I'd GearBest legitimate?

Found 27th Jul 2017
Hi, new here. I've seen GearBest on a few deals now, never having heard of them before, I did a little Google search and got very mixed reviews. Has anyone used them? Are they legit? It's a lot of money to put up for something if they're not kosher.

Many thanks for any advice!

Lauren

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments

had a couple of phones off them with no problems
how much money are you spending ?
use paypal

used them once phone lasted 6 months,never again

I've always received everything I've ordered

They're legit in the sense that it's not a scam, but they do not operate within the EU/US customer service norms. E.g. if you don't buy their insurance, they will refuse to refund you (or they will offer a tiny amount) if your item is damaged or missing when it gets to you. The only way to get any kind of service is by complaining on social media or on here. So yes I believe they will honestly try to send you the product you paid for, but if anything goes wrong don't expect the kind of resolution you would get from Amazon or even eBay.

Gearbest is a good reseller of Chinese goods. Items are generally shipped out on time although the postage does vary. Most items have arrived within 10 days but some can take a little longer. Anyone who says they bought a phone that lasted 6 months shouldn't be blaming gearbest. If you buy a phone from a **** brand like elephone or ulephone expect problems. If it's from a reputable brand like xiaomi you will be fine. Always use PayPal just in case.

Ordered some bits and ended up with charges for £27 & order was only about £19

laurensmith36

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Hi, new here. I've seen GearBest on a few deals … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09Hi, new here. I've seen GearBest on a few deals now, never having heard of them before, I did a little Google search and got very mixed reviews. Has anyone used them? Are they legit? It's a lot of money to put up for something if they're not kosher.Many thanks for any advice!Lauren\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

Great company, perfectly legit. The issue is no different to 50 years ago when you bought stuff from Hong Kong on holiday, it is costly to return and getting service is difficult.
Therefore buy with a view on calculated personal economics and experience. The rule of thumb is from the 50%+ savings you self-insured yourself for the bad. Usually if you are astute with what is likely to go wrong and avoid then you could save near 100% of the cummulative discount. On the otherhand if you are careless buyer and treat your stuff roughly you could lose up to 100% of your savings and more.

Never had a problem - always got what I ordered, probably 8 or so orders now. Standard delivery took 20-24 days.

I've used them a lot but I'd never use them for anything expensive. Aliexpress is much better for phone purchases. Quite a few instances of people receiving empty phone boxes from GB and really having to fight for a refund.

laurensmith36

...Has anyone used them?

Similar question thread last month: http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/what-your-experiences-with-gearbest-2714104

Like buying abroad from anywhere it's a case of buyer beware, a lot of the complaints are people assuming they'll work the same as a UK store and then getting stung by the differences.

Make sure you read the terms and conditions and calculate what you'll pay for importing. If you're happy to pay that final cost and happy if something goes wrong then go for it.

Gearbest seem to be pretty good generally, although you do apparently need to pay the shipping insurance or they won't sort out anything that could be a delivery issue like boxes arriving empty.

they are legit, they are based in china so deliveries take time. If you order something expensive expect to pay import vat. if you choose the standard delivery 2-5 weeks then you probably wont pay extra if ~£100 but you might. I have ordered a tablet which took over 2 months for delivery (a real pain as they stated in stock but it wasnt) a controller which was never delivered but a second sent which arrived a week later and a few cheap items which all arrived in 2-3 weeks.

Original Poster

Great, thanks all for your advice. I was looking at the laptops on there, but think I might play it safe and wait for a UK deal. Thanks all for commenting.

Muir27th Jul

They're legit in the sense that it's not a scam, but they do not operate …They're legit in the sense that it's not a scam, but they do not operate within the EU/US customer service norms. E.g. if you don't buy their insurance, they will refuse to refund you (or they will offer a tiny amount) if your item is damaged or missing when it gets to you. The only way to get any kind of service is by complaining on social media or on here. So yes I believe they will honestly try to send you the product you paid for, but if anything goes wrong don't expect the kind of resolution you would get from Amazon or even eBay.

this sums them up perfectly IMO

they're not deliberately out to scam you, but if you dont play by their rules and anything goes wrong you'll get little to no protection

my motto is dont spend what you cant afford to lose
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants