Groups

i7 3770K- where can I get one for less than 150 pounds?

So basically I'm looking to breathe a temporary spot of life into my now four year old system and I want to 'upgrade' to the i7 3770K from an i5 3450. I have kept a diligent eye on prices; via ebay, gumtree and amazon but none seem to sell for less than 150 at the very least.

Does anyone know of any website, dealer or walk in store where I could acquire one for a lot less? I'd appreciate the help. In case anyone is in any doubt, here's the cpu in question: newegg.com/Pro…501

9 Comments

You already have SSD? because that for me was the best upgrade i did on an ageing machine

You'd probably be better off getting the 3770 off ebay instead, unless you really need to overclock it. Should be cheaper too.

That's a very small upgrade by most standards, are you sure it'll make a noticable difference to whatever you're doing with it?

I would sell your parts and buy a new z97 motherboard around 60ish , 4570 i5 around 90ish

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

That's a very small upgrade by most standards, are you sure it'll make a … That's a very small upgrade by most standards, are you sure it'll make a noticable difference to whatever you're doing with it?

...my principle use is CPU-demanding strategy games like Civ 6 and TW: Warhammer. My rig is efficient, reliable and powerful but the CPU is holding it back and rather than buy a whole new system I wanted to just buff another couple of years out of it- an i7 3770K seemed an apt way to do that. My specs:

i5 3450 (Ivy Bridge obvs)
    G1 Sniper M3 Mobo
    MSI Gtx 970 Gaming
    16 GB DDR3
    2 x 500 GB SSDS (Intel and Samsung 840)
    Corsair H60 CPU cooler

Original Poster

jimhuf

You already have SSD? because that for me was the best upgrade i did on … You already have SSD? because that for me was the best upgrade i did on an ageing machine

Yes, I do. Two of them

Original Poster

CHAOSEN3

You'd probably be better off getting the 3770 off ebay instead, unless … You'd probably be better off getting the 3770 off ebay instead, unless you really need to overclock it. Should be cheaper too.

That's good advice. Can you tell me a bit about the performance difference? Is the 3770K only better for overclocking or is it a much faster processor than the 3770?

Buy cex vouchers at 80% from users on here then buy the cpu from cex for the 2 year warranty

AlexJames102

That's good advice. Can you tell me a bit about the performance … That's good advice. Can you tell me a bit about the performance difference? Is the 3770K only better for overclocking or is it a much faster processor than the 3770?

Strictly speaking, you cannot overclock a non-K processor. So the only difference here is that one processor can be overclocked, one can't.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Help sought - Cheap(est) smartphone with Standard SIM for short period of u…22
      2. Battery drain on iOS 1166
      3. Which Kodi Add-ons?55
      4. Breath of the Wild Replacement Cover?11

See more discussions