If I report to the police that I've lost my passport but then I later find it will I be able to use it?

Found 19th Dec 2011
Hi all.

Has anyone had to report their passport lost recently? Can I phone that 101 number and report it or do I have to go to the station? Also, will they give me a reference number?

Been looking for my passport as a proof of ID but can't find it anywhere. I am worried I lost it when I've taken it out with me previously and not realised so I should report it to the police.
I was wondering if I report it lost can I later undo it if it does turn up at some point or will it be 'blocked' or whatever they do with them?
Just wondering whether to turn my place upside down again before reporting it.

Thanks x

7 Comments

No ya passport number gets canceled

she needs the loss or crime ref number first from the police x

Why would you report it to the police if you have just lost it? Is this normal practice?

cdm22

Why would you report it to the police if you have just lost it? Is this … Why would you report it to the police if you have just lost it? Is this normal practice?

I'd assume to try and prevent identity theft.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I submitted a form online to the Passport Office stating my details and everything. They are going to send me the pre-printed form to sign and send back.
If I manage to find the passport before I sign and return this form then all's cushty

Creatzy

No ya passport number gets canceled

Just reporting it to the police won't get it cancelled.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions