Expired

Ideal Printer For Occasional Use - Printing / Scanning?

Found 14th Mar 2010
Currently, I've got a Canon MP510, nightmare, ink dries out and I cant even scan a document to save on my pc, basically I've got to replace the cartridge to use the printer.

I'm looking for a cheap printer that doesn't cost much in replacing ink cartridges and a printer I can use to scan a document when the ink is low/empty.

Any suggestions welcome, not looking to spend much, I use my printer possibly once a month.

Thanks in advance.

10 Comments

I got a brother. model is dcp 135 i think. scanner seems canny and print costs with compatibles are very very cheap. i got the machine for about 35 quid but dunno current price

Just about to post the same. I got one off here for about £35. Inks from ]http//sh…id=
cost me about £8 to replace all 4 colours. I use it as a second printer/copier/scanner and it does the job no problem

I second Brother. I have an MFC-235 that cost £45. Full set of 4 cartridges is around £5

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, just wondering how the printer operates when one of the cartridges are low.

For example, say if I wanted to print in black and white but one of the colour cartridges are out of ink, will it let me print in black and white or scan a document to save on my computer, currently my Canon MP510 is useless when either of the 4 cartridges is empty.

Thanks in advance.

Mine only seems to print if all 4 cartridges have ink in, even for black and white. Don't know if there is a way round it.

Banned

Hp ink doesnt seem to dry out, mine isnt used for sometimes 6 months, and still works fine
and can print B&W when the colour is empty

Original Poster

peodude;8103422

Mine only seems to print if all 4 cartridges have ink in, even for black … Mine only seems to print if all 4 cartridges have ink in, even for black and white. Don't know if there is a way round it.

Exact problem with my Canon, can't use it unless all ink cartridges have ink in them which is why I'm looking for a new printer.
jubbyme;8103465

Hp ink doesnt seem to dry out, mine isnt used for sometimes 6 months, and … Hp ink doesnt seem to dry out, mine isnt used for sometimes 6 months, and still works fineand can print B&W when the colour is empty

May I ask what printer you have and what is the average price of replacing the ink cartridges, I do buy my ink off eBay, not original Canon cartridges which may be why they dry out.

Cartridges for the MP510 are only 57p each on shop.ink.co.uk/sho…id=

Although the not scanning without ink does seem a little silly. Maybe keep the printer for the cheap ink and buy a separate standalone scanner?

Banned

ninj4z;8103572

Exact problem with my Canon, can't use it unless all ink cartridges have … Exact problem with my Canon, can't use it unless all ink cartridges have ink in them which is why I'm looking for a new printer.May I ask what printer you have and what is the average price of replacing the ink cartridges, I do buy my ink off eBay, not original Canon cartridges which may be why they dry out.

HP Deskjet F4280 , cheapo all in one, always use genuine ink, my experience of other ink is that intead of pigment ink, its dye based stuff, that dries out and makes a mess

Original Poster

peodude;8103614

Cartridges for the MP510 are only 57p each on … Cartridges for the MP510 are only 57p each on http://shop.ink.co.uk/shop/subcategory/catid/D-Canon/subcatid/Canon+PIXMA+MP510/site/1/lng/en_EN?shopid=01f7eb81ac1f8b6a52b1934d84601137&visitid=&refid=Although the not scanning without ink does seem a little silly. Maybe keep the printer for the cheap ink and buy a separate standalone scanner?

Great idea, silly me didn't think of that, so now I'm hunting for a good standalone scanner.

Bought a full set of 4 inks today for about £6.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604837
    2. Add one, leave one game54415471
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769626
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52522889

See more discussions