I was scammed online please help!

Posted 17th JanEdited by:"Victim.101"
I purchased a phone online yesterday. Now the seller asked me to meet him in Maidstone and gave me a post code where we can meet which for me is assurance that he is sincere and honest seller. however, I was working that time and asked him if he can post which he agreed as long as I will cover for the delivery charges. I sent him the money through his bank account. The seller seems to be descent and professional all through out the transaction and now after receiving the money he is not responding to any of my messages and worst he blocked me on Facebook. Is there anyway someone can help me on how to trace his information? I have all his details and also the post code he gave me. He is using Halifax bank.

UpdatE:thank u all for the answer. Its so weird i cannot reply and post a comment?

I meet the seller via gumtree and decided to buy the iphone x he advertised. it was a descent offer i paid 300 for the phone plus 10 pounds for the delivery. at first i sent the money via paypal to be safe but he refunded me and told me that he cant wait 28( days?) to get the money and if i can send it via bank transfer assuring me that he is geniune etc. As soon as he received the money he blocked me. since i have all his details i sent him a text message this morning that if he did not send me the item or atleast refunded me I will message all his friends that i have saved and will email his bank about his fraudulent activities. I guess he got scared and later on unblocked me again and informed me that he still did not recieved the payment and will send the item as soon as he received the money. Though im in doubt he would do that i still trusted him but i already message the bank to hold the money and ask for refund but REVOLUT is not really helpful they just advised me that they can process the investigation if i file a complaint to the police which i dont want to do as i can see the guy is a family man and have small childrens and i cannot just do it. I dont want him to be in trouble i just want my money back. later this afternoon he message me that he is on the way to his bank to check if he have the money which i find so weird as he can easily check it online still i trusted him and trying to be nice. Until now there is no update and been calling him but he isnt picking up the phone? I have his post code saved(when he asked me to go to maidstone i just dont know if its his address) i also have his email address from paypal, mobile number and facebook. Now i cannot reached him and is ignoring all of my calls and messages. I just dont know what to do
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Never transfer funds into another person's bank account.
Victim.10118/01/2020 01:12

Its a lesson learned for me. I just feel bad that the money i sent is not …Its a lesson learned for me. I just feel bad that the money i sent is not from my own account. it belongs to my autistic brother who have save money for a year so he can buy a phone he likes. It breaks my heart so much..

I assume you are going to pay your brother back as its not his fault you aren't aware of the risks of bank transfers to a complete stranger

The facebook account could well be a hacked one too
I'm not condoning identity fraud, but if you believe in karma...someone might put his account number and sort code on a charity direct debit form...
46 Comments
What was the payment method for "I purchased a phone online yesterday" ?
You should have sent the money through PayPal
You lost the money. Could try and call your bank but there is not much of a point.

Only thing you can do is create a police report online using Action Fraud, include all bank account details.

Bank transfer could be worth the risk for smaller value transactions under £50 maybe (if making a good saving from a seller with good feedback), but for something as expensive as a phone it isn't safe.
Edited by: "jamie15" 17th Jan
AndyRoyd17/01/2020 23:33

Bank transfer
Now a days, you’d have a warning before sending a bill payment, it’s for you to be aware and acknowledge the potential risks. This safeguards banks and building societies; they don’t have to refund you as you agreed with the transaction, and still proceeded.

By the way, nice username and thanks for joining Hukd;)
Edited by: "Ka11ran" 17th Jan
jamie1517/01/2020 23:34

Bank transfer

I related bank transfer exclusively to the "delivery charges".
Arto17/01/2020 23:33

You should have sent the money through PayPal

Though PayPal payments are horrible for sellers.
AndyRoyd17/01/2020 23:36

I related bank transfer exclusively to the "delivery charges".

No I think it's for the full cost that was agreed for collection, with the addition of postage charges added on, all paid via bank transfer.
Edited by: "jamie15" 17th Jan
jamie1517/01/2020 23:37

No I think it's for the full cost that was agreed for collection, with the …No I think it's for the full cost that was agreed for collection, with the addition of postage charges added on, all paid via bank transfer.

K, I see inference to two separate payments, but not seeing "the two payments were made by bank transfer". All semantics if all payment(s) methodology is bank transfer; was just looking for clarity, and hoping for a more reversable (initial?) payment method.
AndyRoyd17/01/2020 23:44

K, I see inference to two separate payments, but not seeing "the two …K, I see inference to two separate payments, but not seeing "the two payments were made by bank transfer". All semantics if all payment(s) methodology is bank transfer; was just looking for clarity, and hoping for a more reversable (initial?) payment method.

I read it as 1 transfer to cover cost of item + the addition of postage fees to the same transfer. Payment presumably was cash on collection if a collection was previously planned. So when OP couldn't make it they asked for delivery, which seller offered if delivery fees were added on and payment made via bank transfer.
"The seller seems to be descent..."

The transaction seems to have gone downhill, that's for sure.

Have you got the seller's telephone number? Oh, wait, you've bought his 'phone. Um... this is an ethical pickle.

Pity you had not mentioned this earlier as I could have gone to Maidstone tomorrow to meet the seller for you.
jamie1517/01/2020 23:53

I read it as 1 transfer to cover cost of item + the addition of postage …I read it as 1 transfer to cover cost of item + the addition of postage fees to the same transfer. Payment presumably was cash on collection if a collection was previously planned. So when OP couldn't make it they asked for delivery, which seller offered if delivery fees were added on and payment made via bank transfer.

More than plausible. No confirmation from OP cos new member only registered today so may not be familiar with how to post / reply to comments / questions.
AndyRoyd17/01/2020 23:56

More than plausible. No confirmation from OP cos new member only …More than plausible. No confirmation from OP cos new member only registered today so may not be familiar with how to post / reply to comments / questions.

Indeed. The username is very apt.
Nothing you can do I lost about £300 and my bank Barclay did not do anything. Instead they were rude to me
Paying someone by bank transfer takes a lot of trust. Unfortunately it has back fired in this instance. There is nothing that can be done as it is a civil dispute. I doubt the police will record this as a crime.

I have sold stuff off gumtree and people have paid me by bank transfer before I post the item, including paying for the postage, and I always wonder why they would trust me to post the item once I have received the money. I certainly wouldn't do it as a buyer, but as a seller, I am not going to complain.
I'm not condoning identity fraud, but if you believe in karma...someone might put his account number and sort code on a charity direct debit form...
MadeDixonsCry18/01/2020 00:39

I'm not condoning identity fraud, but if you believe in karma...someone …I'm not condoning identity fraud, but if you believe in karma...someone might put his account number and sort code on a charity direct debit form...

Just the 1?
Justsuperman17/01/2020 23:31

Its a lesson learned for me. I just feel bad that the money i sent is not from my own account. it belongs to my autistic brother who have save money for a year so he can buy a phone he likes. It breaks my heart so much..
AndyRoyd17/01/2020 23:33

I purchased an iphone x its a second hand phone from a seller in gumtree. I sent him 300 pounds for the phone and extra 10 for the delivery.
jamie1517/01/2020 23:34

You lost the money. Could try and call your bank but there is not much of …You lost the money. Could try and call your bank but there is not much of a point.Only thing you can do is create a police report online using Action Fraud, include all bank account details.Bank transfer could be worth the risk for smaller value transactions under £50 maybe (if making a good saving from a seller with good feedback), but for something as expensive as a phone it isn't safe.

I called the bank and was advise they cannot retrieve the money. Is there anyway we can check someone else identity by just the account number? i been trying to call him but he isnt picking up?
deleted1781217/01/2020 23:55

"The seller seems to be descent..."The transaction seems to have gone …"The seller seems to be descent..."The transaction seems to have gone downhill, that's for sure.Have you got the seller's telephone number? Oh, wait, you've bought his 'phone. Um... this is an ethical pickle.[Video] Pity you had not mentioned this earlier as I could have gone to Maidstone tomorrow to meet the seller for you.

He is, I have his facebook account and it is a legit one. Its an old account with his pictures on it i even saw his friends from the comment section which i have saved the names so i can ask help from them to trace the guy.
sorry guys ive been trying to reply but all of my responses is not showing it says its under review
Victim.10118/01/2020 01:15

I called the bank and was advise they cannot retrieve the money. Is there …I called the bank and was advise they cannot retrieve the money. Is there anyway we can check someone else identity by just the account number? i been trying to call him but he isnt picking up?

New "confirmation of payee" rules are being introduced this year, which will display the name on a recipient account when you set up a bank payment, but most banks aren't launching this until April (and recipients can opt out). At present, I wouldn't expect you to be able to obtain the recipient's name due to data protection laws.

As the timescale here is only a day, there's still a possibility that it's a case of misunderstanding so I wouldn't give up on trying to make contact by phone (you could try calling from another number, that wouldn't be recognised as yours), but otherwise I'm afraid that I agree with the other comments that your money is likely now lost.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 18th Jan
Victim.10118/01/2020 01:12

Its a lesson learned for me. I just feel bad that the money i sent is not …Its a lesson learned for me. I just feel bad that the money i sent is not from my own account. it belongs to my autistic brother who have save money for a year so he can buy a phone he likes. It breaks my heart so much..

I assume you are going to pay your brother back as its not his fault you aren't aware of the risks of bank transfers to a complete stranger

The facebook account could well be a hacked one too
It sounds like you have his Name, Phone Number, Email Address, Postcode and Bank Details.

May be worth contacting the police as with that amount of info they might do something.
Had similar happen in family. Person sending money said I think this is a scam. Everyone else said I think this is a scam so don't send the money. Guess what. They paid. What! Then tried everything to get money back but failed. Maybe people need to apply for bacs to be enabled with their account and take some kind of online test so they understand what is happening. It's all so sad and upsetting and more people than ever are getting done over is what I heard on BBC money box. People are generally dishonest more than ever it seems. Modern living. Buyer beware... OP. Hope you get money back...
Sadly, this type of scam is now going to increase massively as the banks have been told to refund people for their stupidity

which.co.uk/new…19/
"I am genuine", gumtree, can't wait 28 days for payal (lie), says it all.

I called the bank and was advise they cannot retrieve the money. Is there …I called the bank and was advise they cannot retrieve the money. Is there anyway we can check someone else identity by just the account number? i been trying to call him but he isnt picking up?

data protection laws are very tight so even your bank couldn't check his identity unless you have a crime reference from the police. but even if you did find his home address, are you actually going over there and confront him? not advisable.

you can put reviews on people on gumtree so you could do that to stop him selling to other people on the site.

No way back.
mutley118/01/2020 12:21

data protection laws are very tight so even your bank couldn't check his …data protection laws are very tight so even your bank couldn't check his identity unless you have a crime reference from the police. but even if you did find his home address, are you actually going over there and confront him? not advisable.you can put reviews on people on gumtree so you could do that to stop him selling to other people on the site.

I doubt they used a bank account tied to the postcode. Crime reference number is irrelevant, you won't get details from the bank.
jamie1518/01/2020 13:33

I doubt they used a bank account tied to the postcode. Crime reference …I doubt they used a bank account tied to the postcode. Crime reference number is irrelevant, you won't get details from the bank.

a crime reference will mean that the police will investigate it as a criminal offence. therefore the bank will have to release any information that it has access to the police. the police will not disclose this to the OP but they will use it to act in the investigation.
mutley118/01/2020 13:48

a crime reference will mean that the police will investigate it as a …a crime reference will mean that the police will investigate it as a criminal offence.

Utter nonsense
chocci18/01/2020 13:52

Utter nonsense

i beg to differ. it is the only way that any information will be given out by the bank, to the police. they will not disclose it to anyone else because of the data protection act, which becomes an elephant/irrelevant when it is a criminal offence as the police's power overrides any data protection act.
mutley118/01/2020 13:55

i beg to differ. it is the only way that any information will be given …i beg to differ. it is the only way that any information will be given out by the bank, to the police. they will not disclose it to anyone else because of the data protection act, which becomes an elephant/irrelevant when it is a criminal offence as the police's power overrides any data protection act.

I'm referring to the nonsense that police have to investigate when they give out a crime reference number
Next time pay with pal pay or credit card (as you are protected ) bank transfer or cash /debit card . You lose your money
mutley118/01/2020 13:48

a crime reference will mean that the police will investigate it as a …a crime reference will mean that the police will investigate it as a criminal offence. therefore the bank will have to release any information that it has access to the police. the police will not disclose this to the OP but they will use it to act in the investigation.

Police don't investigate this type of crime. You can report it online and they'll give you a CRN immediately without talking to anybody. The bank doesn't have to release any information and legally can't just because of a CRN. They may provide it to police but since police won't investigate it won't happen.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants