EXPIRED

If a tree falls in the forest,and there is nobody there to hear it..

Does it make a sound?

Debated for centuries by philosophers,surprised they never realised that they could just post the question in misc and get the DEFINITIVE answer.

Someone here is BOUND to know the answer.

40 Comments

Banned

No. Thus endeth the thread.

Yes. Thus reigniting this thread.

possibly

Banned

asayer

Yes. Thus reigniting this thread.

I laughed.

You're wrong though.

Endeth the thread once more.

master_chief

I laughed.You're wrong though.Endeth the thread once more.

I laughed too.

I am right though.

starting the thread once more.....

Prove it?!

Depens on what the tree lands on

wiki answers has the answer;

Yes. By definition, sound is: "mechanical vibrations transmitted through an elastic medium" (dictionary.com). Noise doesn't need to be perceived to be defined as "sound" since it is a mechanical entity.

Banned

asayer

I laughed too. I am right though.starting the thread once more.....Prove … I laughed too. I am right though.starting the thread once more.....Prove it?!

I shouldn't have to prove something doesn't happen, it's your job to prove something does!

Thread putteth to bed!

Philosphy - If beer and women arnt the answer then your asking the wrong questions.
Edited by: "micoo" 18th Aug 2010

I would have said no as it isn't a sound if no one hears it, that's my two penneth anyway.

yes it does but no one hears the sound because sound is is made up of vibrations which can only carry a certain distance (dependent on different variables). Therefore yes the sound is made but no one is in ear shot of it so it cannot be heard but it is made.

QED
Edited by: "numptyj" 18th Aug 2010

It makes a different sound, like the sound of a sreaming women out of a classic horror film and a fart sound when it hits the deck oO

Of course it produces a sound, just because there is no one there to hear it doesn't make any difference to the physics regarding how noise is produced.

Original Poster

asayer

wiki answers has the answer;Yes. By definition, sound is: "mechanical … wiki answers has the answer;Yes. By definition, sound is: "mechanical vibrations transmitted through an elastic medium" (dictionary.com). Noise doesn't need to be perceived to be defined as "sound" since it is a mechanical entity.

wiki-pah! a thing isnt fact until the MISC has spoken!

It makes sound waves.:D

Meh, I am not that bothered to discuss this haha so its a yes from me..... and now i am out

Banned

barky

wiki-pah! a thing isnt fact until the MISC has spoken!

Wikis eh, those well known scientific journals!

didn't spot you there MC with the avi change, I'll be on full stalking alert now though

if it falls it usually falls of the end of the world....... douche!

It really hangs on which definition of sound you look at.

This one
a. Vibrations transmitted through an elastic solid or a liquid or gas, with frequencies in the approximate range of 20 to 20,000 hertz, capable of being detected by human organs of hearing.

says capable so the answer would have to be yes then.

Banned

numptyj

didn't spot you there MC with the avi change, I'll be on full stalking … didn't spot you there MC with the avi change, I'll be on full stalking alert now though

Was getting fed up as being dismissed as an Apple geek with the other one so I'm aiming for Paedo with a cartoon character one...

Banned

IF NOBODY IS THERE HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IT FELL

sassie

MIND = BLOWN

thread thrown wide open!
Edited by: "numptyj" 18th Aug 2010

sassie

It wouldn't be standing up.

Banned

danmc

It wouldn't be standing up.

never thought of that - lol

Yes if that man is Nobody, aka Odysseus, because Nobody blinded the giant cyclops!

ask Hawking, if he cant answer then we are **** ed
Edited by: "sparkyIreland" 18th Aug 2010

sassie

never thought of that - lol

This is why men inherited the earth.

Banned

MinstrelMan

[This is why men inherited the earth.

its been a long day oO

MinstrelMan

This is why men inherited the earth.

....and why we've made a mess of it....

we are assuming the tree did fall, but how big a tree? LOL

/thread

Bambi would have heard it.

If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him is he still wrong? oO

patience_1

....and why we've made a mess of it....

hippy! lol

No, it doesn't make a sound. All it can do is create movement in the gas/liquid/solid molecules around it. This movement of particles is only sound if is interpreted as such by a living being with the sensory and brain capacity to make this interpretation. (well that's what I believe)

well just because there's not any people there to hear it there's bound to be some animals around to hear. Plus who says other plants/trees can't hear by way of vibrations through them lol. Aren't some plants meant to like singing? That must mean they can hear. Trouble is who can ask the other plants if the falling tree made a noise?

Little Munchkin

well just because there's not any people there to hear it there's bound … well just because there's not any people there to hear it there's bound to be some animals around to hear. Plus who says other plants/trees can't hear by way of vibrations through them lol. Aren't some plants meant to like singing? That must mean they can hear. Trouble is who can ask the other plants if the falling tree made a noise?

We could always send Prince Charles in. http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/jumpingphil/giggle1.gif

Banned

Susannah

No, it doesn't make a sound. All it can do is create movement in the … No, it doesn't make a sound. All it can do is create movement in the gas/liquid/solid molecules around it. This movement of particles is only sound if is interpreted as such by a living being with the sensory and brain capacity to make this interpretation. (well that's what I believe)

wow tape recorders have come along way -lol

sassie

wow tape recorders have come along way -lol

Yep, they're aive now...

animals, birds, insects will hear the tree fall

So it must make a sound
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764017
    2. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports813
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846094
    4. hOW SHOCKED WERE YOU AT THE GLASGOW FRUIT MARKET CONFLAGRATION??77

See more discussions