if i have two ide dvd drives but motherboard only has sata, what would be the best add on to get the drives working ?

12 Comments
amazon.co.uk/Sta…13Y or something similar to that - it has two channels so you could plug one dvd in as master and another as slave to its one port.
as above or better getting 2 sata dvd-rw drives for about £20
orig

as above or better getting 2 sata dvd-rw drives for about £20

Yeah, unless they're unusual in some way chuck them out and get an SATA model. It's not going to be much more expensive than an IDE to SATA converter or IDE HBA card. Chances are if you ask around someone may have one going spare.
Hmm problem is the older drives are usually better than newer ones.
Nowadays they are just chucked out cheaply in comparison to older drives that have better error correction.

There was a recommended list for audio extraction and no new drives are on there just older ide drives.

I have an ide connector on my motherboard just for my optical drive.
Edited by: "trott3r" 21st Feb 2016
I tried one of those block adaptors that fit over the ide connector and it gave problem thus i expect an ide controller would be best such as a pci card.
trott3r

Hmm problem is the older drives are usually better than newer … Hmm problem is the older drives are usually better than newer ones.Nowadays they are just chucked out cheaply in comparison to older drives that have better error correction.There was a recommended list for audio extraction and no new drives are on there just older ide drives.I have an ide connector on my motherboard just for my optical drive.

Had to double check this as it has been a while. According to Exact audio copy my SATA Liteon iHAS624 B has No Caching and Accurate Stream and C2 Error supported. Seems to work ok in secure mode
kester76

Had to double check this as it has been a while. According to Exact audio … Had to double check this as it has been a while. According to Exact audio copy my SATA Liteon iHAS624 B has No Caching and Accurate Stream and C2 Error supported. Seems to work ok in secure mode

Its not a case of it working but the end result is supposed to be better.
It might have been dbamp as i use EAC myself and i know it was not that forum.
trott3r

Its not a case of it working but the end result is supposed to be better

When it comes to error correction what's the difference? If it works the result is bit perfect compared with the disk, if it's not then there's too many errors for the encoding to recover the data.
trott3r

Its not a case of it working but the end result is supposed to be … Its not a case of it working but the end result is supposed to be better.It might have been dbamp as i use EAC myself and i know it was not that forum.

I found dbpoweramp to be a lot faster at ripping under windows 7, not sure if it's better though.
EndlessWaves

When it comes to error correction what's the difference? If it works the … When it comes to error correction what's the difference? If it works the result is bit perfect compared with the disk, if it's not then there's too many errors for the encoding to recover the data.

Sorry for being vague it has been a while since i looked for a new optical drive.

In the EAC log you can see a confidence level on how good the rip is.

In a cd player there is error correction in the form of interpolation which is educated guess work which degrades the sound. Maybe it is the same when a cd is ripped?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions