Ice cream van - essential?

Posted 3rd Apr
An ice cream van was in the park and selling ice creams when I did my daily exercise (dog walk), surely this cannot be considered an essential business?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
My local ice cream man had been found dead covered in strawberry sauce and crushed nuts.
A police spokesman said “ we think he topped himself “. 😁
HowayTheLads03/04/2020 19:10

Why do you think that is funny? If people are breaking the rules regarding lockdown then they need to be reported, there are serious implications to this. Do you really think that it's a joke?
No, it definitely shouldn't have been there. People aren't supposed to be chilling out in the park right now. You should report it to your local council first thing tomorrow morning.
Van197303/04/2020 19:15

Probably essential to the owners income.How is this different to takeaways …Probably essential to the owners income.How is this different to takeaways operating a delivery service?

Because a takeway delivers to a person's house. An ice cream van in the park encourages people to go out for one and then hang around in a public area. You might not be aware but many councils have actually physically closed and locked the gates of play areas in parks for just this very reason, it's about keeping people safe when there is a virus going around that 3,600 people have died of in the space of just a couple of weeks.
33 Comments
No, it definitely shouldn't have been there. People aren't supposed to be chilling out in the park right now. You should report it to your local council first thing tomorrow morning.
Its not. Last week people were being urged to contact their council so enforcement notices could be issued to stop them and possibly remove their licenses if they didn’t stop.
Haircut_10003/04/2020 19:06

No, it definitely shouldn't have been there. People aren't supposed to be …No, it definitely shouldn't have been there. People aren't supposed to be chilling out in the park right now. You should report it to your local council first thing tomorrow morning.

Not only are they non-essential, they've also likely had their licence suspended,

bbc.co.uk/new…771
Probably essential to the owners income.

How is this different to takeaways operating a delivery service?
HowayTheLads03/04/2020 19:10

Why do you think that is funny? If people are breaking the rules regarding lockdown then they need to be reported, there are serious implications to this. Do you really think that it's a joke?

Probably essential to the owners income.How is this different to takeaways …Probably essential to the owners income.How is this different to takeaways operating a delivery service?

Because a takeway delivers to a person's house. An ice cream van in the park encourages people to go out for one and then hang around in a public area. You might not be aware but many councils have actually physically closed and locked the gates of play areas in parks for just this very reason, it's about keeping people safe when there is a virus going around that 3,600 people have died of in the space of just a couple of weeks.
Haircut_10003/04/2020 19:15

Why do you think that is funny? If people are breaking the rules regarding …Why do you think that is funny? If people are breaking the rules regarding lockdown then they need to be reported, there are serious implications to this. Do you really think that it's a joke?

Sorry just finishing off my 99
Not sure how the scroats near me will get their drugs if the ice cream van stops
Haircut_10003/04/2020 19:06

No, it definitely shouldn't have been there. People aren't supposed to be …No, it definitely shouldn't have been there. People aren't supposed to be chilling out in the park right now. You should report it to your local council first thing tomorrow morning.

Woah! let's not be to hasty here, let me get my oyster with a flake first & then report them.
Edited by: "richp" 3rd Apr
No annoyingly takeaways are still able to operate for collection or delivery really encouraging people to be going out unnecessarily why the hell they are still open baffles me.Im sure dorris can go without her weekly fish and chips in the name of saving humanity
All joking aside though, we need to stop this virus in its tracks & I hope that people will not go outside unless absolutely necessary over the weekend as the weather is going to be nice.

Ice creams are luxury goods. People don't treat them as meals. They also can't be relied upon as ice cream vans are semi random in when they appear. Takeaways can be very important to people who may not be able to prepare a meal (disability, time constraints, broken kitchen utilities).

Lastly takeaways can operate in a way that maintains social distancing and minimizes risk. Ice cream vans are very unlikely to (it's not impossible, but I doubt they'd go to that effort).
richp03/04/2020 19:23

Woah! let's not be to hasty here, let me get my oyster with a flake first …Woah! let's not be to hasty here, let me get my oyster with a flake first & then report them.

Definitely 2 flakes IMO
abigsmurf03/04/2020 19:26

Ice creams are luxury goods. People don't treat them as meals. They also …Ice creams are luxury goods. People don't treat them as meals. They also can't be relied upon as ice cream vans are semi random in when they appear. Takeaways can be very important to people who may not be able to prepare a meal (disability, time constraints, broken kitchen utilities).Lastly takeaways can operate in a way that maintains social distancing and minimizes risk. Ice cream vans are very unlikely to (it's not impossible, but I doubt they'd go to that effort).

I can’t see how a group of drunks in a kebab house after a late night party is social distancing,I very much doubt most chippys care about anything other than there own pockets
abigsmurf03/04/2020 19:12

Not only are they non-essential, they've also likely had their licence …Not only are they non-essential, they've also likely had their licence suspended,https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-52052771

Is this ban nationwide or by local authority? Are hot dog, burger vans also banned?

You may have a point,I wonder what happens when you check out with ice cream at a supermarket? Is this allowed or not under the "essentials" rule.
Edited by: "splender" 3rd Apr
paul.williamsA4v03/04/2020 19:25

No annoyingly takeaways are still able to operate for collection or …No annoyingly takeaways are still able to operate for collection or delivery really encouraging people to be going out unnecessarily why the hell they are still open baffles me.Im sure dorris can go without her weekly fish and chips in the name of saving humanity

They may allow 2 customers in at a time and wait outside for their order. I’ve seen police speaking to moped delivery riders
Edited by: "ChuckTheDuck" 3rd Apr
Hey guys, can I refer you to this - read part 6 - Quote: The government is not saying only people doing “essential” work can go to work. Anyone who cannot work from home can still go to work.

Whether you use his service or not is up to you. He is doing no wrong and when the time comes for govenrment hand outs they will probably hit him with this clause and not pay him.

Be a responsible citizen and keep 2 metres if you do. This is no different from buying your Ice Cream in a supermarket (OK you will say he's handling the goods so you could be ultra cautious and not buy any edible products that touches his actual hands like wafers.)
I scream when I see them during this time
splender03/04/2020 19:39

Is this ban nationwide or by local authority? Are hot dog, burger vans …Is this ban nationwide or by local authority? Are hot dog, burger vans also banned?You may have a point,I wonder what happens when you check out with ice cream at a supermarket? Is this allowed or not under the "essentials" rule.

Licences are done council by council but if any haven't suspended the licences it'll be because of an oversight.

Burger vans are likely exempt because they're non-luxury and you can get a genuine meal from them (late night key workers may need them). Also they tend to be in semi-static locations which makes organizing social distancing easier. That aside, most of them are struggling so much for business that they're closing up anyway.

Supermarkets can sell luxury/non essential goods because people will be buying them along essentials (if not, the shopper can theoretically be fined) . Banning luxury foodstuffs completely would be a nightmare to administrate, harm more struggling companies and contribute to civil unrest.
My local ice cream man had been found dead covered in strawberry sauce and crushed nuts.
A police spokesman said “ we think he topped himself “. 😁
Seems to me that there are many borderline cases, one has to balance between command and reasonable interpretation of the law.

Regarding that famous case of marking on pavement using spray at a bakery at Edgware for 2m social distancing for customers, the Met spokesperson said, ""The officer has been spoken to and all staff on the borough will be reminded about using discretion where appropriate in these exceptional times." (The officer threatened to issue an £80 fine.)
paul.williamsA4v03/04/2020 19:25

No annoyingly takeaways are still able to operate for collection or …No annoyingly takeaways are still able to operate for collection or delivery really encouraging people to be going out unnecessarily why the hell they are still open baffles me.Im sure dorris can go without her weekly fish and chips in the name of saving humanity

All the takeaway services near me (that I know about) are doing delivery only, no collection.
My local ice-cream van seems to have listened to the Government, he used to come round 4 times a day even during hailstorms!! It's a welcome relief not to hear him.
cuzzy03/04/2020 20:02

My local ice cream man had been found dead covered in strawberry sauce and …My local ice cream man had been found dead covered in strawberry sauce and crushed nuts. A police spokesman said “ we think he topped himself “. 😁

Bla flake news
Bully03/04/2020 23:34

[Image]

You not going to share my joke are you.
Isolation....I thought ice and lotion....ice cream...I could murder a Mr Whippy. Oh dear strawberry sauce gone everywhere. Lol.

Its different and he can apply for a grant
Its delivery not a foodtruck
Edited by: "Norseg" 4th Apr

Wow...
louiselouise03/04/2020 20:33

All the takeaway services near me (that I know about) are doing delivery …All the takeaway services near me (that I know about) are doing delivery only, no collection.

I don't really see why anyone is using any kind of takeaway service at the moment, you have no idea of the health of the person/s preparing it or delivering it. Russian roulette in my opinion.
I'll have a Covid-99 please.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions