but mainly if we lost the case (ebay are generally happy to payout).

Provided all my evidence of our communication, and after a long 4 to 5 months, we won the case. I have this evil individuals name and address, but didn't bother contacting.
Edited by: "ithinkin" 22nd Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants