ideal Vogue C40 gen2 vs Worcester Bosch 38cdi

Found 25th Jun
I got a quote for a new combi boiler and I have been recommended by the gas Engineer:

Ideal Vogue C40 gen2 -10 years warranty
or
Worcester Bosch Classic 38cdi -7 years warranty

The Worcester Bosch is £400 more expensive.

Which one would you go for? Any experience with any of them?

Thank you,
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
I got the ideal C32 two years ago and it hasn't had a problem. I'd go for the one with the longer warranty.
Just reading this heatingforce.co.uk/blo…ct/

They quote that you might be able to get an additional 3 years warranty on the Worcester Bosch if you have it installed by a Worcester accredited installer.
Edited by: "kester76" 25th Jun
Ideal is stainless steel (better), Worcester is aluminium (cheaper to manufacture, not as robust).

The £400 extra is paying for their advertising budget, you're not getting a better boiler.
Steer away from Worcester Bosch, they're no where near as good as they once where, the only thing they're good at is advertising.

Have you had a look at Intergas boilers? only 4 moving parts so less to go wrong, no diverter valve, no diverter valve motor, no auto bleed valve and no secondary small plate heat exchanger (all these parts are the most common to go wrong) the internals are made from brass and copper rather than rubber and plastic found in Bosch these days. Also come with a 10 year warranty.
paulj4817 m ago

Steer away from Worcester Bosch, they're no where near as good as they …Steer away from Worcester Bosch, they're no where near as good as they once where, the only thing they're good at is advertising.Have you had a look at Intergas boilers? only 4 moving parts so less to go wrong, no diverter valve, no diverter valve motor, no auto bleed valve and no secondary small plate heat exchanger (all these parts are the most common to go wrong) the internals are made from brass and copper rather than rubber and plastic found in Bosch these days. Also come with a 10 year warranty.

I have had a look but i can't see any model with hot water flow rateover 13l//m.

Is there any model from them with flow rate around 16l/min?

Thank you.
Edited by: "daniq" 26th Jun
daniq1 h, 15 m ago

I have had a look but i can't see any model with hot water flow rateover …I have had a look but i can't see any model with hot water flow rateover 13l//m.Is there any model from them with flow rate around 16l/min?Thank you.

If you need high flow rates, I would ignore the huge combis, and just do it properly with an unvented cylinder.
I only have a cupboard 750x750x1900mm where to put it. The roof in the loft space is no more than 4ft high.

I like the idea of having water on demand wirhout having to store it.

Also wouldn't an unvented cylinder with boiler be much more expensive?

I have been quoted £2300 for the Vogue C42 including filter, flue an smart thermostat.
daniq2 h, 38 m ago

I have had a look but i can't see any model with hot water flow rateover …I have had a look but i can't see any model with hot water flow rateover 13l//m.Is there any model from them with flow rate around 16l/min?Thank you.

Have you tested that you have at least 16 l/m on your cold supply now near the boiler position?

The Intergas Eco RF36 quotes 18 l/m at 25 degree temp. rise and 13 l/m at 35 degree rise. Do you have a big house with lots of radiators and is maximum flow essential? What you'll find is the bigger combi's is the economy wont be as good for smaller loads as the gas valve wont be able to modulate down as much as a smaller combi therefore you'll get lots of 'cycling'.

Did your heating engineer explain any of the above?
I get over 20l/min of cold water near the boiler

It is a 3bed house with a shower room and a bathroom.

All my radiators together have in total 22,000BTU.

The Vogue 2 c40 has:
  • BTU Output: 109,200Btu
  • Up to 7:1 Modulation

Do you think this boiler would give me a high flow rate for hot water with good efficiency on the heating side?
daniq23 m ago

I get over 20l/min of cold water near the boilerIt is a 3bed house with a …I get over 20l/min of cold water near the boilerIt is a 3bed house with a shower room and a bathroom.All my radiators together have in total 22,000BTU.The Vogue 2 c40 has:BTU Output: 109,200BtuUp to 7:1 ModulationDo you think this boiler would give me a high flow rate for hot water with good efficiency on the heating side?

I think your over spec'ing the boiler for the CH to satisfy your hot water expectations. E.G the 40kw Ideal boiler can only modulate down to the lowest of 19600btu. Saying you have 22,000 of rads you'd need most of them fully on otherwise the boiler is going to cycle all the time in CH mode, probably not a problem in the depth of winter but other times of the year you will have issues. See the specs on page 6 here idealboilers.com/upl…pdf

Did your engineer do a heat loss calculation for the required boiler or are you just going of water demand?

I think you need to either step back on the boiler size ( and lower water flow expectations) or go for an unvented cylinder although this will increase the cost quite a bit.
If it were me, I'd just hold off 6 months until the Intergas Xtreme is released.
Edited by: "themorgatron" 26th Jun
themorgatron2 h, 42 m ago

The Vogue 40 CH output is 32kW, so will modulate down to 4.6kW.The …The Vogue 40 CH output is 32kW, so will modulate down to 4.6kW.The Worcester ratio is 4:1 at 30kW CH output, so will only go to 7.5kW.(22,000 BTu is 6.4kW)If it were me, I'd just hold off 6 months until the Intergas Xtreme is released.

I don't think I can wait 6 months. My gravity fed boiler with 15mm pipes makes very difficult to have a shower.

Where did you see the minimum CH output for the Vogue 40 4.6kW? In the spec sheet says 19600BTU (5.7KW)

Hopefully I am wrong and modulate down to 4.6kw.
daniq15 m ago

I don't think I can wait 6 months. My gravity fed boiler with 15mm pipes …I don't think I can wait 6 months. My gravity fed boiler with 15mm pipes makes very difficult to have a shower.Where did you see the minimum CH output for the Vogue 40 4.6kW? In the spec sheet says 19600BTU (5.7KW)Hopefully I am wrong and modulate down to 4.6kw.

My figures were rubbish, 5.7kW is correct!
daniq16 m ago

I don't think I can wait 6 months. My gravity fed boiler with 15mm pipes …I don't think I can wait 6 months. My gravity fed boiler with 15mm pipes makes very difficult to have a shower.

So you have a hot water tank now? Is so why don’t you just get a shower pump fitted?.
paulj4810 m ago

So you have a hot water tank now? Is so why don’t you just get a shower p …So you have a hot water tank now? Is so why don’t you just get a shower pump fitted?.

My hot water tank is too small, If I get a bath, at the end i get cold water. The boiler is around 15 years old (a valliant).

I am refurbishing the whole house and I would like to get the boiler sorted before I skim ceiling downstairs and close floors.
Do you guys think that having my radiators BTU matching the minimum central heating output for this boiler could cause issues in the future?
daniq7 h, 6 m ago

I get over 20l/min of cold water near the boilerIt is a 3bed house with a …I get over 20l/min of cold water near the boilerIt is a 3bed house with a shower room and a bathroom.All my radiators together have in total 22,000BTU.The Vogue 2 c40 has:BTU Output: 109,200BtuUp to 7:1 ModulationDo you think this boiler would give me a high flow rate for hot water with good efficiency on the heating side?

I was wrong! My flow rate after changing all the plumbing in the house is 14l/min.

Usually we have showers at 40C.

So.. what's the flow rate should we get on a boiler to convert all the water from the mains to 40C?

Something like 15.5tl/min at 35C?
daniq4 h, 14 m ago

Do you guys think that having my radiators BTU matching the minimum …Do you guys think that having my radiators BTU matching the minimum central heating output for this boiler could cause issues in the future?

Most defiantly, unless you have a very draughty uninsulated house then what do you think will happen when the rooms start getting to the set temperature and the TRV’s start slowing down the flow to each radiator

The bolier won’t be able to modulate the gas valve low enough and you’ll get endless cycling, this will be inefficient for your gas bills and cause extra wear and tear reducing the life of the bolier.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants