If after an car accident the guilty party deny liability who pays for the hire car while mine is being repaired?

Found 14th Jan 2013
I wrote previously about the old man who crashed into me and drove away (i got his registration). Anyway my insurance company instructed Enterprise to provide me with a hire car, initially they offered me a 3 door Corsa but with 2 toddlers and a 6 year old i said it wasn't suitable - i drive an mpv. They then said i could pay the extra and upgrade to a bigger car. The following day they called back and the guy said he was going to contact my insurance with regards to trying to get them to agree to give the okay for me getting a larger car. He said this could take a few days, he called me back about 30 minutes later saying they said i could have the equivalent to what i have. They dropped it off today when i was out and they asked for a credit card so my hubby gave him his. If the insurance company of the person who bumped into me refuse to accept liability will i have to pay for the hire car? Is this why they took the credit card details?
Community Updates
MiscCarCar Hire
24 Comments
Banned
If your insurance policy has cover for car hire when repaired and the accident is your fault, they will cover the costs. If its his fault, his insurance company will cover the costs. If its your fault and you dont have hire cover, then you will foot the bill. Its unusual for the insurance company to get involved if the later was likely.
You're liable for the hire car charges if it goes south - you've entered a credit hire agreement.

telegraph.co.uk/mot…tml
I have heard of something called uninsured losses, basically, if his insurance company do not pay, you can take him as an individual to a small claims court, to pay for any out of pocket expenses, such as losing your no claims bonus.

Note, a work collegue of mine had an accident, while he went over to get the witness details, the other car drove off. So, he went to the police, with the reg etc & the witness. Police went to the owners house who denied it was him. Police have done nothing.
It's not straightforward. If you have hire car cover on your insurance policy, it is likely to cover no more than a basic hire car (a 3 door Corsa). If you want something more on your own policy then you have to pay for it.

However, if you can claim off someone else's policy, because it was their fault, then you are quite within your rights to get a replacement car of a similar type to your damaged car whilst it's off the road. There are a fair number of ambulance chasers around who will act for you for free and get you a decent hire car while you can't drive yours. A simple Google search came up with this

Ambulance Chaser

I dealt with one of them a good few years ago (not the above company) and have to admit that they did a reasonable (if somewhat slow) job.
Banned
in-car dash cams are the way forward, pick them up for £20 delivered on ebay and provided video evidence of what happened, most wont pick up number plates as cars are whizzing past. Just dont get one with GPS that tracks your speed unless you always stick under the limit.

i have two camera's (front and rear) in my car both running with 8gb sd card. the roadhawk systems look good but are expensive and video quality is not much better than the ebay ones!
I'd be very wary abt taking on too big a hire vehicle. Been a few cases where the hirers had to pay for hire.
If your insurance does not pay out, and the old guy denies it, you will have to pay your excess, and your premiums will go up. If you don't have hire car cover, then you will also have to pay for that as well. They have taken the credit card details to put a hold on a deposit for the hire car because although it is included, the hire car company need a deposit incase you crash their car. Which is why having all these fancy dancy covers isn't really worth it, just borrow a car from someone if you can.
Original Poster
I do have a hire car on my policy i just wasn't sure if i would have to pay the difference between the basic car and the car they have given me if the other company don't pay out. What's worse is it is the most awful car ever. They didn't have a regular MPV in stock so they upgraded me to a large MPV at no additional cost (so they say) suddenly the Corsa is not looking so bad.
I drive a Nissan Tino they have given me a Hyundai I800 which looks like a cross between a taxi and a transit van and no i can't park it, it dosn't seem to fit in a regular parking space.
You dont seem to be having much luck, I hope it works out for you.
"Airport Transfer" vehicle X)
Original Poster
lisajohnsonxxx

You dont seem to be having much luck, I hope it works out for you.

I've just never had an accident before and i now realise this whole accident thing is not as simple as i first thought lol. It's really not that bad just a bit of a hassle :0)
I did something similar a few weeks ago.

HGV hit me, I knocked back the Corsa courtesy car & went through the insurance partner to get a 4x4 (which is what I drive now). Didn't pay anything as all costs recovered from other party.

Now other party is denying he hit me & says I hit him !!!

No idea where this leaves me, I know I'm out of pocket for my Excess, as I think the insurance company are going to go 50:50 on it (although HGV swapped lanes & hit my rear quarter - i was extremely annoyed !!!).

I'm further on down the line from you, so will drop you an update when I find out.....
It could be that the card was taken for additional charges on the hire car such as speeding tickets etc. that the insurance won't cover.
Card is normally taken for £15 of fuel you should have in the vehicle when it is dropped off.

they asked for a credit card so my hubby gave him his...Is this why they … they asked for a credit card so my hubby gave him his...Is this why they took the credit card details?

Wait - you gave them your credit card details without asking them why???
ewan231210

I do have a hire car on my policy i just wasn't sure if i would have to … I do have a hire car on my policy i just wasn't sure if i would have to pay the difference between the basic car and the car they have given me if the other company don't pay out. What's worse is it is the most awful car ever. They didn't have a regular MPV in stock so they upgraded me to a large MPV at no additional cost (so they say) suddenly the Corsa is not looking so bad.I drive a Nissan Tino they have given me a Hyundai I800 which looks like a cross between a taxi and a transit van and no i can't park it, it dosn't seem to fit in a regular parking space.

I drive a tino too, gr8 for 3 kids car seats in the back, so are Vectras, a bit tight but grand
cis_groupie

Wait - you gave them your credit card details without asking them why???

It may bea ecurity thing incase you disappear off the face off the earth with their car, check the contract / papr work, i don't think they can take money without your prior agreement, It would't do any harm to contact youir credit card company and ask them not to process anything from this company without speaking to you first, but like I say it's probably a security thing incase they don't get paid. hope it works out for you
This is why if I ever have a car crash the police are called, they do all the paper work and decide who's at fault there and then, my insurance couldn't have been more helpful when I did this.
You were lucky the police turned up.
Alfonse

This is why if I ever have a car crash the police are called, they do all … This is why if I ever have a car crash the police are called, they do all the paper work and decide who's at fault there and then, my insurance couldn't have been more helpful when I did this.

How did you persuade the other driver to hang around until the police arrived?

Or did the police simply believe everything you told them because the other driver wasn't there?
Lol, Ron you do try.

Since the other driver pulled out on me, failing to give way, their car wasn't going any where with the front sheared off and a wheel missing......

Also its illegal to leave the scene of an accident......

Nice try do Ron Ron
Alfonse

Lol, Ron you do try.Since the other driver pulled out on me, failing to … Lol, Ron you do try.Since the other driver pulled out on me, failing to give way, their car wasn't going any where with the front sheared off and a wheel missing......Also its illegal to leave the scene of an accident......Nice try do Ron Ron

Are you still at the scene then ?(_;)
Inactive

Are you still at the scene then ?(_;)

yes, I speak of the event in the past tense and yet you ask if I'm still at the scene.............

such a Richard
Edited by: "Alfonse" 16th Jan 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants