Iceland recycle bottles and get 10p for everyone towards your shopping@Iceland

Posted 4th DecEdited by:"ozkerrizo"
3356059-KRoBd.jpgIceland have started to introduced a bottle recycle scheme in form of a machine in their shops, you get 10p for every plastic bottle you take back. Bottles must have barcode on, no multi pack bottles, or dark bottles like fruit shoots.
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Great idea for the homeless to collect towards food
They trialled this at my local Morrisons. First it was 10p (in equivalent more points), the queues were mental, and the staff were getting sick of having to empty the machine literally every 20 minutes.
It was so popular that they got a second machine, and things were good.
Then, they reduced it to the equivalent of 5p per bottle, some people stopped using them, but they were still popular.

Then.... they decided that all "earnings" would be going to charity. That was in the middle of November. I think I've seen one person use them since, and I'm pretty sure that one has cobwebs on it.

A total, and uttter, farce.
17 Comments
Which location?
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 4th Dec
kirstie280604/12/2019 20:38

Agreed. Or, it would be if the homeless were allowed in these stores. Unfortunately they're usually not allowed in, even if they have money.

However, using the vouchers towards food and giving it to the homeless yourself is an alternative and a nice gesture
kirstie280604/12/2019 20:38

Agree with the sentiment. although the benefit / practicality to the homeless of Iceland's core food products is debateable.
andrewworrall104/12/2019 20:48

Agreed. Or, it would be if the homeless were allowed in these stores. …Agreed. Or, it would be if the homeless were allowed in these stores. Unfortunately they're usually not allowed in, even if they have money. However, using the vouchers towards food and giving it to the homeless yourself is an alternative and a nice gesture

Agree. A few years ago I took over as store manager at o e one the local bargain stores. The previous manager had banned all the homeless, beggars and drug takers. I told them they could come in one at a time and any problems would be out for good out of around 12 only one was out the rest were ok so don’t think they should all be tarred with the same brush. They need to spend that begging money somewhere
They trialled this at my local Morrisons. First it was 10p (in equivalent more points), the queues were mental, and the staff were getting sick of having to empty the machine literally every 20 minutes.
It was so popular that they got a second machine, and things were good.
Then, they reduced it to the equivalent of 5p per bottle, some people stopped using them, but they were still popular.

Then.... they decided that all "earnings" would be going to charity. That was in the middle of November. I think I've seen one person use them since, and I'm pretty sure that one has cobwebs on it.

A total, and uttter, farce.
That sounds like a good return for an empty plastic bottle? I'd have expected 1p for one, not 10p. I buy cheapo 17p cola - so to get 10p back = winner!

Am I being thick here? I take it it's only bottles bought FROM Iceland themselves in the first place - hence the need for a barcode? You can't just take ANY bottles back, can you?
Phsycronix05/12/2019 10:36

That sounds like a good return for an empty plastic bottle? I'd have …That sounds like a good return for an empty plastic bottle? I'd have expected 1p for one, not 10p. I buy cheapo 17p cola - so to get 10p back = winner!Am I being thick here? I take it it's only bottles bought FROM Iceland themselves in the first place - hence the need for a barcode? You can't just take ANY bottles back, can you?

How would they know I didn't buy my Pepsi Max from Iceland?
andrewworrall105/12/2019 10:45

How would they know I didn't buy my Pepsi Max from Iceland?

Well, I guess from the barcode? It wouldn't appear on their computerised stocklist perhaps?
Phsycronix05/12/2019 10:48

Well, I guess from the barcode? It wouldn't appear on their computerised …Well, I guess from the barcode? It wouldn't appear on their computerised stocklist perhaps?

Pepsi Max bottle barcodes are all the same
andrewworrall105/12/2019 10:48

Pepsi Max bottle barcodes are all the same

This is what I don't get. I know you're right. I just can't believe you can walk in there with a sack full of bottles from ANYWHERE and get pounds worth of vouchers to use in their shop. There must be some sort of catch, mustn't there?
Phsycronix05/12/2019 10:51

This is what I don't get. I know you're right. I just can't believe you …This is what I don't get. I know you're right. I just can't believe you can walk in there with a sack full of bottles from ANYWHERE and get pounds worth of vouchers to use in their shop. There must be some sort of catch, mustn't there?

I'm not sure but I will use it if it comes to my local store. I wish they would do can recycling as well.

The only catch I could think of is a minimum spend or restrictions on what the vouchers can be spent on but this is not mentioned unless I'm mistaken?
andrewworrall105/12/2019 10:53

I'm not sure but I will use it if it comes to my local store. I wish they …I'm not sure but I will use it if it comes to my local store. I wish they would do can recycling as well.The only catch I could think of is a minimum spend or restrictions on what the vouchers can be spent on but this is not mentioned unless I'm mistaken?

I would think you're right about the 'spend' restriction. It's certainly interesting. I'm visiting an Iceland later today so I'll keep an eye out for any info. I'm not complaining at all but 10p for an old bottle sounded like a lot of money to me! Hehe.

Geez! Listen at me - the old penny-pincher!
The first line on the display screen has me wondering - do I need to walk into the store backwards?
39264393-GsmrB.jpg
Phsycronix05/12/2019 11:13

The first line on the display screen has me wondering - do I need to walk …The first line on the display screen has me wondering - do I need to walk into the store backwards? [Image]

OMG I can't -
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 5th Dec
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants