Expired

Ideal present for my mother?

Found 16th Sep 2017
I have no clue what to get her. She doesn't react much to anything I get her. This is the first year I've been working for, and all I have got for her is an Eiffel Tower notebook, which is the general idea of what I have normally got her (her and my stepdad got engaged there).

She likes to do housework a lot and we recently moved and she's been buying lots of furniture and frames etc. She rarely wears jewellery, and I have never seen her wear anything I have bought for her before (which, admittedly, was probably not more than £20). I bought her a mug (among other things, which she didn't like) for Mother's Day which she liked but she has a lot of mugs and our cupboard is full.

She does like shopping for clothes, but her sense of style is hard to get right (and is expensive- Superdry, so if I got something she didn't like it would be costly or have to be returned).

I'm tempted to just buy her a voucher as I know it'll make the entire situation much easier, but I don't know (I like to buy physical gifts for people).

Max budget is probably £50-£100. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Treat her to a little bit of lunch and take her shopping. Give her a budget. She'll probably appreciate you taking some time out just to spend with her.
miikeyblue9 m ago

Treat her to a little bit of lunch and take her shopping. Give her a …Treat her to a little bit of lunch and take her shopping. Give her a budget. She'll probably appreciate you taking some time out just to spend with her.

I suppose I could do that only problem is neither of us really have any time as I'm a full time college student/part-time cleaner and she works full-time at a nursery, so that eliminates all weekdays. Weekends vary.

And as stupid as this sounds, I feel awkward in her company. I don't feel like I need to explain it, but she is narcissistic and I'm the "scapegoat". I would end up asking one of her friends to take her out for a meal and giving them the money for it.
No need to explain. Families are weird, mine included!
FLOWERS
My first thought is that your budget seems way too high if you are a full time student, I'm always happy if my two get me a nominal gift for my birthday ( £10-£20 mark ) . It sounds like your mum is a hard lady to please, so I would be tempted to go with the voucher, I understand what you mean about preferring a physical gift but in this case it might save you aggravation . Failing that is there something she wears that you could buy something similar eg gloves . Also unless your mum is a very unusual lady I'd be surprised if she really enjoyed doing housework, it tends to be something we just have to do, so could you make her some vouchers promising to do some of the household tasks eg ironing etc.
What about a steam cleaner? If she doesn't have one already?
tinkerbellian9 m ago

My first thought is that your budget seems way too high if you are a full …My first thought is that your budget seems way too high if you are a full time student, I'm always happy if my two get me a nominal gift for my birthday ( £10-£20 mark ) . It sounds like your mum is a hard lady to please, so I would be tempted to go with the voucher, I understand what you mean about preferring a physical gift but in this case it might save you aggravation . Failing that is there something she wears that you could buy something similar eg gloves . Also unless your mum is a very unusual lady I'd be surprised if she really enjoyed doing housework, it tends to be something we just have to do, so could you make her some vouchers promising to do some of the household tasks eg ironing etc.

Oh I've volunteered so many times. All she lets me do is washing up and cleaning the table. She won't let me iron because she says I'll ruin the clothes, and she won't let me hoover because she says Ill ruin the floor (its new laminate).

I don't know if she likes it as such, she just seems to do it all the time. She complains about having a lot to do but never lets anyone help her. I swear she has OCD with cleaning or something because our house is absolutely spotless.

I could buy her new shoes, providing she doesn't buy the ones she wants before I am able to (I suspect my stepdad will be, as she will tell him what she wants but not me).

I think I will probably go with a superdry or boots voucher for her if it does prove to be difficult.

About the budget being too high, I earn around £270-£300 a month so it's quite a lot and it's better than me spending it. I always pay her keep money and my phone bill and other essentials and the rest left is mine so it's still a bit left.
THIS-SITE-SUCKS20 m ago

FLOWERS

Definitely will be getting those for her, but I'd probably have to ask my grandmother to get them and I'd pay her back unless I were able to take the day off to go out to town to get her some (work is always straight after college and ends lateish)
Silly question but could you not ask your step dad if she's been dropping any hints lately as to what she might like?
At the end of the day, any mum should be happy with anything that their child gifts them. I know I am!
nraja5 m ago

We have one already
chuckiedoll10 m ago

Silly question but could you not ask your step dad if she's been dropping …Silly question but could you not ask your step dad if she's been dropping any hints lately as to what she might like?At the end of the day, any mum should be happy with anything that their child gifts them. I know I am!

Might consider that. Thankyou!

Unfortunately my mum is one of those hard-to-please people
Sounds like me. When I get a present, i dont show much emotion either. Lol. As i am hard to please and never like anything given to me. I have to pretend to like it and that is difficult

What about flowers? That is the one thing I do like and don't have to pretend so hard, although I really upset my husband one time when I complained they were the wrong sort of flowers.
The best present I ever got was from my sisters a couple of years ago for my 50th. My husband had died suddenly a few months previously (three years ago today actually) and they knew there would no big present and celebration. They told me to keep the weekend free and on the Friday night they sent me a postcode to put on my sat nav and said we are on our way, meet us there. I got there a bit before them and my heart sank because it was a fancy hotel renowned for its spa treatments. That is so not me. I steeled myself to put a brave face on it and pretend to enjoy it. Fortunately my sisters know me better than that. The next day we went tobogganing and then on dodgem cars. Followed that up with one of those virtual reality rollercoasters and a movie. Next day we went bowling and then to an American diner. In the afternoon we did one of those escape rooms. I loved it. None of those things in themselves were particularly expensive but they were mostly things I would never have done myself. Not sure your mum would like that sort of thing but sometimes a present is about creating memories rather than material possessions.
Primark voucher, even £20 would get her a few items.
How about an experience day, like swimming with sharks (oops, that one's for mother in laws)
Bloom and wild are an online flower delivery company - their flowers are kind of flat packed and fit through the letterbox incase the recipient is out. I got my mum some as part of her birthday present and she loved the novelty of it. Maybe have a look at those? There's always discount codes knocking about too
Does she read magazines? Another idea could be a magazine subscription for the year of a magazine she likes? Maybe something like "Ideal Home" if she likes homeware and renovating her house?
mutley111 h, 57 m ago

Sounds like me. When I get a present, i dont show much emotion either. …Sounds like me. When I get a present, i dont show much emotion either. Lol. As i am hard to please and never like anything given to me. I have to pretend to like it and that is difficult What about flowers? That is the one thing I do like and don't have to pretend so hard, although I really upset my husband one time when I complained they were the wrong sort of flowers.

she sounds like me too and I don't like flowers either! I think a voucher is the best bet in this scenario - I generally dislike anyone buying me presents but never mind the odd voucher!
joesmum7 h, 9 m ago

she sounds like me too and I don't like flowers either! I think a voucher …she sounds like me too and I don't like flowers either! I think a voucher is the best bet in this scenario - I generally dislike anyone buying me presents but never mind the odd voucher!

how can you not like flowers???? there must be flowers that you like surely?! I love roses so I always ask for roses if I am asked. I don't like pot plants though so I would be very disappointed if someone gave me flower in a pot
nraja20 h, 30 m ago

You must be a guy.
How about a box of Marrigold gloves.
Edited by: "dereklogan7" 17th Sep 2017
dereklogan71 h, 24 m ago

You must be a guy.

Haha I'm not! I just thought that as her mum likes to clean and as they have new laminates she might like a steam cleaner lol my mum was always borrowing mine so I got her one
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants