If I purchase a new switch console on ebay do i still get the 12 month manufacturers warranty?

Posted 11th Apr
Or is it void due to not being the original purchaser ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
deleted2473787
If the console is not being sold by a business then I believe the warranty starts from the original purchase date, but obviously you would need the receipt / proof of purchase to make a claim. I stand to be corrected if this is misleading information.
Edited by: "deleted2473787" 12th Apr
If it is advertised new then yes the implication is that it is not a private seller.

If a private seller having purchased and then selling on with the warranty having already commenced then by definition this is not new but "like-new" and mis advertised.

Easiest way to find out is to query when the warranty period commenced and if anything but from when you purchase then you have your answer.
deleted1279550
I think you would need the original proof of purchase (receipt and or invoice ) . Also if the payment method was credit or debit on either I would avoid (cash is king again)
Is there a 12m manufacturer warranty available from anywhere?
For guarantee purposes your 12 month guarantee is between you and the seller, if it's a business seller on ebay you are covered by law. For a manufacturer guarantee it would need to be purchased from an official NIntendo retailer. Private seller = no guarantee beyond paypal protection.
Bertz9911/04/2020 12:53

If it is advertised new then yes the implication is that it is not a …If it is advertised new then yes the implication is that it is not a private seller.If a private seller having purchased and then selling on with the warranty having already commenced then by definition this is not new but "like-new" and mis advertised.Easiest way to find out is to query when the warranty period commenced and if anything but from when you purchase then you have your answer.

Sorry but you are completely wrong, new just means the box remains sealed, it is nothing to with being a business seller or warranty/guarantee.
Azwipe12/04/2020 12:13

Sorry but you are completely wrong, new just means the box remains sealed, …Sorry but you are completely wrong, new just means the box remains sealed, it is nothing to with being a business seller or warranty/guarantee.

The question comes under which acts in law you are covered by.

A business transaction (which is inferred under the "new") comes under Consumer Rights Act. You are not just advertising sealed but the full coverage new entails without any lifespan spent.

A second hand private sale falls back to the Sales of Goods Act and in the definition is not new (as otherwise Consumer Rights apply).

You can not sell for new yet claim the buyer can have only the rights afforded to a consumer of a second hand private sale, beside an oxymoron, it would not stand up to any challenge made.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 12th Apr
Azwipe12/04/2020 12:10

For guarantee purposes your 12 month guarantee is between you and the …For guarantee purposes your 12 month guarantee is between you and the seller, if it's a business seller on ebay you are covered by law. For a manufacturer guarantee it would need to be purchased from an official NIntendo retailer. Private seller = no guarantee beyond paypal protection.

Two observations:
No such concept as 12month guarantee from business seller.
PayPal guarantees the buyer should receive the item purchased but does not offer nor support warranty.
AndyRoyd12/04/2020 05:06

Is there a 12m manufacturer warranty available from anywhere?

Could some knowledgeable member post a URL to the suggested 12 months manufacturer warranty, assuming one exists. Thanks.
AndyRoyd12/04/2020 16:33

Could some knowledgeable member post a URL to the suggested 12 months …Could some knowledgeable member post a URL to the suggested 12 months manufacturer warranty, assuming one exists. Thanks.

cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/med…pdf
@inceptionhead : some text as lifted from the (likely) applicable warranty PDF posted by Bertz99: "This warranty does not cover... the Product if it has been resold...
AndyRoyd12/04/2020 18:13

Comment deleted

Hi Andy - nope I don't just saw it under Nintendo Germany that they are based from in Europe but no other depth than answering your question I'm afraid.
Bertz9912/04/2020 18:19

Hi Andy - nope I don't just saw it under Nintendo Germany that they are …Hi Andy - nope I don't just saw it under Nintendo Germany that they are based from in Europe but no other depth than answering your question I'm afraid.

Only asking because the 24m warranty doc doesn't seem much different, other than (obvsly) 24months term:
cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/med…pdf
AndyRoyd12/04/2020 18:20

Only asking because the 24m warranty doc doesn't seem much different, …Only asking because the 24m warranty doc doesn't seem much different, other than (obvsly) 24months term:https://cdn02.nintendo-europe.com/media/downloads/support_1/nintendoswitch/NSwitch_HardwareWarranty_EN.pdf

would go with yours tbh as that is what it takes me to via nintendo.co.uk/Sup…htm

interesting that both doc's exist mind
Edited by: "Bertz99" 12th Apr
Bertz9912/04/2020 18:26

would go with your tbh as that is what it takes me to via …would go with your tbh as that is what it takes me to via https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Switch/Warranty/Warranty-1197434.htminteresting that both doc's exist mind

Yeah, the offical Uk site is where I found the 24m doc ref, but the implication there is that an exclusive benefit of a purchase from the official UK store provides a longer manufacturer warranty than if purchased from other sources.
Note the 24m doc is dated March 2020; whereas the 12m doc is dated Feb 2017. Also note the later 24m doc has a lower sequential(?) number than the 3 years earlier 12m doc. Go figure.
Bertz9912/04/2020 12:29

The question comes under which acts in law you are covered by.A business …The question comes under which acts in law you are covered by.A business transaction (which is inferred under the "new") comes under Consumer Rights Act. You are not just advertising sealed but the full coverage new entails without any lifespan spent.A second hand private sale falls back to the Sales of Goods Act and in the definition is not new (as otherwise Consumer Rights apply).You can not sell for new yet claim the buyer can have only the rights afforded to a consumer of a second hand private sale, beside an oxymoron, it would not stand up to any challenge made.

This is how ebay define new, anything else is irrelevant.

New
: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in the original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in the retail shop. If the item comes straight from the manufacturer it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag.
AndyRoyd12/04/2020 16:30

Two observations:No such concept as 12month guarantee from business …Two observations:No such concept as 12month guarantee from business seller.PayPal guarantees the buyer should receive the item purchased but does not offer nor support warranty.

Wrong, a business seller on ebay has to abide by the sale of goods act just like Currys, Amazon etc. Paypal has nothing to do with it. The seller could ask you to prove that the item was sold with the fault after 6 months but most decent business sellers just stick to the old 12 month rule.
Azwipe12/04/2020 18:35

Wrong, a business seller on ebay has to abide by the sale of goods act …Wrong, a business seller on ebay has to abide by the sale of goods act just like Currys, Amazon etc. Paypal has nothing to do with it. The seller could ask you to prove that the item was sold with the fault after 6 months but most decent business sellers just stick to the old 12 month rule.

Wrong? Look at your statement of
"For guarantee purposes your 12 month guarantee is between you and the seller, if it's a business seller on ebay you are covered by law."
There is no 12 months (legal) guarantee, period. How busnesses choose to potentially offer a suggestion of enhanced support is immaterial. Any inference of "12 month guarantee" actually lessens the mandatory legal obligations that businesses must provide to consumers.
Azwipe12/04/2020 18:32

This is how ebay define new, anything else is irrelevant.New: A brand-new, …This is how ebay define new, anything else is irrelevant.New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in the original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in the retail shop. If the item comes straight from the manufacturer it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag.

The legal framework you are operating within is not irrelevant and funnily enough ebay do not have authority over it.

If a person receives "new" goods and finds they can not register the warranty that "new" electrical goods would have or the period is less than if they had purchased "new" goods they would be at liberty to reject. I'll let you guess which side ebay would support in that situation

Perhaps you would like to check Amazon's sellers guide to on what they recommend for their seller by each product type:
sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/gp/…950

I love how cars and electrical goods have virtually the same guidance. Although, the way you seem to read it then pre reg cars are not second hand even though already registered, limited warrnaty and the next person buying is buying a second hand car (hence the discount).

However to place it in the words of the formal bodies that prosecute cases:
"The Trades Descriptions Act and the Sale of Goods Act both say that goods have to be as described. Therefore for a product to be called "new" there should have been no transfer to anyone else between the shop and the purchaser. "Even if something is bought and then brought back the next day it is still second-hand," said a spokeswoman for the Department of Trade and Industry."
Edited by: "Bertz99" 13th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions