i5 vs i3

Found 25th Jun 2015
Looking to replace my laptop. Don't want to spend too much. I only use the laptop for general browsing, live streams and catch up.
My old laptop was an I5 and i'm currently looking at I3's. Would I notice a difference in speed just using the laptop for general internet browsing?

Or are there other processors I should be looking at? Budget is £350. New only
Community Updates
AskIntel i5Intel i3
15 Comments
We'd need to know the processor number to make a fair comparison. i3 is perfectly fine for browsing.
Original Poster Banned
rev6

We'd need to know the processor number to make a fair comparison. i3 is … We'd need to know the processor number to make a fair comparison. i3 is perfectly fine for browsing.

I3-4005U and 8GB ram. Or for the budget are there better processors? I presumed I3 would be the best?
At the moment im using I5-3210m @2.5ghz
Edited by: "scoobus" 25th Jun 2015
For browsing you'll be OK, from what I understand the main difference between the two is four cores over the i3 two. So for programs optimised for four cores it will be much faster, not much of a worry browsing.
8 GB sounds a bit excessive for RAM for general browsing and a video stream to me.....
But those in the know, will know better
Argoj

For browsing you'll be OK, from what I understand the main difference … For browsing you'll be OK, from what I understand the main difference between the two is four cores over the i3 two. So for programs optimised for four cores it will be much faster, not much of a worry browsing.

That is correct for desktops, not for laptops though.
That i3 you are looking at is one of the slowest about at the moment due to it being a very low wattage one. It would be quite a bit of a downgrade from your current i5, but you probably won't notice much difference with what you are doing. Both processors are actually quite similar, just the i3 runs at a much lower speed. My friend has a Lenovo Z50 with that i3 in it, or the 4010U with a nvidia 840m and it is great for gaming. Was the equivalent of £300 from Amazon.de.
Edited by: "MIDURIX" 25th Jun 2015
That laptop you have now is no more than 3 years old (if that) and the processor should be more than capable of doing all you ask of it. Is there something like damage to the machine stopping you from using what you have now or is it just slower than you'd like it to be? If there's nothing wrong with the laptop then I'd be looking at adding an SSD to keep it flying as what you have now should be good for a few years yet.

hotukdeals.com/dea…551

Very easy upgrade to make, even a newbee to doing it can do so simply with a bit of guidance.
Putting in an ssd or upgrading memory is sometimes as easy as removing one screw on the bottom, sliding off the bottom cover and changing the items out. Not much harder than changing batteries in a remote, but so many people think it is way above them.
don't you have to back your stuff up and load it back on the SSD?
EN1GMA

don't you have to back your stuff up and load it back on the SSD?

Yes but any user should be backing up as a matter of course anyway. An SSD upgrade is a massive performance boost and well worth the effort. Certainly easier making the decision for one than finding a new machine entirely. Given what the OP has as a machine it's probably as good as all i3 machines available now and a lot of lower end i5's and certainly not worth upgrading from.
Astec123

Yes but any user should be backing up as a matter of course anyway. An … Yes but any user should be backing up as a matter of course anyway. An SSD upgrade is a massive performance boost and well worth the effort. Certainly easier making the decision for one than finding a new machine entirely. Given what the OP has as a machine it's probably as good as all i3 machines available now and a lot of lower end i5's and certainly not worth upgrading from.

So whats the best/easiest way to back up my windows laptop so it literally backs up everything. only issue is my Microsoft office was pre loaded so would I need to reload that manually back again?

I don't think changing the ssd is a issue for people. just the rest of the stuff which I find scary X)

The i5 branding denotes chips that have the turbo boost feature. That may be differences between individual models but that's all having the i5 label attached means and there are i5 and i3 models that are identical otherwise.

Turbo boost allows the chip to change it's performance to adapt to workload and heat. How useful it is depends on the cooling system in the laptop.

The 4005U is one revision newer but it's a low power model in comparison to the standard power chip in your current machine. The 3210M is undoubtedly the faster chip, the 4005U might be a little more power efficient but on two entirely different laptops the difference is likely to get lost in the power variation between other components.

From a performance point of view if you want a significant processor performance upgrade on your current laptop you'd need to raise your budget substantially and look at the Q suffix quad core processors like the 4700MQ.

If the laptop is slow for web browsing it's likely to be another component that you may be able to replace on your existing machine such as hard drive or memory.

An i3-4005U will more than suffice for web browsing if you're looking to keep this laptop for the same amount of time as the one you're replacing.

Firefly1

8 GB sounds a bit excessive for RAM for general browsing and a video … 8 GB sounds a bit excessive for RAM for general browsing and a video stream to me.....But those in the know, will know better

I'm currently using over 4GB with just my browser with a few dozen tabs open. In three years time it wouldn't surprise me if it was over 6GB.
EndlessWaves

I'm currently using over 4GB with just my browser with a few dozen tabs … I'm currently using over 4GB with just my browser with a few dozen tabs open. In three years time it wouldn't surprise me if it was over 6GB.

Commit charge is the best way to determine total system memory usage. RAM usage can be misleading. 8GB is a good amount.
Original Poster Banned
Astec123

That laptop you have now is no more than 3 years old (if that) and the … That laptop you have now is no more than 3 years old (if that) and the processor should be more than capable of doing all you ask of it. Is there something like damage to the machine stopping you from using what you have now or is it just slower than you'd like it to be? If there's nothing wrong with the laptop then I'd be looking at adding an SSD to keep it flying as what you have now should be good for a few years yet.http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sandisk-240gb-ssd-plus-sata-6gb-s-2-5-solid-state-drive-60-96-with-delivery-charge-2233551Very easy upgrade to make, even a newbee to doing it can do so simply with a bit of guidance.

Yeah there is some damage. It would cost £150 to repair. Thought I may aswell buy a new one
No, not for browsing. Most browsers now use more memory than CPU usage.

Also, if your i5 is an old chip, the i3 may be better if its a new i3 chip
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions