Expired

Ideas for a gift for nurses/doctors after treatment?

Found 18th Sep 2013
I would really appreciate any suggestions for what is appropriate and would be appreciated and enjoyed by the staff at the hospital where my OH is having treatment.
He has been a patient since January this year with mainly outpatient treatments and a couple of stays as an inpatient. He has received the most iconic care from everyone concerned and has now finished treatment at chemotherapy and finishes his treatment at radiotherapy next week.
It's a major hospital and many departments have been involved in his care and treatment, and he will have many more visits to come. However, with a lot of luck we are hopefully finished with the two departments above and wanted to show our appreciation to the staff involved for such superb care.
He thought a large box or tin of chocolates for each department but surely we can come up with something better than that! I will of course write a thank you card but any and all suggestions would be very welcome!
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
Write to local paper, mention ward, don't forget back of house, porters, domestics, ward clerks etc, without them the Hospital can't function. Doctors and nursing staff are a small part of a huge team. Public acknowledgement is better than any box of chocolates
Do a marathon and raise money for them
Hi, As a nurse the best advice I can give is a nice card and a box of chocolates. As personally we should not accept any gifts but chocolates can be seen as acceptable as long as there left on the desk for everyone to share. Flowers would be nice but again in wards/hospitals these are banned due to the infection risk imposed.

xxxx
I too am a nurse and agree with Becky above. Small fruit baskets/cakes make a change to biscuits and chocolates Sometimes a simple thank you for all you have done is nice as well as a lot of people do not say thank you! x
After my Dad had finished his chemo/radiotherapy and surgery he gave thankyou cards and 'posh' chocolates. He had his care in 2 different hospitals. He gave his consultant, who he still sees every 12 months, a bottle of whisky. He basically saved his life!
Not sure on your location or budget but how about a fruit arrangement.
Edible arrangements use to be the major one but seems their UK franchises are all gone in the UK.

There is fruitfuloccasions.co.uk/aca…tml or perhaps a more local company providing similar that would add a nice touch with a mix of fruit and chocolate

http://www.fruitfuloccasions.co.uk/acatalog/FruitfulOccasionsBanquet2-t.jpg

http://www.fruitfuloccasions.co.uk/acatalog/SimplySweetBouquet-t.jpg

Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 18th Sep 2013
Thank you all for the suggestions. As I said, we haven't finished with the hospital yet but hopefully with the two departments mentioned. Maybe a very large box or tin of nice chocs would be ok, I'm not sure about fruit baskets as it's very warm and some of the staff have several days off between shifts. I was also wondering if home baking would be acceptable or if it's against policy or 'elf and safety?!
galareho

After my Dad had finished his chemo/radiotherapy and surgery he gave … After my Dad had finished his chemo/radiotherapy and surgery he gave thankyou cards and 'posh' chocolates. He had his care in 2 different hospitals. He gave his consultant, who he still sees every 12 months, a bottle of whisky. He basically saved his life!

Yes, I had wondered about the consultant (we are in the same situation as your dad with the life saving thing :))....is alcohol ok? I wasn't sure about protocol and rules about accepting gifts. 'Posh' chocs are a good idea!
mrwhitelabel

Not sure on your location or budget but how about a fruit arrangement. … Not sure on your location or budget but how about a fruit arrangement. Edible arrangements use to be the major one but seems their UK franchises are all gone in the UK. There is http://www.fruitfuloccasions.co.uk/acatalog/Fruit-Flower-Basket-Arrangement-For-Thank-You-Gift.html or perhaps a more local company providing similar that would add a nice touch with a mix of fruit and chocolate

Thank you for the effort in this one! Although I wasn't sure about fruit this seems an idea to think about, something a little different.
LetoKynes

Do a marathon and raise money for them

Not sure about the marathon but fundraising is a good idea!
Lou Scotland

Yes, I had wondered about the consultant (we are in the same situation as … Yes, I had wondered about the consultant (we are in the same situation as your dad with the life saving thing :))....is alcohol ok? I wasn't sure about protocol and rules about accepting gifts. 'Posh' chocs are a good idea!

My Dad was very lucky to have all his treatment/surgery done privately so when he sees his consultant it is in a private hospital. I think their 'rules' on gifts may be slightly different ie: alcohol? Could be worth asking though?
galareho

My Dad was very lucky to have all his treatment/surgery done privately so … My Dad was very lucky to have all his treatment/surgery done privately so when he sees his consultant it is in a private hospital. I think their 'rules' on gifts may be slightly different ie: alcohol? Could be worth asking though?

Yes, this is a major NHS teaching hospital and cancer centre. I may ask the consultant's secretary what the rules are. I'm so glad that your dad is doing well, the whole cancer thing is such a long journey (it's only now that I understand why they call it that).
Lou Scotland

Yes, this is a major NHS teaching hospital and cancer centre. I may ask … Yes, this is a major NHS teaching hospital and cancer centre. I may ask the consultant's secretary what the rules are. I'm so glad that your dad is doing well, the whole cancer thing is such a long journey (it's only now that I understand why they call it that).

It is and extremely stressful too. When he was diagnosed 3 years ago they told him they couldn't operate and he only had 2 years left but the treatment worked brilliantly. He had surgery and has been cancer free & in remission for 2 years this month! We still think he's a walking miracle! You never stop worrying though.
Hope your OH does well too.
galareho

It is and extremely stressful too. When he was diagnosed 3 years ago they … It is and extremely stressful too. When he was diagnosed 3 years ago they told him they couldn't operate and he only had 2 years left but the treatment worked brilliantly. He had surgery and has been cancer free & in remission for 2 years this month! We still think he's a walking miracle! You never stop worrying though.Hope your OH does well too.

Thank you!
as a doctor, what's actually most useful for us is a card that says how awesome we are that will look good in our portfolio when applying for new posts.

we also like chocolate and whiskey
Edited by: "medoman" 18th Sep 2013
medoman

as a doctor, what's actually most useful for us is a card that says how … as a doctor, what's actually most useful for us is a card that says how awesome we are that will look good in the our portfolio when applying for new posts.we also like chocolate and whiskey

and nurses!
medoman

as a doctor, what's actually most useful for us is a card that says how … as a doctor, what's actually most useful for us is a card that says how awesome we are that will look good in the our portfolio when applying for new posts.we also like chocolate and whiskey

Haha xxx
As a former nursing auxiliary and frequent patient, at this time of year, the nurses get lots of chocolates and Sister used to lock them away so they could be brought out at Xmas or raffled. Nurses tend to get sick of chocolates after a while so I always buy them bags of sweets that are individually wrapped for infection purposes - foxs mints, murray mints, werther's originals. A nice selection to suit all tastes.

Another suggestion is a small amount of money towards their Xmas night out. One of our consultants used to give the nurses a share of the money for looking after private patients and it went into a social fund for night's out.

Other patients used to bring in a hamper of goodies like tea/coffee/biscuits as we had to pay for all that into a kitty. Or make up a hamper for them to raffle at Xmas to raise funds for the ward.
medoman

as a doctor, what's actually most useful for us is a card that says how … as a doctor, what's actually most useful for us is a card that says how awesome we are that will look good in our portfolio when applying for new posts.we also like chocolate and whiskey

This reminds me of looking after a patient who had had a hip replacement. The one time he showered, I had to squash in there with him and scrub his feet and bottom and it was not an enjoyable experience. As thank you gifts, the females got coffee and the male nurses and doctors got whisky!! How fair is that?! I should have got a medal oO
fern37

As a former nursing auxiliary and frequent patient, at this time of year, … As a former nursing auxiliary and frequent patient, at this time of year, the nurses get lots of chocolates and Sister used to lock them away so they could be brought out at Xmas or raffled. Nurses tend to get sick of chocolates after a while so I always buy them bags of sweets that are individually wrapped for infection purposes - foxs mints, murray mints, werther's originals. A nice selection to suit all tastes. Another suggestion is a small amount of money towards their Xmas night out. One of our consultants used to give the nurses a share of the money for looking after private patients and it went into a social fund for night's out.Other patients used to bring in a hamper of goodies like tea/coffee/biscuits as we had to pay for all that into a kitty. Or make up a hamper for them to raffle at Xmas to raise funds for the ward.

Thank you, some excellent ideas!
fern37

This reminds me of looking after a patient who had had a hip replacement. … This reminds me of looking after a patient who had had a hip replacement. The one time he showered, I had to squash in there with him and scrub his feet and bottom and it was not an enjoyable experience. As thank you gifts, the females got coffee and the male nurses and doctors got whisky!! How fair is that?! I should have got a medal oO

Brilliant! I'm assuming that you are female....:p
Lou Scotland

Brilliant! I'm assuming that you are female....:p

Yep and I'm still traumatised!! Mind you, showering young men was just as bad when you work on an orthopaedic ward!! I once had to bedbath 6 young men in a morning when I was 20, on a surgical ward, and being so shy....it was a nightmare. Amazing how some of them couldn't wash their own bits.
fern37

Yep and I'm still traumatised!! Mind you, showering young men was just as … Yep and I'm still traumatised!! Mind you, showering young men was just as bad when you work on an orthopaedic ward!! I once had to bedbath 6 young men in a morning when I was 20, on a surgical ward, and being so shy....it was a nightmare. Amazing how some of them couldn't wash their own bits.

Heehee! When my friend was doing her nursing training (a loooong time ago!) she was only about 18 or 19 and was asked to give a bedbath to an elderly gentleman who was almost 90. As she did so he had a...umm....shall we say 'physical reaction'?! Her matron told her to ignore it and if it persisted she should use colder water! I was just amazed that his bodily functions still functioned at all at that age!
Lou Scotland

Heehee! When my friend was doing her nursing training (a loooong time … Heehee! When my friend was doing her nursing training (a loooong time ago!) she was only about 18 or 19 and was asked to give a bedbath to an elderly gentleman who was almost 90. As she did so he had a...umm....shall we say 'physical reaction'?! Her matron told her to ignore it and if it persisted she should use colder water! I was just amazed that his bodily functions still functioned at all at that age!

OMG!! We had that once. A colleague took an elderly man for a bath and he had a physical reaction but told her what he wanted to do to her with it!!! She ran from the bathroom in a state!! X)
fern37

OMG!! We had that once. A colleague took an elderly man for a bath and he … OMG!! We had that once. A colleague took an elderly man for a bath and he had a physical reaction but told her what he wanted to do to her with it!!! She ran from the bathroom in a state!! X)

I'm still laughing......
Lou Scotland

I'm still laughing......

He was in his 90s!!!
fern37

He was in his 90s!!!

My other half just woke up to go to the loo. As he passed me he gave me the strangest look, obviously wondering why this mad woman is sitting at the computer at 3am and is laughing....:p
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants