Ice cube making without ice tray

Posted 12th Aug
Just bought a new fridge freezer and it doesn't have a designated ice cube shelf.

Any lifehacks to make it easier when making ice? First step is probably to buy a new silicon cube tray with a silicon lid to avoid spills or contamination.

How about ice cube storage? Random plastic container with lid?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I buy mine in.
2kg for £1 isn't too bad and it saves all the hassle.
You can use ice cube freezer bags. Just fill with water, seal and place in the the freezer.
30 Comments
We just make ours in the freezer, once frozen transfer them to a plastic food bag and refil so there’s always a good supply
I buy mine in.
2kg for £1 isn't too bad and it saves all the hassle.
OooMatron12/08/2020 12:51

I buy mine in.2kg for £1 isn't too bad and it saves all the hassle.

I also buy mine, mainly because I genuinely can't be bothered with the faff.
theworkingdead12/08/2020 12:53

I also buy mine, mainly because I genuinely can't be bothered with the …I also buy mine, mainly because I genuinely can't be bothered with the faff.

Innit just.
There's no possible way of transferring a tray of water from the tap to the freezer without some spillage.
I buy bags of ice, but always keep some ice cube bags as well for emergencies.
You can use ice cube freezer bags. Just fill with water, seal and place in the the freezer.
I used to buy 2kg bags.
£7 a week and £5 in the winter.
Now I use Aqua filter jugs for water, I now use takeaway containers to make large blocks and bash them into chunks with rolling pin.
OooMatron12/08/2020 12:55

Innit just.There's no possible way of transferring a tray of water from …Innit just.There's no possible way of transferring a tray of water from the tap to the freezer without some spillage.

It's easy to not spill, even more so if the ice cube tray has a lid. When I had the removable shelf i'd just lift the entire shelf out, plop it on the bench and then fill the cube tray, move it over, done.
I use large ice cube trays to make my ice, the bought stuff is so small it melts to quickly.
I find buying ice more hassle, especially during the summer, they do go short. Only buy it when I go park or have something outdoor planned.
use a drinks bottle freeze it then a hammer smash
Uridium12/08/2020 13:18

You can use ice cube freezer bags. Just fill with water, seal and place in …You can use ice cube freezer bags. Just fill with water, seal and place in the the freezer.

Do this..... Takes up less space than a tray, make them when you want, empty into another bag if you want (but no point), they seal themselves so virtually no spillage (maybe a couple drips)
WuTang.12/08/2020 13:35

I use large ice cube trays to make my ice, the bought stuff is so small it …I use large ice cube trays to make my ice, the bought stuff is so small it melts to quickly.

Not in my world.

How big are your ice cubes? They must be huuuuuuuuuuge.
a666andy12/08/2020 17:48

Do this..... Takes up less space than a tray, make them when you want, …Do this..... Takes up less space than a tray, make them when you want, empty into another bag if you want (but no point), they seal themselves so virtually no spillage (maybe a couple drips)

Brilliant idea aren't they. I've been using them for years

You can use ice cube freezer bags. Just fill with water, seal and place in …You can use ice cube freezer bags. Just fill with water, seal and place in the the freezer.

Our freezer is no where near the sink so just ordered some of these to try-never seen them before cheers.
Re-usable ice cubes - less effective at cooling but no dilution

£2.75 for 480 ice cubes from ice cube bags atWaitrose
If you have a chest freezer just empty it and fill it with water, this makes once huge ice cube. Then just chisel a bit of when you need some
these are excellent (wish I'd found them years ago). Cubes just pop out as the bottoms are silicone. No spills at all as the lids are quite tight and easy to stack too. Far cheaper in the long run than buying ice and more eco-friendly too. Consistent large size unlike bagged ice which melts inconsistently due to varying sizes leading to watery drinks (JD & Ice )

amazon.co.uk/dp/…c=1

41655476-UDhZH.jpg
Edited by: "chocci" 13th Aug
Silicone ice cube trays
chocci13/08/2020 15:22

these are excellent (wish I'd found them years ago). Cubes just pop out as …these are excellent (wish I'd found them years ago). Cubes just pop out as the bottoms are silicone. No spills at all as the lids are quite tight and easy to stack too. Far cheaper in the long run than buying ice and more eco-friendly too. Consistent large size unlike bagged ice which melts inconsistently due to varying sizes leading to watery drinks (JD & Ice )https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PZRW473/ref=twister_B08DVDSRB4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1[Image]

Silicon ice cube trays are a recent discovery for my family - wish we had known about them years ago
Helpful56714/08/2020 00:03

Silicon ice cube trays are a recent discovery for my family - wish we had …Silicon ice cube trays are a recent discovery for my family - wish we had known about them years ago

Has your family discovered silicon coated whisks or cooking utensils or even cooking mats/cake trays.
Helpful56714/08/2020 00:03

Silicon ice cube trays are a recent discovery for my family - wish we had …Silicon ice cube trays are a recent discovery for my family - wish we had known about them years ago

They're good but I have noticed the big cube silicone trays leave the ice tasting of plastic once melted which can't be good for you
boiled water. doesn't have to be hot, just fill your whatever from the kettle - no need to turn it on if it's previously been boiled and is still fresh. removes a lot of the cracks and bubbles to give clearer ice.

i'd still say get a couple of silicone or silicone-bottomed ice cube trays - won't waste freezer space, take 'em out/do more as needed and pop finished cubes in a zip-lock baggie. skip poundstore ones though and get something that makes larger cubes (though poundstore do do oven-resistant silicone pop-cake moulds that are perfect size) or whiskey stones - smaller the cube obviously faster it melts.

unless you use ice regularly i'd just buy some for events though - a quid for a kilo+ bag of nice clear large lumps, saves time and faff, negligible outlay.
I can't believe a thread about making ice has so many sensible replies!

I thought it was a joke at first, I have a freezer how do I make ice!?.....you put water in said freezer and wait.

Reminds me of the Simpsons when an expedition to the arctic brings ice to Apu's freezer, he says "if you can think of a better way to get ice let me know!"
Satan_Claws14/08/2020 08:36

Reminds me of the Simpsons when an expedition to the arctic brings ice to …Reminds me of the Simpsons when an expedition to the arctic brings ice to Apu's freezer, he says "if you can think of a better way to get ice let me know!"

I bought the large ice cube silicone mold from ebay, every couple of days or whenever i walk past the freezer or grab anything from it i just take the ice out and put in a bag, fill the mold and repeat. I probably now have a bag of 50+ cubes. One of these cubes easily last for 2 G&T's (maybe im drinking them too fast (lol))
Only slight drawback is the size of them so when i put them in the glass and pour my tonic over it, it slightly reduces in size and then fits perfectly.
Likewise i did this with my smaller ice cube molds and filled a large plastic container with it.
I know ice cubes are cheap to buy but during the extreme summer we have recently had i find by the time i get the ice bags home they have defrosted slightly and when put in the freezer it all sticks together and makes for a messy clump of ice. Also they never last as long as the large cube ones i now produce.
Edited by: "Jay91" 14th Aug
Jay9114/08/2020 14:15

I bought the large ice cube silicone mold from ebay, every couple of days …I bought the large ice cube silicone mold from ebay, every couple of days or whenever i walk past the freezer or grab anything from it i just take the ice out and put in a bag, fill the mold and repeat. I probably now have a bag of 50+ cubes. One of these cubes easily last for 2 G&T's (maybe im drinking them too fast (lol)) Only slight drawback is the size of them so when i put them in the glass and pour my tonic over it, it slightly reduces in size and then fits perfectly.Likewise i did this with my smaller ice cube molds and filled a large plastic container with it. I know ice cubes are cheap to buy but during the extreme summer we have recently had i find by the time i get the ice bags home they have defrosted slightly and when put in the freezer it all sticks together and makes for a messy clump of ice. Also they never last as long as the large cube ones i now produce.

Melt one of your cubes in a glass on its own and see if it tastes of plastic. Mine did so had to throw the mold away. I had this one

41668493-BzRlp.jpg
Edited by: "chocci" 15th Aug
chocci15/08/2020 06:47

Melt one of your cubes in a glass on its own and see if it tastes of …Melt one of your cubes in a glass on its own and see if it tastes of plastic. Mine did so had to throw the mold away. I had this one[Image]

Interesting, yup i have the same one, ill give that a try today, thanks for the heads up
Jay9115/08/2020 10:07

Interesting, yup i have the same one, ill give that a try today, thanks …Interesting, yup i have the same one, ill give that a try today, thanks for the heads up

A shame really as they were great with a double JD but if I let it melt too much, it ruined the drink and smelt awful . Cant be healthy either.
Post a comment
@
    Text