EXPIRED

Ickle laptop request

Hi,

I'm looking for a laptop with the following specs:

[* Dual core processor (doesn't matter if it's an Intel or AMD)
[* 1GB RAM+
[* Wifi
[* Built-in webcam and microphone
[* Screen of size 13.3" or less
[* DVD-rewriter
[* Bluetooth v2
[* Modem

Ideally I'd also like the following:

[* TV-out
[* Drivers for Windows XP available

Graphics card and HD are relatively low priority. The closest I've seen to this spec is the Dell XPS1330, at £722 inc VAT and delivery. Does anyone know of other machines that match these specs?

Any advice will be appreciated.

14 Comments

Original Poster

Thanks very much flashbsd for the link. Shame it seems like they only have one laptop of size 13" or less at the moment. I shall keep checking there periodically, presumably the models available change fairly frequently.

Does anyone have any other suggestions/recommendations of machines that meet the criteria?

What would pretty much fit the bill is one of the Sony Vaio SZ series, 13.3" carbon fibre shell etc. etc. they ain't cheap though...... ]http//va…ies

Original Poster

Ouch! Very nice machines, but not cheap - thanks for the pointer though.

I think that at the moment, the cheapest option available to me is the 13 inch Macbook with an academic discount, which comes to £713.23 (just beating the Dell if I exclude eventual quidco cashback) - if I forego the DVD writer and just have a CD writer with DVD player, it comes to £601.60...

sorry can't help, but can I be nosy and ask why you want such a small screen?

Maybe you could check out some computer fairs to find what your looking for. They happen all over near me and are quite often so maybe there are some near you

shaahs

Ouch! Very nice machines, but not cheap - thanks for the pointer though.I … Ouch! Very nice machines, but not cheap - thanks for the pointer though.I think that at the moment, the cheapest option available to me is the 13 inch Macbook with an academic discount, which comes to £713.23 (just beating the Dell if I exclude eventual quidco cashback) - if I forego the DVD writer and just have a CD writer with DVD player, it comes to £601.60...

Ahh Macbooks, good choice they are fantastic bits of kit. They've just had a spec and OS upgrade too so now's a good time to buy. Leopard is an awsome OS and don't forget you can run Windows on them these days too. :thumbsup:

If you havn't had a proper go on one I suggest you do, you'll be sold straight away the build quality, ease of use etc. etc. are second to none (and put the likes of Dell to shame). My dad's got a Macbook Pro, and messing around on that has convinced me that a Mac will be my next machine, not an easy admission for a long term Windows and Linux user :thumbsup: (although the awfulness of Vista does take the sting out of it :giggle: ).

whats an ']Ickle'?

Original Poster

pawsntails

sorry can't help, but can I be nosy and ask why you want such a small … sorry can't help, but can I be nosy and ask why you want such a small screen?

Portability, pure and simple. I'd really want this laptop to be easy to carry round, whilst still being simple to use, as this is primarily for a relative with little computer experience who is looking for an easy-to-use computer. I'd initially toyed around with the idea of buying a Nokia 770/N800/N810, but I know it's just a bit too fiddly for my relative; same goes for other UMPCs.

Original Poster

MikeT

£666.62 now inc bluetooth for a XPS 1330 … £666.62 now inc bluetooth for a XPS 1330 http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114769

Oooh, very nice. It's now a very close call between the Dell and the Macbook. I'm going to have to talk it through with the recipient of the laptop and see what they think. MikeT, do you happen to know whether installing XP on it would be an issue (I have a spare legitimate copy lying around somewhere - hooray for academia!)?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions & contributions.

Well apart from xp as this has vista may I recomend the HP tx1250. I have just bought one using the code 'HPSPLDIS' for 10%off and free postage which comes out at £584.10. You can get quidco too(which I forgot).

It could do with more ram but runs ok and the touch screen takes a bit of getting used to. The media center bit on it is useful and the fingerprint sign on seems to impress people. The 160gb HD is so much better than the 60gb in my old lappy. You also get 2 batteries a slimline one that doesnt stick out at all(lasts 90min) and a big 9 cell one.You also get 12 months warrenty on the batteries which is very rare.(so I will send one back after about 9 months and then the other about 2 months later to get new ones).

If you live near a major town or city they tend to send an engineer out rather than return to base which will be handy if it goes wrong.

Well it was the best spec I could find for that kind of money and am very happy with it. Well it would be better with xp pro, but I know I must leave that behind and move on.:-(

how about this: pcworld.co.uk/mar…386

well, it doesn't have a built-in webcam but for a laptop with C2D T7100/2GB ram/120G HDD/12" screen, £550 really is the best price I can see. Try haggle with the sales person and you may be able to get a free webcam.

shaahs

Oooh, very nice. It's now a very close call between the Dell and the … Oooh, very nice. It's now a very close call between the Dell and the Macbook. I'm going to have to talk it through with the recipient of the laptop and see what they think. MikeT, do you happen to know whether installing XP on it would be an issue (I have a spare legitimate copy lying around somewhere - hooray for academia!)?Thanks to everyone for their suggestions & contributions.

On price maybe, there's no comparrision for anything else :thumbsup:. My dad recently got himself a MacBook Pro, he loves it. He used to call me up at least once a week with Computer issues on his old Windows Machine, then I switched him to Ubuntu and the calls got slightly fewer, but now on the Mac the only thing he's called me for is to remind him of his wireless network key. Even mum can use it but she does now moan that he's on it too much :giggle:. He's got Leopard (the latest Version of OSX) which is lightening fast, it's on before you know it an off virually as soon as you push the button, can't fault it particularly compared to the mess that is Vista.

Also worth rembembering that you can run Windows on Mac and this is fully supported by Apple, most PC companies will invalidate the warranty if you change the OS.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    2. Which Camera?!!!22
    3. Kodi - £ Sports Recommendations1014
    4. Sky or Virgin?1418

See more discussions