Ideas for a Christmas Quiz?

Found 19th Nov 2012
Help! I've 'volunteered' to compile the Christmas Quiz for our school this year. It's a 10-ish page booklet with lots of different types of questions, some Christmas-related, some not, and has always been a pretty high-key affair, raising several hundred pounds for the school.

The ideas is that rather than questions that people can Google the answers to it's things to work out, so not 'when was the Battle of Hastings' but rather cryptic clues, anagrams etc

Any ideas for topics? So far I've got
20 cryptic questions about toys and games
20 Ditloids (like 8LOAS - 8 legs on a spider)
a wordsearch with 20 holiday destinations, but you have to find the words yourself and then list the ones you find
20 Christmas songs that you have to guess from the initials (JB=Jingle Bells etc)
20 Link words (guess the missing link - catch-phrase-book etc)

and now I'm losing the will to live.

I also need to work out what prizes to offer...
Community Updates
MiscQuiz
19 Comments
Ditloids are great! Always gets your brain going. How about a logo quiz? Just edit some logos so bits are missing. Not entirely Christmas themed, but it's an idea!
KingBenneth

Ditloids are great! Always gets your brain going. How about a logo quiz? … Ditloids are great! Always gets your brain going. How about a logo quiz? Just edit some logos so bits are missing. Not entirely Christmas themed, but it's an idea!

Excellent idea... I had an app a little while ago that was a logo quiz. The novelty was short lived, but something like that would be ideal - I'll take a look, thanks!

whatsThePoint

so you need 10 pages and your stuck after doing 2

Not quite... I need around 10 pages, and so far, as per my original post, I have 5. And I'm not stuck as such, just looking for better ideas.
At a previous place of work, there used to be an unofficial christmas magazine. It was created by staff contributions but not in the more normal fashion.

A real gossip rag

There were all sorts of 'suggestions' that those in the know would joke about.

All completely unofficial. It was like trying to get hold of some forbidden currency. But so funny
WoolyM

At a previous place of work, there used to be an unofficial christmas … At a previous place of work, there used to be an unofficial christmas magazine. It was created by staff contributions but not in the more normal fashion. A real gossip rag :pThere were all sorts of 'suggestions' that those in the know would joke about. All completely unofficial. It was like trying to get hold of some forbidden currency. But so funny

That sounds like fun. Wouldn't work where I work - all too boring!

I did find a page when googling 'Christmas Quiz Ideas' that said a good thing to do in a quiz is to find out the answers to rumours that have been unsolved through the year, by slipping them in as questions. So you end up with something like...

1. When was the Battle of Hastings?
2. What is the capital of Portugal?
3. Who broke the fax machine in accounts last week?
4. How many yards in a mile?
5. Is Jeremy from marketing gay?
6. What's the square root of 64?

Could be quite good if you had that sort of workplace!
This was used recently in a quiz where I work. Football teams rather than Christmasy. Fill in the football team to complete the story :

The sun shone BRIGHTON the day we set sail for the ____________ in a ship with a ______ riddled with holes.
We sailed down the river which _______ to the sea. We waved to the fair maiden leaning against the __________.
The _______ was made up of Scots, Irish and others of the ________ race.
The exception was the cabin boy named _________________ whose job was to _________ the boilers.
He was illiterate, but won our _________ with his ___________ efforts to improve his _________.
He was sent to ___________ by the villains on board, who had brought their _________ of weapons.
They were a rowdy lot and, when drunk, they did in fact __________ furniture.
When the leader failed to do his job properly, they shaved his
______ which meant that he had to walk around with a _______ .The voyage made my
_________ as she had not been on holiday _______ too long. The ______did her _______
lot of good. We landed _______in the day at the _______ of the island. Our transport
problems started when the ______broke down as we travelled deep into the heart of the
_______ .
We landed ________ in the day on the ___________ of the island, below where the locals ______ their dead & the ______ run freely.
We met a group of _______ dressed in _______ green
and wearing_______ on their boots. Their leader a Dr ________ greeted us with a
friendly_______ . They fetched a replacement part for our vehicle and said it would
just________.
After a days journey we caught some black fish in a ___________ and tried to get milk from a herd of cows, but they objected to having their _______________ (sorry about this one!)
At last we came to our destination, the home of the Hawaiian monarch, the ________________.
She greeted us with a friendly _________, but was obviously upset, as her _______________________had been smashed when the __________ fell down.
While her ____________ was being built she had to live in a sumptuous _______.
When we found the treasure we put the ________ the ship, determined to put it straight in the ________________ when we got home.
When we got back home we found there had been a ______________ as someone had not put the _______________ the door.
That night we ate some ____________ cake and some ____________ buns for tea, also some __________ which made us feel ill.
tried to get milk from a herd of cows, but they objected to having their _______________

Huddersfield?
Brilliant - thanks!! I don't suppose you have the answers that you'd be able to PM to me would you?!! Football isn't my strong point
panddda

Brilliant - thanks!! I don't suppose you have the answers that you'd be … Brilliant - thanks!! I don't suppose you have the answers that you'd be able to PM to me would you?!! Football isn't my strong point

No problem. Answers sent.
daniellndn

No problem. Answers sent.

Thanks again - that'll be a Godsend
I have quite a good one that I bought last year,please pm me your email address and I can forward it to you. It's quite a big one but you could always pick out the bits that are suitable for you
I have just had a quick browse and it may be too difficult for kiddies but its there if you would like to look at it.
takethatfan1978

I have just had a quick browse and it may be too difficult for kiddies … I have just had a quick browse and it may be too difficult for kiddies but its there if you would like to look at it.

Great, thank you! I'll PM you my email now. It's not for kids anyway (although there's usually a kids colouring in at the back or something like that) so that sounds great.
Mark2111

http://www.kensquiz.co.uk/documents/ChristmasPeopleQ.pdfhttp://www.kensquiz.co.uk/documents/PuddingfacesQ.pdfhttp://www.kensquiz.co.uk/documents/CSLQ.pdfhttp://www.kensquiz.co.uk/documents/LOSSQ.pdfhttp://www.kensquiz.co.uk/documents/christmas%20film%20pictures.pdfhttp://www.kensquiz.co.uk/documents/SECRETSANTA.pdf

Ahh...those are ace as well! I'll have to ask at school if we can get it printed in full colour as that would be ideal. I'd thought about doing faces but hadn't thought to stick Xmas puddings in front of them!! Thank you for posting those
name that city
name that celebrity / sports personality
name that tune

some simple maths/mental arithmetic quiz
mutley1

name that cityname that celebrity / sports personalityname that tunesome … name that cityname that celebrity / sports personalityname that tunesome simple maths/mental arithmetic quiz

Cheers! They did celebrity anagrams last year which wasn't hugely popular - the faces round suggested above by Mark2111 would work well if I can get it in colour. How would name that city work? Just clues about places? The difficulty is that most clues I could give would likely be easy to answer if you Googled them. Same with maths questions - people would just use a calculator!
panddda

Cheers! They did celebrity anagrams last year which wasn't hugely popular … Cheers! They did celebrity anagrams last year which wasn't hugely popular - the faces round suggested above by Mark2111 would work well if I can get it in colour. How would name that city work? Just clues about places? The difficulty is that most clues I could give would likely be easy to answer if you Googled them. Same with maths questions - people would just use a calculator!

the name that city is you show a photo of the city and they have to guess the name of the city. simple one which you should not use, but just to demonstrate what i mean is the photo of paris with the eiffel tower.

maths quiz would not rely on calculator. i'll try to find / think of one to demonstrate.
mutley1

maths puzzle … maths puzzle examplehttp://www.coolmath4kids.com/math_puzzles/n4-numbers4.html

Ah! Yes, that could work too - thank you! I might take a look in to that too. Got my work cut out now with all this lot oO
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants