If I sign for a parcel for a neighbour from Royal Mail, am I responsible if it gets damaged?

13 Comments
Yes. Of course you are. How else has it got damaged between you signing for it and giving it to the correct person?
Edited by: "SJHan" 30th Oct 2015
Nope
tricky question.

you would not be able to inspect the contents, but suppliers usually ask for items to be checked before signing for and taking delivery
BobIzYaUncle

tricky question.you would not be able to inspect the contents, but … tricky question.you would not be able to inspect the contents, but suppliers usually ask for items to be checked before signing for and taking delivery

The way I've read the OP is that the item wasn't damaged when delivered but is damaged after delivery.
stuarthanley

The way I've read the OP is that the item wasn't damaged when delivered … The way I've read the OP is that the item wasn't damaged when delivered but is damaged after delivery.

I read the OP differently ... They signed for the parcel (for their neighbour), but when the intended recipient opened it it was damaged. No indication as to when the damage occurred. But as BobIzYaUncle says, with most couriers you're only able to sign for delivery, and not check/open the item before signing for it.
IANAL, but would be very surprised if signing for receipt of an item makes you liable for any damage.
Spango

I read the OP differently ... They signed for the parcel (for their … I read the OP differently ... They signed for the parcel (for their neighbour), but when the intended recipient opened it it was damaged. No indication as to when the damage occurred. But as BobIzYaUncle says, with most couriers you're only able to sign for delivery, and not check/open the item before signing for it.IANAL, but would be very surprised if signing for receipt of an item makes you liable for any damage.

Am I responsible if it WAS damaged would suggest it was delivered damaged.
Am I responsible if it GETS damaged would suggest that it's been damaged in the OPS possession.

I think the OP needs to clarify what they're asking.
Original Poster

This. I am being hypothetical. So why would I sign for a neighbours parcel? Anyway If it got damaged after I signed for it what would happen?

Spango

I read the OP differently ... They signed for the parcel (for their … I read the OP differently ... They signed for the parcel (for their neighbour), but when the intended recipient opened it it was damaged. No indication as to when the damage occurred. But as BobIzYaUncle says, with most couriers you're only able to sign for delivery, and not check/open the item before signing for it.IANAL, but would be very surprised if signing for receipt of an item makes you liable for any damage.

whoMODStheMODS

This. I am being hypothetical. So why would I sign for a neighbours … This. I am being hypothetical. So why would I sign for a neighbours parcel? Anyway If it got damaged after I signed for it what would happen?

If you damage it in your possession then you'd be responsible. I'm a postman and I won't sign and accept parcels for neighbours. I also don't try to deliver at neighbours houses unless they see me and volunteer to take the item from me.
Nothing would happen to you but you might fall out with your neighbour because of it.
Lol, so you have damaged a parcel you took in for a neighbour and now asking who is responsible? Is this a joke?
NEtech

Lol, so you have damaged a parcel you took in for a neighbour and now … Lol, so you have damaged a parcel you took in for a neighbour and now asking who is responsible? Is this a joke?

No, it's Britain today
stuarthanley

Am I responsible if it WAS damaged would suggest it was delivered … Am I responsible if it WAS damaged would suggest it was delivered damaged.Am I responsible if it GETS damaged would suggest that it's been damaged in the OPS possession.I think the OP needs to clarify what they're asking.

Totally fair point, dude. I'm a beer too far. ;-)
Original Poster

Yep your right. Well done.

NEtech

Lol, so you have damaged a parcel you took in for a neighbour and now … Lol, so you have damaged a parcel you took in for a neighbour and now asking who is responsible? Is this a joke?

Just sign unchecked, that's all I do.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants