iCloud

Posted 15th Nov
Never used it before but thinking of paying for the 200GB iCloud plan to back up my iPhone.

What I'd like to know is, since there will be spare capacity from that 200GB, can I put documents and other stuff in there and be able to view all such docs?

As I understand it, when I back up the phone to iCloud, I cannot see individual photos, etc and that its an all or nothing backup - is that right?

Lastly, do they have annual pricing, don't really want more monthly direct debits?

Anything else I should know for a potential first-time iCloud user?

thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Your phone will save the high quality version on iCloud and use a placeholder on your phone! So once you basically scroll to your 2016 pictures it will probably download from your iCloud!
You can use your 200gb as you please, images, documents, back up your Mac, etc
There are two separate things. iCloud photos and iCloud backup.

If you turn on photos then all your photos are stored in the cloud, can be viewed on all your devices and at icloud.com

The back up just backs up your phones contents and settings and can only be viewed by restoring it to an iDevice.
thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

Is it possible to backup to iCloud and keep the existing photos on the phone, in its full resolution?
Don't like the idea of 'fetching' from the Cloud every time.

thanks
ScoobyDoobyDoo15/11/2019 15:13

thanks for the feedback, appreciated.Is it possible to backup to iCloud …thanks for the feedback, appreciated.Is it possible to backup to iCloud and keep the existing photos on the phone, in its full resolution?Don't like the idea of 'fetching' from the Cloud every time.thanks

Yeah that’s what I do, I’ve got about 100gb of family photos on my phone as well as iCloud and prime, the mrs only has a 64gb iPhone so she saves all hers in the cloud and keeps Niger or recent photos in her phone.
iCloud is great. Got over 48k photos. And just upgraded from my iPhone 8 Plus to a 11 pro max. Within couple hours everything was there as it is on my iPhone 8
ScoobyDoobyDoo15/11/2019 15:13

thanks for the feedback, appreciated.Is it possible to backup to iCloud …thanks for the feedback, appreciated.Is it possible to backup to iCloud and keep the existing photos on the phone, in its full resolution?Don't like the idea of 'fetching' from the Cloud every time.thanks

Yes in the settings for photos there is an option for keep original photos on the phone. As long as you have enough space on your phone then you are fine.
You might be ok trying the backup on the free service as the backup size isn’t actually that big apart from photos as the apps aren’t backed up directly just a link to the app on the App Store and the data is very small
Ka11ran15/11/2019 16:16

iCloud is great. Got over 48k photos. And just upgraded from my iPhone 8 …iCloud is great. Got over 48k photos. And just upgraded from my iPhone 8 Plus to a 11 pro max. Within couple hours everything was there as it is on my iPhone 8

That’s a lot of selfies yo
Thanks all, will give iCloud a try, sounds good

is there a way to pay annually rather than monthly?
You know you get 5Gb free, right? Go with that, see how you get on, then upgrade if you need more storage. I’ve had iPhones and iCloud singe the 3Gs and never needed more than the free allowance.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants