i5 2500k or ryzen 5 1600

Found 12th JunEdited by:"johnro"
hi there

this is my current pc:

Asus Maximus II Formula
QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, 2666 MHz (8 x 333)
4GB Ram

bought me a 4k tv and i had to (thought so) get me a 4k videocard
Radeon RX 560 Series

now my cpu goes over 80 degrees with some basic web pages and programs running.
is it my system? do i need to do a fresh windows 10 install?

2955519-rweV1.jpg

i have to get a new Mobo+CPU+Ram combo i believe

i found these:

ryzen 5 1600, cooler, aorus ax370,16gb for 215+ pounds (bid is still going)

and this

i5 2500k, cooler, ultra durable 2 mobo, 16gb for 185

i'm mostly browsing and watching some movies, with a few other small apps running in the background.

can't make my mind up on which one to go for
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
the i5 is 6-7 years old so go for the ryzen build as its 13 months old at worst. Also the i5 will be ddr3 which won't work with any newer motherboard so you would be stuck on a dead socket set with no real room to ugprade whilst AMD will support the AM4 platform for another 3 years giving you plenty of future room to ugprade. Also the i5 has probably been run overclocked so don't expect it to last as long as your core2quad.

Also to run 4k it's not just purely the GPU doing the work. The CPU will need to push data to it. As your CPU lacks many of the inbuilt functions of more recent ones it will be working flat out to keep up
Edited by: "emodan" 12th Jun
emodan1 h, 23 m ago

the i5 is 6-7 years old so go for the ryzen build as its 13 months old at …the i5 is 6-7 years old so go for the ryzen build as its 13 months old at worst. Also the i5 will be ddr3 which won't work with any newer motherboard so you would be stuck on a dead socket set with no real room to ugprade whilst AMD will support the AM4 platform for another 3 years giving you plenty of future room to ugprade. Also the i5 has probably been run overclocked so don't expect it to last as long as your core2quad.Also to run 4k it's not just purely the GPU doing the work. The CPU will need to push data to it. As your CPU lacks many of the inbuilt functions of more recent ones it will be working flat out to keep up

agreed

no point buying in to a 6 or so year old platform

ryzen will perform better and give an upgrade path, admittedly with a (potentially) higher initial investment
You don't give you case, previous temperatures or previous GPU so it's hard to judge whether it's the extra heat from the new graphics card, whether you've dislodged a fan connector or similar or whether something's gone funny on the software side of thing.

It's unlikely to need hundreds of quid spent on mass hardware replacement. If performance is otherwise acceptable then at worst it'll be £20 on a new CPU cooler or £40 on a new case.
EndlessWaves23 m ago

You don't give you case, previous temperatures or previous GPU so it's …You don't give you case, previous temperatures or previous GPU so it's hard to judge whether it's the extra heat from the new graphics card, whether you've dislodged a fan connector or similar or whether something's gone funny on the software side of thing.It's unlikely to need hundreds of quid spent on mass hardware replacement. If performance is otherwise acceptable then at worst it'll be £20 on a new CPU cooler or £40 on a new case.

Performance is low and load on CPU is 90+%
All fans are spinning

Mobo is maxed with my current CPU
johnro36 m ago

Performance is low and load on CPU is 90+% All fans are spinningMobo is …Performance is low and load on CPU is 90+% All fans are spinningMobo is maxed with my current CPU

Well, that certainly explains the temperature.

Now we need to work out why. Presumably it was nowhere near that load with your old graphics card?

You could try dropping the resolution back down to 1920x1080 but I doubt it'll make any difference.

Did you uninstall your previous graphics drivers before fitting the new card? They can occasionally cause issues.
Fresh Windows install would certainly be worth a try. After all if you buy a new setup you’ll be doing one anyway.
If you have a spare hard drive, use it rather than your existing drive to save messing with files etc just now as a test.

Though if you can get a full Ryzen CPU, cooler, board and memory for sub £250ish just do it. Simply it will knock spots off what you have.
Done the reinstall and same thing. Close to overloading and 75 degrees on steady browsing

Bought the cpu+mobo+mem+evo bundle for about 500ish

Happy days . Thanks for your help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions