Expired

I work at the hospital and i have a cold, should i go to work?

Found 30th Mar 2013
hi all, just looking for some guidance as im having a bit of a heated discussion with the wife, I think I shouldnt go to work in a hospital full of sick people whilst i have a cold but the wife disagrees, nothing to do with wanting me out the house or anything daft like that as she works on another ward at the same time!

any help or ideas please?
Community Updates
Ask
41 Comments
If you're a paediatric cardiac consultant in Leeds, why not - otherwise don't be silly.
Is it a bad cold? Or a sniffle? You don't want to infect people further! My friend works in our local Hospital and she wasn't allowed to work with a cold and had to wait 48 hours after symptoms cleared before she was allowed back or something... I think! x
Depends what your job is I would think.
If only there was someone on duty at the hospital that you could phone ...
Unless you're in direct contact with immunocompromised people don't be concerned.
are you paid for sick leave?.......if so.what`s the problem!
Original Poster
All valid comments and thank you, looks like I'm staying home!!
Staying home after the majority of comments suggest otherwise?
The sensible thing to do would be to call your manager and ask rather than taking advice from a bunch of randoms on the internet.
It depends entirely on what your job at the hospital is; if you work on either a transplant or chemo unit then you should definitely stay at home. I would speak with your manager and get their advice before taking the lazy way out and just taking a day off work for a cold (speaking as someone who went to work full-time while dialysing four times a day).
Edited by: "roof30" 30th Mar 2013
It's a cold ffs

Get off your butt and go to work
JLMONTYYY

Is it a bad cold? Or a sniffle? You don't want to infect people further! … Is it a bad cold? Or a sniffle? You don't want to infect people further! My friend works in our local Hospital and she wasn't allowed to work with a cold and had to wait 48 hours after symptoms cleared before she was allowed back or something... I think! x

That's much more likely to have been Norovirus than a cold.
roof30

Or any other gastric illness, yup. Certainly not the cold - lolz.
I have aplastic anaemia. If you were on my ward looking after me with a cold it could be potentially life threatening to me as I have no immune system.

Your choice but think about us poor patients !
Original Poster
It's more flu like but I'm a man so probably just a cold, either way I'm staying home, the way I see it if I wouldn't want to go visit my grandparents for fear of passing them it I shouldn't be at work either!
Out of interest, what is your actual role at the hospital?
ceanth

I have aplastic anaemia. If you were on my ward looking after me with a … I have aplastic anaemia. If you were on my ward looking after me with a cold it could be potentially life threatening to me as I have no immune system. Your choice but think about us poor patients !

Pretty much what I posted in comment #5.
Original Poster
I'm a porter so I do get about a bit
roof30

Ha, oh yes, that sounds more like it! Fail on my part there! Never mind!
fredelliot

I'm a porter so I do get about a bit

Pretty sure they could give you something to do down in the morgue, until you're feeling better.
So, you have made that important decision based on a couple of strangers advice on HUKD...... love it.
I like to read the silly posts in misc. ... and this is one of them.
Original Poster
It was actually a DEADLY (possibly) serious question, and yes thanks to a lot of people's input I feel I've made the correct decision!

Scenario.. Your grandma is in hospital an I'm walking around coughing and sneezing into a hankie, your at her bedside and you happen to see me pushing a trolley around with her fresh bed linen, tell me you wouldn't be concerned for her health that even the staff are not fit and healthy? A sick person being provided for a person with a virus or germ themselves??!

I rest my case!!
fredelliot

It was actually a DEADLY (possibly) serious question, and yes thanks to a … It was actually a DEADLY (possibly) serious question, and yes thanks to a lot of people's input I feel I've made the correct decision! Scenario.. Your grandma is in hospital an I'm walking around coughing and sneezing into a hankie, your at her bedside and you happen to see me pushing a trolley around with her fresh bed linen, tell me you wouldn't be concerned for her health that even the staff are not fit and healthy? A sick person being provided for a person with a virus or germ themselves??! I rest my case!!

So given the potentially serious consequences, why would you not seek advice from those qualified to make the decision at the hospital? It looks very much as if you just wanted support for the decision you had already taken but you didn't get it - the majority of posters who expressed an opinion said you should go into work. What case exactly are you resting?
ceres

So given the potentially serious consequences, why would you not seek … So given the potentially serious consequences, why would you not seek advice from those qualified to make the decision at the hospital? It looks very much as if you just wanted support for the decision you had already taken but you didn't get it - the majority of posters who expressed an opinion said you should go into work. What case exactly are you resting?

http://www.characterink.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Troll_940px.jpg
Original Poster
Erm no actually most said don't go to work and I have spoke to my manager and he said "even if you think it's not a serious cold stay away because we can't afford sick people getting worse nor can we afford another ward shutting down"

Here here I say
Original Poster
If I went to work and caused an outbreak which lead to deaths you would change your tune in a heartbeat and be asking "why was he allowed into work when he was feeling unwell"
Denise it and your a fool!!!
Banned
Hospitals are full of people coming and going , are we stopping everyone who has a cold at the door ? NO , what makes you so special ?
Original Poster
Denie^ lol
fredelliot

Denie^ lol

Deny?
Banned
Hospitals are full of people with colds and viruses , probably the most infected places to visit , why does OP think he should stay away ? pmsl
Do they prevent visitors entering the hospital with a cold? You and your manager should be sacked.
fredelliot

If I went to work and caused an outbreak which lead to deaths you would … If I went to work and caused an outbreak which lead to deaths you would change your tune in a heartbeat.......

You're missing the point entirely. I haven't said you should or shouldn't go into work. I've suggested that posting here for opinions on your state of health and whether it makes you fit or unfit for work as a porter in a hospital is 'unwise' (I chose that word carefully).
Banned
imagine the state of the nhs if every lazy git didnt turn up for work cos they had a cold!

you cant denie it
Original Poster
Lazy git ha ha ha brilliant!
Just out of interest what hospital do you work in? If it's kings then don't come and say hi to me lol.

Original Poster
Hull royal

The wife has just got in from her night shift, she looks knackered!! I'm doubly glad I didn't go now.
To be honest u should know your NHS trust policy, I know mine. Give it a read, it will answer your question.
You're a porter lol - all you needed to do was ensure you avoided that hip replacement gig you had scheduled for 11am - but nooooo, you skived off work.

I used to work in a hospital years ago, it was generally accepted that you'd get your butt into work when all you had was a poxy cold. I strongly doubt that's changed.

A hospital simply wouldn't function if everyone applied the same logic as you.
Just stay at home and give someone less lazy and willing to work a job.
The fact that you're on here suggests you're not at deaths door. Surely as a porter you could do most of your job and just avoid the few wards where it would be problematic. A hospital needs its staff to be there to operate fully.
Hope you feel better soon.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions