Ide to sata converter

Found 20th Aug 2017
I'm looking to get a converter to plug an ide drive to a sata port on my motherboard. Does that effectively make the drive transfer at sata speeds or is the limiting bottleneck within the drive itself?
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Will be ide speeds still
The drive interface will be the limiting factor. ATA 133 I think is the highest speed.
Ok thanks for your help.
No advantage... when did IDE finally disappear from motherboards, mine still has 1 IDE for compatibility - currently running a DVD-RW, one of the old Liteons that are good for disk quality testing
matth99991 h, 59 m ago

No advantage... when did IDE finally disappear from motherboards, mine …No advantage... when did IDE finally disappear from motherboards, mine still has 1 IDE for compatibility - currently running a DVD-RW, one of the old Liteons that are good for disk quality testing

775-era, wasn't it? Iirc, my P45 was the last board I ever saw to have one, and I think that was enabled only with an extra controller chip.

Anyway, OP, I'd suggest a PCI-E IDE controller card rather than a PATA to SATA adapter. It'll almost certainly be faster, more reliable, and more likely to work properly than an adapter.
Mine's a p43 board, 1 ide 6 sata. I do have a ide converter card which I've had a while and worked a treat in xp. I've stuck some extra ram in and upgraded to 64 bit win 7. It doesn't seem to like the controller card as the drivers aren't really compatible. It might be easier just to get a cheap used drive off eBay.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions