Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Identify this bug

Posted 4th AugEdited by:"mutley1"
I found this bug climbing on the bedroom door this morning! It is about 2mm in length and 1mm wide.

Anyone know what this bug is?

Also I seem to be getting bites that stings and feels very hot. Like a stinging nettle feeling or a wasp sting. Can you get this from a smaller insect bite than a wasp or a bee?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I know that bug.

He goes by the name of Bob

Bob the bug.
That's Paul McCartney.
66 Comments
41580505-MohUL.jpg
underside of it

41580505-Q1VBZ.jpg
I know that bug.

He goes by the name of Bob

Bob the bug.
Mexican Staring Bug of Southern Sri Lanka
LGbayb04/08/2020 16:57

Mexican Staring Bug of Southern Sri Lanka

how did it get all the way over here from sri lanka??
That's Paul McCartney.
I used Google lens & it threw this up :

Bruchus is a genus of beetles in the leaf beetle family, Chrysomelidae. They are distributed mainly in the Palearctic, especially in Europe. Several occur in other parts of the world, such as North America, Africa, and Australia, as introduced species. Several species are notorious agricultural pests.
PaulandPam04/08/2020 17:09

Does this help …Does this help https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/any-idea-what-this-bug-is-3491652

no that bug is huge. this one is tiny as it is only 2mm in length. the photo has been magnified so you can see it in detail.

it looks like it has wings??
Edited by: "mutley1" 4th Aug
Vampireous biteacous
No idea what that insect is but I can tell that's it's bugging you.
Carpet beetle, get the flamethrower out
MutatusNutius
Uglius Gittus
looks like carpet beetle.
Burn it
Black carpet beetle. Chances are you a being bitten by something else though
agree with the others, it looks like a black carpet beetle, and lots of beetles have wings, including them. You just dont see them flying around a lot. But they do, the little buggers.
MichyM04/08/2020 20:17

Black carpet beetle. Chances are you a being bitten by something else …Black carpet beetle. Chances are you a being bitten by something else though

yeah, when i googled carpet beetles, it says they don't bite but you may get a rash from them.
mutley104/08/2020 20:56

yeah, when i googled carpet beetles, it says they don't bite but you may …yeah, when i googled carpet beetles, it says they don't bite but you may get a rash from them.

You get a rash from being near it? Or does it need to bite you?
Bed bugs, clean your house.
I hope you tickled his belly when you turned him over. They love that.
fearona05/08/2020 08:56

Bed bugs, clean your house.

Here’s loads of info /links for you @mutley1 save you googling or having to make another discussion

Bed bugs are insects from the genus Cimex that feed on human blood, usually at night. Their bites can result in a number of health impacts including skin rashes, psychological effects, and allergic symptoms. Bed bug bites may lead to skin changes ranging from invisible to small areas of redness to prominent blisters.

How you can treat bedbug bites Bedbug bites usually clear up on their own in a week or so.

Things you can do include:

• putting something cool, like a clean, damp cloth, on the affected area to help with the itching and any swelling
  • keeping the affected area clean
  • not scratching the bites to avoid getting an infection
You can ask a pharmacist about:
  • using a mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone cream to ease bedbug bites (children under 10 and pregnant women should get advice from a doctor before using hydrocortisone cream)
  • antihistamines – these may help if the bites are very itchy and you're unable to sleep

• contact your local council or pest control service – it's unlikely you'll be able to get rid of bedbugs yourself because they can be resistant to some insecticides
  • wash affected bedding and clothing – use a hot wash (60C) or tumble dry on a hot setting for at least 30 minutes
  • put affected clothing and bedding in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer (-16C) for 4 days (alternative to hot washing)
  • clean and vacuum regularly – bedbugs are found in both clean and dirty places, but regular cleaning will help you spot them early

Source NHS

nhs.uk/con…gs/

Step by step guide how to get rid of Bedbugs

healthline.com/hea…ugs
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 5th Aug
myusernamehasgone23405/08/2020 09:05

Here’s loads of info /links for you @mutley1 save you googling or having t …Here’s loads of info /links for you @mutley1 save you googling or having to make another discussionBed bugs are insects from the genus Cimex that feed on human blood, usually at night. Their bites can result in a number of health impacts including skin rashes, psychological effects, and allergic symptoms. Bed bug bites may lead to skin changes ranging from invisible to small areas of redness to prominent blisters.How you can treat bedbug bites Bedbug bites usually clear up on their own in a week or so.Things you can do include:putting something cool, like a clean, damp cloth, on the affected area to help with the itching and any swellingkeeping the affected area cleannot scratching the bites to avoid getting an infectionYou can ask a pharmacist about:using a mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone cream to ease bedbug bites (children under 10 and pregnant women should get advice from a doctor before using hydrocortisone cream)antihistamines – these may help if the bites are very itchy and you're unable to sleepcontact your local council or pest control service – it's unlikely you'll be able to get rid of bedbugs yourself because they can be resistant to some insecticideswash affected bedding and clothing – use a hot wash (60C) or tumble dry on a hot setting for at least 30 minutesput affected clothing and bedding in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer (-16C) for 4 days (alternative to hot washing)clean and vacuum regularly – bedbugs are found in both clean and dirty places, but regular cleaning will help you spot them earlySource NHShttps://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bedbugs/Step by step guide how to get rid of Bedbugs https://www.healthline.com/health/healthy-home-guide/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bugs

that is not a bed bug as it has wings. bed bugs don't have wings!
mutley105/08/2020 11:29

that is not a bed bug as it has wings. bed bugs don't have wings! …that is not a bed bug as it has wings. bed bugs don't have wings!

Maybe they've evolved!

that is not a bed bug as it has wings. bed bugs don't have wings! …that is not a bed bug as it has wings. bed bugs don't have wings!

@fearona suggested it could be.

I’m not an entomologist.

I was simply trying to be helpful by finding as much info and links I could for you.
myusernamehasgone23405/08/2020 12:16

@fearona suggested it could be.I’m not an entomologist. I was simply t …@fearona suggested it could be.I’m not an entomologist. I was simply trying to be helpful by finding as much info and links I could for you.

my husband has sent a photo to the entomology for identification as apparently they offer this service, but we haven't heard anything back yet and probably won't do for a while. but from the responses, i think the most likely suspect will be the carpet beetle as that does look like a photo of the black carpet beetle, but the body shape doesn't look like a beetle but a fly.

it is also tiny so it may be a baby beetle. yikes
mutley105/08/2020 12:23

my husband has sent a photo to the entomology for identification as …my husband has sent a photo to the entomology for identification as apparently they offer this service, but we haven't heard anything back yet and probably won't do for a while. but from the responses, i think the most likely suspect will be the carpet beetle as that does look like a photo of the black carpet beetle, but the body shape doesn't look like a beetle but a fly.it is also tiny so it may be a baby beetle. yikes

Do you have the link? Might be helpful for others.

I believe carpet beetles can be a real problem

Carpet beetles, as their name implies, sometimes infest carpets. Similar to clothes moths, the pests also feed on many other items composed of wool, fur, felt, silk, feathers, skins, and leather. Such materials contain keratin, a fibrous animal protein which the larvae are able to digest. Cotton and synthetic fabrics such as polyester and rayon are rarely attacked unless blended with wool, or heavily soiled with food stains or body oils. Infestations of carpet beetles can develop undetected, causing harm to vulnerable items. ”

Some intensive cleaning may be required

CARPET BEETLE REMOVAL

rid of carpet beetles centers around cleaning. You’ll need to remove the eggs, larvae and adult beetles with intensive effort.

Vacuuming. As a first step, vacuum areas where you’ve seen adults or larvae such as carpets, rugs, furniture and curtains.Steam cleaning. Your next step involves going over the same areas you vacuumed with a steam cleaner. The heat and moisture in this step removes remaining beetles and eggs.Laundering pillows and clothing. Use hot water and detergent to wash clothes, pillows, towels and linens. If you aren’t comfortable keeping infested clothing or it’s too damaged to wear, dispose of it in plastic bags and place in a sealed garbage container.Wiping or spraying surfaces with vinegar. A mixture of white or apple cider vinegar and water can be applied to shelves, drawers, hangers, window sills and cupboards to remove any dirt or food residue.Applying boric acid. Sprinkling this mild insecticide on carpets, rugs and furniture will kill any remaining beetles. Leave the boric acid dust untouched for two hours, then vacuum the residue and dispose of your vacuum bag.Using an indoor insecticide targeting carpet beetles. These sprays, available from local retailers, can be used around baseboards, under sinks, or in crevices where carpet beetles may hide. They aren’t recommended for use on carpeting, furniture or clothing.Calling a professional exterminator. Carpet beetle removal can be difficult to do on your own. They are persistent and tough household pests, and do-it-yourself treatments aren’t always effective on carpet beetle eggs. CARPET BEETLE PREVENTIONWhen carpet beetles have been removed from your home, steps to prevent another infestation echo the removal process. Getting rid of carpet beetle food sources, vacuuming often, and occasional use of boric acid or indoor insecticides will keep carpet beetles from returning. Since stored clothing or fabrics are targeted by carpet beetles, consider adding cedar or moth balls to your storage boxes or bags.

Prevention extends to the exterior of your home.

• Apply an outdoor insecticide for carpet beetles around the perimeter of your house. Spray the foundation of your home and the soil two to three feet out from the house. Use the insecticide on any potential points of entry such as windows, doorways, vents, or utility pipes.
  • Remove and destroy any bird or insect nests from around your house. Carpet beetles will lay eggs in nests and then can migrate into your home.
  • Repair your screens, since carpet beetles small size makes any hole a potential entryway.
CARPET BEETLE DETERRENTSCleaning remains your number one deterrent to keeping carpet beetles out of your house. Trash removal, regular vacuuming, and frequent laundering of clothing, linens and pillows will make your home less inviting to these pests.

You can also add barriers to block carpet beetles with a few additional steps:

• Use plastic containers or bags to store linens or clothing.
  • Carpet beetles don’t like sunlight, so opening drawers and closets to natural light will deter them.
  • Avoid natural fibers in rugs, carpets and furniture. Carpet beetles typically don’t eat synthetics.
  • Be aware of and remove any other type of household pests.
CALL IN THE PROSIf you’ve followed these suggestions about how to get rid of carpet beetles and still see signs of infestation, contact The Bug Man. We’ll put our environmentally responsible pest control solutions to work for you.

bugman9.com/tip…al/
myusernamehasgone23405/08/2020 12:37

Do you have the link? Might be helpful for others. I believe carpet …Do you have the link? Might be helpful for others. I believe carpet beetles can be a real problem “Carpet beetles, as their name implies, sometimes infest carpets. Similar to clothes moths, the pests also feed on many other items composed of wool, fur, felt, silk, feathers, skins, and leather. Such materials contain keratin, a fibrous animal protein which the larvae are able to digest. Cotton and synthetic fabrics such as polyester and rayon are rarely attacked unless blended with wool, or heavily soiled with food stains or body oils. Infestations of carpet beetles can develop undetected, causing harm to vulnerable items. ”Some intensive cleaning may be required CARPET BEETLE REMOVAL rid of carpet beetles centers around cleaning. You’ll need to remove the eggs, larvae and adult beetles with intensive effort.Vacuuming. As a first step, vacuum areas where you’ve seen adults or larvae such as carpets, rugs, furniture and curtains.Steam cleaning. Your next step involves going over the same areas you vacuumed with a steam cleaner. The heat and moisture in this step removes remaining beetles and eggs.Laundering pillows and clothing. Use hot water and detergent to wash clothes, pillows, towels and linens. If you aren’t comfortable keeping infested clothing or it’s too damaged to wear, dispose of it in plastic bags and place in a sealed garbage container.Wiping or spraying surfaces with vinegar. A mixture of white or apple cider vinegar and water can be applied to shelves, drawers, hangers, window sills and cupboards to remove any dirt or food residue.Applying boric acid. Sprinkling this mild insecticide on carpets, rugs and furniture will kill any remaining beetles. Leave the boric acid dust untouched for two hours, then vacuum the residue and dispose of your vacuum bag.Using an indoor insecticide targeting carpet beetles. These sprays, available from local retailers, can be used around baseboards, under sinks, or in crevices where carpet beetles may hide. They aren’t recommended for use on carpeting, furniture or clothing.Calling a professional exterminator. Carpet beetle removal can be difficult to do on your own. They are persistent and tough household pests, and do-it-yourself treatments aren’t always effective on carpet beetle eggs. CARPET BEETLE PREVENTIONWhen carpet beetles have been removed from your home, steps to prevent another infestation echo the removal process. Getting rid of carpet beetle food sources, vacuuming often, and occasional use of boric acid or indoor insecticides will keep carpet beetles from returning. Since stored clothing or fabrics are targeted by carpet beetles, consider adding cedar or moth balls to your storage boxes or bags.Prevention extends to the exterior of your home.Apply an outdoor insecticide for carpet beetles around the perimeter of your house. Spray the foundation of your home and the soil two to three feet out from the house. Use the insecticide on any potential points of entry such as windows, doorways, vents, or utility pipes.Remove and destroy any bird or insect nests from around your house. Carpet beetles will lay eggs in nests and then can migrate into your home.Repair your screens, since carpet beetles small size makes any hole a potential entryway.CARPET BEETLE DETERRENTSCleaning remains your number one deterrent to keeping carpet beetles out of your house. Trash removal, regular vacuuming, and frequent laundering of clothing, linens and pillows will make your home less inviting to these pests.You can also add barriers to block carpet beetles with a few additional steps:Use plastic containers or bags to store linens or clothing.Carpet beetles don’t like sunlight, so opening drawers and closets to natural light will deter them.Avoid natural fibers in rugs, carpets and furniture. Carpet beetles typically don’t eat synthetics.Be aware of and remove any other type of household pests.CALL IN THE PROSIf you’ve followed these suggestions about how to get rid of carpet beetles and still see signs of infestation, contact The Bug Man. We’ll put our environmentally responsible pest control solutions to work for you.https://bugman9.com/tips-carpet-beetle-removal/

no i don't. my husband did it and he says he is still waiting for the reply. he found it on the internet through google i think.
mutley105/08/2020 12:39

no i don't. my husband did it and he says he is still waiting for the …no i don't. my husband did it and he says he is still waiting for the reply. he found it on the internet through google i think.

Could be worth starting on a deep clean while you wait the response.
myusernamehasgone23405/08/2020 12:43

Could be worth starting on a deep clean while you wait the response.

it does puzzle me why a carpet beetle would be climbing up a door?? wouldn't they stay in the carpet?

it was 2/3rds of the way up the door when i found it. it was on its way to the top of the door!

You are in denial, deep clean your house.
mutley105/08/2020 12:46

it does puzzle me why a carpet beetle would be climbing up a door?? …it does puzzle me why a carpet beetle would be climbing up a door?? wouldn't they stay in the carpet?it was 2/3rds of the way up the door when i found it. it was on its way to the top of the door!

Could have been going to its nest

The info I read suggested cleaning everything shelves, drawers, hangers, window sills and cupboards.

They must get everywhere.

I’m feeling itchy just reading all this
fearona05/08/2020 12:53

You are in denial, deep clean your house.

@fearona is correct

bed bug or carpet beetle advise is the same deep clean required.
@mutley1 any news from the entomologist?
myusernamehasgone23405/08/2020 18:43

@mutley1 any news from the entomologist?

you gotta be joking right?? i am not expecting to hear anything back for at least a couple of weeks!
mutley105/08/2020 18:45

you gotta be joking right?? i am not expecting to hear anything back for …you gotta be joking right?? i am not expecting to hear anything back for at least a couple of weeks!

No I didn't know how long these things take.

I presumed that they would get back to you quickly in case you needed to get pest control in.
myusernamehasgone23405/08/2020 19:00

No I didn't know how long these thing take.I presumed that would get back …No I didn't know how long these thing take.I presumed that would get back to you quickly in case you needed to get pest control in.

lol. i doubt they would be overly concerned about your well being. they are just slightly intrigued to help you identify an insect. they don't run the pest control business

i would expect a turnaround of two to four weeks unless they have some bored staff sitting around with nothing to do, that happens to read the emails coming in.

my money is on the carpet beetle.
mutley105/08/2020 19:08

lol. i doubt they would be overly concerned about your well being. they …lol. i doubt they would be overly concerned about your well being. they are just slightly intrigued to help you identify an insect. they don't run the pest control business i would expect a turnaround of two to four weeks unless they have some bored staff sitting around with nothing to do, that happens to read the emails coming in.my money is on the carpet beetle.

I'm concerned for your welfare even if they aren't.

You already have bites.

It could escalate and become a full infestation, they apparently get everywhere.

Are you just going to deep clean yourself or contact a pest control service?
myusernamehasgone23405/08/2020 19:12

I'm concerned for your welfare even if they aren't.You already have bites. …I'm concerned for your welfare even if they aren't.You already have bites. It could escalate and become a full infestation, they apparently get everywhere. Are you just going to deep clean yourself or contact a pest control service?

deep clean myself? are you joking? i don't even do the cleaning, let alone a deep clean, lol
i will have to get pest control in if we have an infestation. or get a bug spray and zap the house.
Post a comment
@
    Text